Postby Khally » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:58 am

Meek wrote: Solo Registeration
Guild: Talons Of Liberty
Modalities:
- Survival N/H
-Clocked N/H
-Highscore N

Im still looking for a squad though..

If you've applied for a squad before, I will get back to you once that's been chosen.

I have an exam today, which is why I couldn't work on any updates until now.
There will be an update post today, Dec 10th
Khally

Re: European Vanguard Open-Tournament [Registration Open]

Postby Arise7 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:17 am

Arise7 wrote:Guild: Talons of Liberty (All-Star Squad)

Manager: Arise7

Squad Members: Arise7, TitanSlayer, Tinyweed, CryziesX (1-2 may change at a later date)

Modes: Survival, Time, Head2Head (all hard mode).

Replacing CryziesX with Gun since he doesn't know if he can make it.
Arise7

UPDATE - Dec 10th, 2013

Postby Khally » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:23 am

UPDATE - Dec 10th, 2013
This is a draft and it is subject to change.

We are being sponsored by the forums, which means we are now an official community tournament!
That also means there are possible forum awards, such as graphic work to show off your accomplishments.

Concerning Time and Dates
- Registrations will be closed at 11:59PM of December 13th.

- Solo Events (except HighScore): December 15th - 11PM GMT+0
- Squad Events & Solo HighScore: December 16th - 10PM GMT+0
- Head-to-Head: December 17th - 10PM GMT+0

- Sessions will last approximately 3h. If you cannot be present, inform a tournament officer until the 13th and you will be given an opportunity to participate if time allows it, on the following day.
- Participants MUST be present at the scheduled time.
- Order will be selected randomly.
- If you're not present, you will be given a 10-minute limit to turn up, or you will be disqualified.

Concerning organization
- The event will have full stream coverage by the Survey Corps 27th Division guild with live commentary at twitch.tv/27thSurveyCorps
- Two new tournament officers, Bryne Arnstadt (The Vanguard) and Empath (SC 27th Division).
- We will require a Skype/Evolve contact for every Solo participant and one for the representant of each Squad. Please send a PM asap to the tournament officers mentioned above and myself.

Concerning the modalities
- If there is a crawler amongst the three initial titans, you will be given the option to restart your run.
- In Survival, you lose your right to a second attempt if you reach wave 5.
- Changed the number of waves of Solo Clocked to 5 (from 7).
- Changed the number of waves of Solo HighScore to 4 (from 5).
- Normal difficulty has been removed from Squad events. All Squad events are now carried out with Hard difficulty.
- Head-to-Head will consist of a double-elimination competition. Exact details to be announced on the 14th.
- If you do not engage the titans for 30 seconds, you will be warned. Failure to engage will result in disqualification.

These changes will also be included on the original post soon. We expect every single participant to be aware of all these, "I didn't read" is not an excuse.
Khally

Re: [OFFICIAL] European Vanguard Open-Tournament | Reg. Open

Postby Teitoto » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:57 am

Khally wrote:

Why don't we do all of this beetween Friday-Sunday ?
Won't it be easier to be there on weekends than on weekdays ?
Teitoto

Postby Khally » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Teitoto wrote:
Khally wrote:

Why don't we do all of this beetween Friday-Sunday ?
Won't it be easier to be there on weekends than on weekdays ?

I have no way of attending during the weekend. I would have set it like you asked, if it was possible for me.
Khally

Postby Teitoto » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Too bad i can't be there at 10 pm in weekdays :c
Teitoto

Postby Khally » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Teitoto wrote:Too bad i can't be there at 10 pm in weekdays :c

It's 10PM GMT. Also, events will take place for roughly 3 hours. So if you can't make it to the start, you can come later on. As long as you let us know before-hand.
Khally

Postby Teitoto » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:45 pm

I'll try to make it in time then thanks anyway :o
Teitoto

Postby Tethys » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:07 am

Hey there Khally,

I apologise for the very last minute questions regarding your tournament, it's just that I only very recently found out about it at all!

First of all I'd like to thank you for putting in the time and effort to get your tournament even this far. From what I can tell from your description of your tournament's proposed details it appears to be rather well thought out and devised. So thank you very much! I'm sure it took a lot of planning and brainstorming, etc.

