AoG Wolf Winter Games 2014 [Concluded]

All tournament-related things go here. ☆-(ノ゚Д゚)八(゚Д゚ )ノ
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

AoG Wolf Winter Games 2014 [Concluded]

Postby boofed » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:01 pm

CONGRATULATIONS KNIGHTS OF REDEMPTION

The following prizes have been awarded to Knights of Redemption, Titan Reapers, Faith In Humanity, and all participants. The gold cape goes to Knights of Redemption, silver to Titan Reapers, and bronze to Faith In Humanity. All participants in the AWWG tournament will receive a red cape. Each cape is embellished with a special logo detailing the cape wearer's placement in the tournament.

The AoG Wolf Winter Games was an Olympic-style, point-based tournament for guild competition held in the US region.
Players had the opportunity to represent their guilds by participating in various events in which they could score points for their guild. The guild with the most points at the end of the tournament was victorious.

This tournament could not have existed without the aid from the administration staff, ninnymonger (27th Survey Corps), Okami (Wolf), Tailex (SnK), and Xedma (Talons of Liberty), as well as those who helped us along the way, Shon97 (Knights of Redemption), DEATH (Knights of Redemption), Zarythe (Talons of Liberty), Sykotix (Knights of Redemption), MeekRhino (unaffiliated), and Cyrus (Freelancer). Of course, the tournament would never have made it past day 2 without the special aid of Feng Lee himself, as communicated through Zarythe to the administration team. Feng and Zarythe, you have my deepest gratitude for saving this tournament single-handedly. We could not have done it without you. Thank you.

I would also like to thank SashaKai for the incredible prize art and Josh for creating the Anti-Cheat mod.

Scores
Spoiler:
The scores (updated live) can be found as a google spreadsheet at the following link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a5VO1SG7qRoniToXt6XXblcnQp9JheH8XIzChbFQ7B4/edit#gid=189752886

FAQ
Spoiler:
1.) Will update 11182014 affect the tournament?
By the time the tournament rolls around, you should have had enough exposure to the new update to perform just as well as before the update. Especially with the removal of Punk titans, we don't think the most recent changes will have a big impact on the game. However, if a significant number of players protest to playing the new update because of the changes, we will consider holding the tournament on an older version of the game. If we do decide that the tournament will be held on an older version of the game, we will announce it to as many people as possible after the registration deadline. Please send your concerns to the above email address if you have any.

2.) Why can't I use the RC mod?
The RC mod is banned from this tournament because it allows its users to air-reload, which is not available to those not using the mod. Additionally, one could conceive some clever skin textures that make the tips of their blades, character, or titans easier to see, thus improving their abilities.

3.) Will the tournament be livestreamed?
Yes. Plans for streaming the event live on twitch have been put in motion and we are expecting to have a functional stream set up for anyone to watch. While we have a couple of choices lined up already for stream host, it's not too late volunteer for the position. If you're an experienced, serious streamer and are available at the event times, you can volunteer by sending an email to the address above. Additionally, if you would like to volunteer for a commentator/shoutcaster position, send us an email and we will contact you.

4.) I'm from EU and none of these event times are good times for me! Why?
Unfortunately, this tournament is not large enough to be international. Crossing the borders in terms of event times would take considerable organization and some serious dedication. While we would love to offer reasonable times for everybody, the fact of the matter is we can't. The times are currently set such that US players on the west coast will be competing in the afternoon after lunchtime and east coast players will be competing in the evening before and after dinner times. This means it will be very early in the morning EU time, but there isn't a way we can change that.

5.) How many guild members can I bring to the tournament?
The minimum number for any guild is 5 and the maximum number is 33. If you bring 5 members, it means all 5 will have to participate in at least one event. If you bring 33, it means that each individual guild member will be participating (or substituting) in only one event throughout the whole tournament. Anyone is permitted to play in more than one event, since the events are spread out over time.

6.) I don't have an account on these forums and I want to sign my guild up! What do I do?
No problem. Send your registration form in an email to the address at the top of this page.

7.) What difficulty will the servers be running on?
All event servers will be hosted on Normal difficulty only.

8.) My question wasn't listed here and I can't find an answer! What do I do?
Send your questions to the email address above or post them here on the forums and we will get you an answer as soon as possible.

Dates & Times
Spoiler:
Dates
Dates are subject to change, but are very unlikely to change. Dates will not change past the registration deadline (December 16th).

December 20th - Racing Akina / Colossal Titan II
December 21st - Annie II / The Forest (Solo)
December 22nd - The Forest III / The Forest (Team)

Times
These times are subject to change until one day after the registration deadline (December 17th). If a listed time conflicts with your schedule, contact boofed or another tournament administrator. If there are enough people who have conflicting schedules, an event may be rescheduled for a later time or you may be allowed to make additional player substitutions. If you are having trouble converting the times below to your timezone, use this Time Zone Converter.

December 20th
Racing Akina - 5:00 PM EST
Colossal Titan II - 8:00 PM EST

December 21st
Annie II - 5:00 PM EST
The Forest (Solo) - 8:00 PM EST

December 22nd
The Forest III -5:00 PM EST
The Forest (Team) - 8:00 PM EST

Registration
Spoiler:
The deadline for guild registration is December 16th.

Only guild leaders can sign their guild up to participate. Guilds must have a forum post under the "Guilds" section of the forums to verify the current leader of each guild. If your guild does not have a forum post, please send an email using the address at the top of the post and we will help you get registered. If a guild has more than one leader, each leader's name must be present under the "Guild leader(s)" query of the registration form and at least one of them should be mentioned in the original forum post for the guild. Guild leaders may sign up his/her players for more than one event. However, only one team per guild may be registered per event. In other words, you cannot register 10 people for Racing Akina. You can register 5 only (not including substitutes), but those same 5 could also be registered for The Forest III.

All registered participants must have Skype and a Skype account. Please include this information in your registration form, where listed. Please make sure you provide the account names of participants. These can be found by right-clicking a name and selecting "View Profile". The person's account name is displayed next to "Skype Name" in the pop-up window.

You should tell your guild members to change their nicknames to their exact in-game identification. This will make it easier for us to tell who is who. We will still be confirming that the right people are in the right server before starting their event.

How to Register
Registration forms must be submitted by private message to boofed on the fenglee forums. Simply copy and paste the entire registration form in to a message, fill it out, and send it with a subject titled "AWWG Registration [Guild Name]." Please note that "Total number of event participants" is the number of unique usernames that will be playing in the events, including substitutes, even if they do not end up participating. GUESTS are not permitted for registration. Refer to the example form if you are confused. Make sure to sign your name (no need for a digital signature; just type your username) at the bottom of the form when you are done. Forms that are missing important information or are unsigned will not be accepted until it is provided. I will reply to your message once I have received it and alert you to any missing information. If you have any questions or need help filling out your form, send us an email and we will be happy to help you out. Once your form has been completed successfully, you will be provided with boofed's Skype information for direct contact to make communication easier. If you do not have a Skype account, it is strongly encouraged you make one.

Registration Form
Spoiler:
AoG Wolf Winter Games 2014 Registration Form

Guild name:
Guild leader(s):
Second-in-command (if applicable):
Email:
Guild leader Skype:
Total number of event participants:

Participant usernames
Racing Akina
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
Sub.)

Colossal Titan II
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
Sub.)

Annie II
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
Sub.)

The Forest (Solo)
1.)
Sub.)

The Forest III
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
Sub.)
Sub.)

The Forest (Team)
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
Sub.)

Participant Skype account names (must have same number as "Total number of event participants" above):
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
(...)

I hereby acknowledge that disqualification and/or removal of any player from an event, multiple events, and/or the AoG Wolf Winter Games entirely is at the sole discretion of the Wolf guild administrators, associated tournament administrators, and/or fenglee.com forum administrators and may occur without warning and without a stated reason. I recognize that the AoG Wolf Winter Games may be canceled or discontinued by a Wolf guild administrator at any time and without warning. I agree to assume all responsibility for members of my guild participating in the events and recognize that failure to show, tardiness, and cheating* can result in removal from an event, multiple events, and/or the AoG Wolf Winter Games entirely for not only myself and associated guild participants, but for my entire guild, including non-participant members. I also understand that punishment for unlawful play, poor behavior, and any other action deemed unsuitable by a tournament administrator can include, but is not limited to, removal from future Wolf events. *See "cheating" (Rules).

I have made sure that all my registered guild members have read and reviewed the Event Procedures and Rules sections below prior to participating.

Signed,

Registration Form Example

Spoiler:
Here's an example of a good-looking form:

AoG Wolf Winter Games 2014 Registration Form

Guild name: Wolf
Guild leader(s): boofed
Second-in-command (if applicable): RinKenjin
Email: aogwolfwintergames@gmail.com
Skype (if applicable):
Total number of event participants: 7

Participant usernames
Racing Akina
1.) boofed
2.) RinKenjin
3.) Cyfer
4.) GONOW
5.) DarkAura0113
Sub.) xOkami

Colossal Titan II
1.) xOkami
2.) RinKenjin
3.) Cyfer
4.) GONOW
5.) DarkAura0113
Sub.) boofed

Annie II
1.) xOkami
2.) boofed
3.) Cyfer
4.) GONOW
5.) DarkAura0113
Sub.) RinKenjin

The Forest (Solo)
1.) xOkami
Sub.) RinKenjin

The Forest III
1.) xOkami
2.) boofed
3.) RinKenjin
4.) GONOW
5.) DarkAura0113
Sub.) DOODLEdiddlydoo
Sub.) Cyfer

The Forest (Team)
1.) xOkami
2.) boofed
3.) RinKenjin
4.) Cyfer
5.) DarkAura0113
Sub.) GONOW

Participant Skype account names (must have same number as "Total number of event participants" above):
- blah
- stuff
- people
- and.things
- this.is.a.skype.account.name

I hereby acknowledge that disqualification and/or removal of any player from an event, multiple events, and/or the AoG Wolf Winter Games entirely is at the sole discretion of the Wolf guild administrators, associated tournament administrators, and/or fenglee.com forum administrators and may occur without warning and without a stated reason. I recognize that the AoG Wolf Winter Games may be canceled or discontinued by a Wolf guild administrator at any time and without warning. I agree to assume all responsibility for members of my guild participating in the events and recognize that failure to show, tardiness, and cheating* can result in removal from an event, multiple events, and/or the AoG Wolf Winter Games entirely for not only myself and associated guild participants, but for my entire guild, including non-participant members. I also understand that punishment for unlawful play, poor behavior, and any other action deemed unsuitable by a tournament administrator can include, but is not limited to, removal from future Wolf events. *See "cheating" (Rules).

I have made sure that all my registered guild members have read and reviewed the Event Procedures and Rules sections below prior to participating.

Signed,
boofed

Event Descriptions
Spoiler:
All servers will be hosted on the "Normal" difficulty.

Event servers will consist of all registered players minus substitutes (unless a substitute has already been made) and one tournament administrator. Only one guild is permitted in a server at any given time except in the case of Racing Akina. There will not be any spectators. Most events are Olympic-style "beat the best time" competitions in which guilds compete back-to-back for the best time. The first guild to play will set the time-to-beat for the next guild up and if that time is not beaten, it will remain the best time. All times will be tallied up at the end of each event and winners will be announced. The Forest III and Racing Akina will not have this same style. The Forest III will not be back-to-back, rather guilds will compete in a cascading manner. This event will not wait on the previous game to finish before starting due to how long it will take for each guild to finish. The guild with the next best time will come in second, third best time will come in third, and so on. We encourage you to video-record the event and post it on youtube as you desire, as we may not have the resources to do so ourselves. Tournament administrators will be attentive at all times during each event to ensure everything goes smoothly and to accurately record times. If you are having any issues, it will not be difficult to get their attention.

Racing Akina
A dart to the finish! Show off your 3DMG skills in the AWG (Aog wolf Winter Games) opening ceremony and first event by zipping through the Akina maze alongside yours and every other guild's 5 member team. Claim first, second, or third place by reaching the finish line faster than everyone else. If your guild's whole team makes it there before anyone else you could win 6 points right off the bat, putting your guild in a good position to take home the tournament trophy. One substitute player is permitted.

Colossal Titan II
Face-off against the biggest and baddest titan around. A team of 5 brave souls from each guild can take on the colossal titan to win some tournament points. The fastest teams in taking the behemoth down wins. One substitute player is permitted.

Annie II
Can you handle the acrobatic intensity of Annie? Show how skilled you and your team are by being the fastest to kill her. You get as many respawns as you need, but the more you die, the slower she falls. One substitute player is permitted.

The Forest (Solo)
The true test of skill for a single trained warrior. See how fast you can obliterate every titan in The Forest and score tournament points for your guild in the process. One substitute player is permitted.

The Forest III
The Forest III is a display of endurance and discipline for any team brave enough to endure the huge number of titans. Consistency and kill speed will reign supreme in this event. If your team makes it to the end of wave 20 before 30 minutes, your time will be recorded and pitted against other teams' times. Due to the length of this event, two substitute players are permitted.

The Forest (Team)
Take on The Forest as a team for the ultimate slaughterhouse in this closing event. See how fast you five can kill every last titan in a beautiful shower of gore and bloodshed. One substitute player is permitted.

Event Procedures
Spoiler:
The following are the proper procedures one should adhere to when participating in AoG Wolf Winter Games events.

General Procedures
1.) Check for a Skype message from a tournament administrator containing the server credentials for your event. These will be sent at least ten (10) minutes prior to your event's start time. In the event that you have not received a message and there are less than 10 minutes left until your event starts, contact boofed (Skype: boofed1) or xOkami (Skype: therandommeh).

2.) Prepare yourself for your event by allotting at least ten (10) minutes to open AoTTG at fenglee.com/game/aog/ and login to the game before your scheduled event.

3.) Use the Multiplayer Server Filter function to search for the name of your event server. If you don't see the server at first, check your spelling and refresh the search. If you still don't see it, contact boofed or xOkami.

4.) Enter the server when it appears. You may enter the game, select a character, and warm up if you wish. During this time, you may discuss anything you like with your teammates until the event begins.

5.) When the tournament administrator says "ALL PLAYERS READY" in the chat, everyone is expected to refrain from using the chat for non-game specific purposes until the end of the event unless they have an emergency (see Event Rule 9), so as to prevent chat clutter from making important messages hard to see or locate. Non-game specific means anything outside of the current event you are playing in. For example, "small black hair jumper" or "crawler!" is allowed, but "I really like Tommy" is not. If the chat is getting too cluttered, the TA may issue warnings or take appropriate action to reduce the clutter.

6.) The tournament administrator will now initiate a countdown by announcing a start time using the server's timer, which can be found on the top-right of the screen. The time will be announced in the chat as "START AT [time]." For example, "START AT 1158" means you should start playing when the timer reads "1158." This will usually be no more than 10 seconds from when the tournament administrator announces it.

7.) The tournament administrator will reset the server using his/her mods as soon as the timer reaches the aforementioned value. As soon as the server resets and you spawn in, you may start fighting titans.

8.) When the event has been cleared, the tournament administrator will type in the chat, "EVENT CLEARED." followed by the total time it took to clear the event (start time - end time). You may now leave the server and check back on this forum thread later for the posted results.

9.) Have fun! This tournament is meant to give you all the hype of a real competition, so get pumped!

Racing Akina
1.) When you enter the server, you may spawn in to the game and warm up, but do not use the in-game chat unless you have an emergency. There will be too many people talking at once otherwise and the tournament administrator's messages may get bumped out of view before people can read them. Please note that the server starts a race immediately when it's made. You should follow the general procedures.

2.) Wait for the tournament administrator to start the event. Event Rule 2 will be in effect for all participants. After five minutes, the event will start with the current number of players.

3.) The server will initiate its own countdown automatically after the tournament administrator has reset it.

4.) When the server's countdown has reached 0, the yellow blocking wall will be removed and the event will begin.

5.) You must run the track as it is intended, from start to finish. Any attempt made at exiting the track or using game exploits to improve your time will result in disqualification from the event and tournament. An example of an exploit is the trick where you place a hook in the ground and constantly reel and attack while holding the gas key. If a tournament administrator sees you doing something like this, they will disqualify you. Players are not permitted to report others for something like this unless there is a vast majority of people who witnessed it being done. If you do happen to see someone cheating, take a screenshot and email it to the address above or contact boofed or xOkami on Skype. We will evaluate it and take appropriate action.

6.) The player in first place will win 3 event points for his/her guild, second place will be awarded 2, and third place will be awarded 1. The winning positions will be determined by the server's text at the end of the race when players cross the finish line. Should only one or two guilds make it to the finish line, points will still be allotted to them. For example, if one guild takes both first and second place, they receive 5 points.

Colossal Titan II/Annie II
1.) Follow the general procedures.

2.) The team with the best time will win their guild 3 points, second best 2 points, and third best 1 point.

The Forest (Solo) / The Forest (Team)

2.) You are not permitted to play as a titan (see Event Rule 4)

3.) If you die, you may not re-enter the server or respawn in any way (see Event Rule 5).

4.) The player with the best time will win his/her guild 3 points, second best 2 points, and third best 1 point.

The Forest III

2.) You will be given thirty (30) minutes to reach and clear wave 20. If your team dies before then, you may continue playing until you have cleared the event. The server will be created with more than thirty minutes total time to permit late players and warm-up time.

3.) You may substitute a total of two players at-will at any time during the event with registered substitutes. To substitute a player, one person must first leave the server, and then the substitute may join in. Only two substitutions total may be made. In other words, if player2 steps in for player1 and then player1 comes back and replaces player2, two substitutions have been made. Additionally, if player3 steps in for player4 and then player5 steps in for player6, two substitutions have been made. If more than two substitutions are made, the tournament administrator will leave the server, no times will be recorded, and all players registered for that event, including substitutes, will be disqualified.

4.) As soon as wave 20 has been cleared OR 30 minutes have elapsed, the clock will stop and the event will be over.

5.) The team with the best time will win their guild 3 points, second best 2 points, and third best 1 point.

Rules
Spoiler:
The following rules outline event rules, etiquette rules, and cheating. If a rule is broken, appropriate punishment will be deemed and executed by a tournament administrator. If you have broken a rule and wish to appeal the ruling, contact me (boofed) or another tournament administrator and we will get it sorted out.

Event Rules
1.) Failure to adhere to the Event Procedures may result in punishment from the tournament administrators.

2.) If you are not at your event at the scheduled time, five (5) minutes will be given for you to arrive. If you fail to arrive after five minutes, you will be disqualified from the event and will not be given an opportunity to win points, even if you are the only participant in that event.

3.) Substitutes must be registered on their guild's registration form before the event. They may appear in the event server for which they have been registered as though they are an ordinary contestor, and it will be assumed that a substitution has been made in the roster for that event. For example, if player1, a registered substitute for the event shows up instead of player2, a registered participant for the event, it will be assumed that a substitution has been made.

4.) You are not permitted to play as a titan in any tournament event. If you spawn in as a titan, you will be kicked from the server and disqualified from the event. A substitute will not be permitted to take your place for the event in question.

5.) If you die during an event where respawning only occurs when the server resets (when all humans die or all titans die), you may not respawn until the last player or titan has died. When this happens, the server will be allowed to reset automatically and the tournament administrator will restart the timer. You may begin playing again as soon as the server respawns you. After three (3) failed attempts, the event will end and you or your team will be sent to last place with a did-not-finish ("DNF") time. You may not leave the server and re-enter to respawn. This will result in punishment from the tournament administrator.

6.) You may sign up for multiple events.

7.) Only one player may be registered per guild for solo events, not including substitutes.

8.) If you are part of more than one guild, you must notify both of your guild leaders and resolve amongst yourselves which guild you will be participating for across all events. You may only represent one guild for the entire tournament. If your name appears twice on the Guild Registration Forms, once for two different guilds, you will be immediately stricken from both rosters and disqualified from the tournament.

9.) Emergencies include anything that physically prohibit a player from playing the game. If a player has an emergency, s/he will be given five (5) minutes to switch with a registered substitute. If the amount of total substitutions allowed for the event have been consumed already, an additional substitution may be made without penalty. If no substitute arrives within that time frame, the team will continue with 1 player less than they had before. In the case that an emergency occurs mid-game, the event will continue. The player with an emergency should suicide in the game or leave the server and then coordinate with his/her substitute. Five minutes will still be given, but the event will not stop. The team will continue minus one player, even in solo events. After five minutes, if a substitute has not been made successfully, no players will be permitted to enter and replace the player who had an emergency. For solo events, the event will end and the recorded time will be DNF (did not finish).

10.) In the event that a player needs to be kicked from a server, the tournament administrator will use their mod powers to kick that player.

11.) Titan Eren is not permitted due to how efficiently it can kill large numbers of titans. If Titan Eren is used, accidentally or not, the tournament administrator will reset the server. For each time Titan Eren is used, 1 of the 3 attempt failures permitted will be tallied (See Event Rule 5). The offending player will be warned not to use it again, and then disqualified from the event on the second offense and kicked from the server. A substitution cannot be made for this player. If the same player uses Titan Eren for the third time in another event, s/he will be disqualified from the tournament.

Etiquette Rules
1.) Don't be a douche bag.

2.) Every once in a while, stop and ask yourself, "am I being a douche bag?" If the answer is yes, discontinue what you are doing.

3.) Tournament administrators CAN take action against you for bad behavior. Bad behavior includes (but is not limited to) excessive cursing, bullying, hazing, questioning decisions being made by tournament administrators, harassing, and general douche baggery.

4.) If you are unsure of how to avoid any of the above, please refrain from using the in-game chat system or AoTTG forums to speak to other players (or anyone in general, really).

Cheating
The Wolf guild considers "cheating" to be the use of any client outside of the one found at fenglee.com/game/aog, using a modified version of the web client, or altering the web client in any way. There is one (1) exception to this definition, and that is the Reel-Rebind mod. There are absolutely no other exceptions to this definition. YES. THIS INCLUDES THE RC MOD. We expect all participants to be using a completely vanilla up-to-date version of the game, as it is shipped and packaged by Feng Lee on his website.

Please note that tournament administrators will be given access to a certain mod to help protect and control the servers. This mod can and will kick or ban any members using mods.

1.) If you are not playing the game in a web browser without mods, you are considered to be cheating. This does not include full-screen mode.

2.) The only way to not cheat is to play the game on Feng Lee's website without the use of program modifiers or other third-party programs.

3.) If you are caught cheating, you will be disqualified from the tournament, banished from all future tournaments, and if you are using an abusive mod (as defined by Accelevi), reported to the forum administrators.

4.) If cheating occurs in the middle of an event by one of the event participants, that server will be halted, action will be taken against the cheating player, and the event will restart. If an external player manages to somehow gain access to the server and join the game, our preventative mods should remove him from the server automatically before he can do anything. However, if this fails and significant damage has been done to the server such that the event cannot continue, it is encouraged everyone leave the server and wait for tournament staff to get in contact with your group.

5.) No substitutions may be made for a cheating player. Guilds will have to participate in the event with one player less than they had previously.

6.) If three (3) or more members of a single guild are caught cheating, that guild will be disqualified and banished from all future tournaments.

7.) The only people exempt from this cheating clause are the tournament administrators and livestreaming staff. They are permitted to use selected mods to properly host servers, ensure events go smoothly and accordingly, and guard against vandalism.

Tournament Administrators
Spoiler:
Tournament administrators are needed to help guide the tournament along. I will meet with each TA to make sure they are on the same page as I am when it comes to administrating the tournament before events begin. They will be the ones hosting servers for events and recording times. They are required to have at least read this entire post, word-for-word, and understand their duties. If you wish to volunteer to be a tournament administrator and you are not a member of the Wolf guild, please send an email to aogwolfwintergames@gmail.com or PM boofed on the forums.

Tournament administrators are not required to host servers throughout the entire tournament. Instead, TAs must be available to host and maintain at least one server over the span of the tournament. This way, should you choose to help run the tournament, you can still play in it, too! You won't be allowed to participate in the event you are TAing for, of course, but you can participate in others.

Roster
boofed
xOkami

Livestream Correspondents
Spoiler:
Head Coordinator: SnK Tailex

Commentator: SnK Tailex
Commentator: ToL Xedma

Participating Guilds
Spoiler:
Below is the list of guilds who have expressed interest in the tournament. If a guild has no tag next to their name, they are set and ready to go come tournament time.

The "(incomplete)" tag means the guild has sent in a registration form but something was missing, they forgot to fulfill a registration requirement, or their form is still tentative.
The "(form out-of-date)" tag means the guild was successfully registered in the past, but their form has expired as a result of a change in tournament rules, dates, or times (etc.).

27th Survey Corps
Titan Reapers
Gurren Brigade
Talons of Liberty
Faith In Humanity
Scarlet Wings
Pigeon Legion
Knights of Redemption
Nuevo Mundo
The Squad
Freelancer
Sweater Squad

Forum Signature Advertisement
Spoiler:
You can use the following forum signature to advertise this event across the forums and generate hype:
Code: Select all
[url=http://fenglee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8617][img]http://i.imgur.com/604fKA5.png[/img][/url]

This signature has been approved by Accelevi in a private message conversation I had with him.
Accelevi wrote:It is fine, when I mean no advertising, I mean mostly to personal sites (other blogs/forums/etc). I'd also prefer avoiding Youtube channel promotions and the like, and just using the direct video with the YT tags to make it directly viewable.

This is just for in-forum advertising, which is fine. ^^
[/quote]

Special thanks to Sarruby for intensive review of this post.

Edits (9/16): Added information about events and their servers under "Event Descriptions." Revised the Registration Form. Added Event Rule 11. Amended Racing Akina Procedures, modified General Procedures, and Colossal Titan II/Annie II Procedures. Added a "Participating Guilds" section to list guilds that have completed registration. Amended the "Cheating" clause to allow for Reel-Rebind Mod ONLY. Clarified the registration process and added an example registration form. Did some formatting work to "pretty it up."
Edits (9/17): Included permissions for non-fenglee forum guilds to register. Added a "Special Thanks" section.
Edits (9/19): Added clarification to the role of a tournament administrator. Updated the Event Rules for tournament administrator RC mod. Added Cheating Rule 7. Updated all event procedures to accommodate for TAs using the RC mod (this should make things easier and more streamlined).
Edits (9/20): Disallowed GUEST accounts for registration... Looks like we're going to need production value; Added a "Help Wanted!" for a head of entertainment.
Edits (9/24): Added more general description to the events under "Event Descriptions" to clarify exactly how the events will take place.
Edits (10/2): Made a note about how update (10022014) will not affect the competition.
Edits (10/12): Fixed a typo under Dates & Times from Forest II to Forest III. Added the official event advertisement forum signature to the bottom of the page. Made some formatting fixes to the Event Procedures.
Edits (11/2): Amended the "Cheating" section with updated information about mods and event proceedings in the case of cheating. Added a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section. Fixed formatting on Event Procedures title.
Edits (11/17): Updated the FAQ. Changed nuances about tournament administrator mods.
Edits (11/21): Updated the FAQ and Event Procedures.
Edits (11/22): Fixed the last question on the FAQ to actually have an answer (lol). Added xOkami to the Tournament Administrators Roster.
Edits (11/23): Added a "Livestream Correspondents" section to showcase who will be running and commentating the stream.
Edits (11/28): Changed tournament dates. Added a Skype requirement. Modified Event Procedures, Dates & Times, Registration, Registration Form, and Registration Form Example. Removed "Server Information."
Edits (12/9): Added a definition for the tags appearing next to registered guilds.
Edits (12/24): Concluded the event. Posted final results near the top of the page, and left the rest of it for posterity's sake. Will edit soon in the future to show the prizes.
Last edited by boofed on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:26 am, edited 76 times in total.
boofed

Re: AoG Wolf Winter Games [Registration Open]

Postby Sarruby » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:24 am

EDIT: Spoiler-ified post to make it easier to scroll on the page.
Addressed
I'm working on getting my guild to sign up - I know we have time so it might take a while. Please wait patiently!!

EDIT: I realize that this got long, so I'm adding a short list of everything I'm saying below the horizontal line for simplicity. If something doesn't make sense, please read the text below to see why I asked/suggested it.

Questions:
  1. Are there any special penalties for getting the "Humanity fails" screen (especially in Colossal Titan/Annie)?
  2. Will all not-Feng-forum-based guilds have to make a post or have someone make a post on their behalf saying who their guild leader(s) is? Can designated liaisons sign their guild up instead, in case their guild leader is busy?
  3. In each server will only one guild appear? Or will all guilds enter one room and there be like a bajillion spectators?
  4. Does cheating include the recently OK'ed RC mod, FPS mod, Reel Rebind mod, and/or Guild Name customization (but not player name)? Even if RC isn't OK because of the air reload or something, what about the others?
  5. Are you going to list guilds as they sign up?
  6. Since the registration form is sent from a guild leader's email, are you looking for the other guild leaders' emails when you ask for an email? I don't understand what an Emergency Contact Skype is?

Suggestions:
  1. A brief summary of the events would be helpful.
  2. I recommend having spectator(s) and players enter the game once and then suicide.
  3. You might want to use [1ist] to indent rather than [qu0te].
  4. I recommend that the tournament spectator use the RC mod.
  5. I suggest you have the tournament adminstrator just tell everyone to start at some time specified in the upper right by the timer.
  6. I think you should add a rule to Akina stating players must run the track.

In the meantime, while it's still early, I have some comments/suggestions to make about the tournament:

You should put a brief summary of the events. Like this:
  • Racing Akina (5 entrants) - Fastest time wins
  • Colossal Titan II (Team of 5) - Fastest time to "Humanity Wins" wins
  • Annie II (Team of 5) - Fastest time to "Humanity Wins" screen wins
  • The Forest (Solo) (1 entrant) - Fastest time to clear level wins
  • The Forest (Team of 5) - Fastest time to clear level wins
  • The Forest III (Team of 5) - Fastest time to clear wave 20 wins
Feel free to copy-paste if you want.

Also, I think you might want to use [1ist] to indent rather than [qu0te] because it won't alter the font sizes and such. Like this:
    This is indented.

Are there any special penalties for getting the "Humanity fails" screen (especially in Colossal Titan/Annie)?
boofed wrote:Only guild leaders can sign their guild up to participate. Guilds must have a forum post under the "Guilds" section of the forums to verify the current leader of each guild. If a guild has more than one leader, each leader's name must be present under the "Guild leader(s)" query of the registration form.

I'm not a guild leader (I think? must check lol), but I'm self-designated liaison for this kind of thing. I'll have to make a post saying who the leaders are of my guild because we're not a Feng-forum-based guild.

Will all not-Feng-forum-based guilds have to make a post or have someone make a post on their behalf saying who their guild leader(s) is? Can designated liaisons sign their guild up instead, in case their guild leader is busy?

boofed wrote:1.) Check this forum thread for the name and password of the event server, which will be posted one (1) day before the scheduled event.

boofed wrote:4.) Enter the server when it appears, but do NOT "press 1 to enter the game." If you do press the 1 key out of force of habit upon entering the server, select a character, enter the game, and then quickly press the T button to return to the spawn screen.

Just to be clear, in each server only one guild will appear, right? Or will all guilds enter one room and there be like a bajillion spectators?

Anyway, what I have to say about this - I recommend having spectator(s) enter the game once and then suicide. This is because you cannot follow a player as a spectator unless you've entered the game once. When you suicide, you should disable Flare Green (press P or first Special Attack and then P to open pause menu, then set the Flare Green control to "None" by setting it to a control you're using like W and then resetting W) so as to avoid accidental spawning. Only after you've entered and suicided can you use Flare Red to spectate individual players without spawning in. Being able to spectate individual players is not an option when you first enter a room - only after spawning and suiciding. I think at least the room host should do that because then they can watch individual player behavior, which is (1) more interesting than just sitting there and (2) a good way to check for modding.

Additionally, it