In terms of the nitty-gritty details, there are just a few things that I'd like to draw your attention to.

Firstly, the hosts. Will there be a single host who will act as host for every single game throughout the tournament's duration? Or will there be several hosts? If there are several hosts, how similar is the quality of each host's network server? That is, how close are the different hosts located to one another, and are there any significant differences in the quality of their network parameters?
This is something to be concerned about because if, for instance, we're talking about pulling off high-risk maneuvers in the Clocked event, then even a difference of 30ms or 40ms latency can spell the difference between (i) successfully pulling off that maneuver flawlessly and (ii) narrowly failing to pull off that maneuver by a hair's breadth and subsequently dying.
There can also be considerable differences in FPS/camera shift quality for different people on different servers, especially when there's a significant distance between the guest and the host.

Having said all this, I fully understand that your tournament is clearly advertised as a European tournament, and so the fact that many people will have latency and FPS issues shouldn't be a surprise. But simply given the fact that it appears that a very large proportion of the competitors so far appear to not be from Europe, I would suggest that the host issue might be something worth trying to find an effective solution to.

One suggestion might be - and I'm surprised that nobody appears to have raised this as of yet - to allow each player (for the solo competition, at the very least) to create their own server, and to invite some representative of the Tournament to join said server in order to view the match and ensure that all regulations, etc, are followed. This would allow each player in the Solo category to perform at their very best, and this would of course make for much better spectating. There really is a very huge difference between an expert player playing with 0ms latency and that same expert player playing with 150+ ms latency; you can tell simply by observing the maneuvers they attempt and how cleanly they pull them off. If the organisers of the tournament desire their competition's results to carry any sense of legitimacy or validity then it's going to be crucial that there aren't differences of 100-200+ ms latency between certain competitors.

Another thing that may be potentially concerning is that somewhere in this thread it was stated that there may be 3-4 spectators per game? For a number of people, being in a game that's hosted thousands of kilometres away, with hundreds of milliseconds of latency, having even two other people in the game is going to significantly increase the chance of desynchronisation. And I would assume that if a player desync's halfway through their game, that they aren't going to be afforded an opportunity to retry (because, for instance, you will have no way of knowing whether they in fact deliberately left the game). And so for this reason I would strongly suggest that each game be regulated by just a single Tournament official. To do otherwise will potentially create issues.

I'm also interested as to how you plan to time the Clocked events?
Simply setting a time when the game is created, and working down from that obviously is not going to work, as there will be huge variance in the amount of time it takes a player to actually get into the game. Are you simply going to use a stopwatch or a clock timer? Or will you have some sort of overlayed digital clock running on your computer while observing each competitor? How will you signify the beginning of each event? Perhaps you'll use a flare? But if you use a flare, then that means that the person observing the competition must necessarily be alive. And if that observer is alive, then she/he will potentially alter the playing field for the competitor by attracting titans in various directions. This means that it's probably going to be a good idea to have the observer suicide as soon as possible so that she/he does not present a disturbance to the game. However, how will you ensure that the first wave of titans is equally distributed throughout the forest for each competitor, from game to game to game? If the competitor's time does not start immediately upon game creation (because it may take one player 10 seconds to get in, and another 40 seconds) how do we ensure that the layout of the first wave is fair from one game to the next? If one game doesn't start for 40 seconds and another doesn't start for 100 minutes, then it's likely that the titans will be much more closely bunched for the game that took an extra minute to begin, and this is a very distinct advantage. Is there a standard starting position that you will insist each player begin their match from? Concerns of this sort of nature are another reason why having just a single observer is going to be a better idea than having multiple observers; the fewer observers you have in each game, the fewer potential extraneous variables there are that may disrupt a player's game.

But yeah, just a few concerns. And I'd really like to make clear that I'm not trying to be harsh simply for the sake of being harsh, and I really admire the fact that somebody's been willing to take the time to put this together. But I just thought it necessary in the sake of fairness to bring up several of these issues that may potentially skewer results in one direction or another. My primary concern is actually the hosting issue. I think that it really would be the best for the success of the tournament to allow the Solo events to be hosted by each individual competitor in order to eliminate lag issues; otherwise there's just way too much potential variance in the conditions that each player will be competing under.
Tethys

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments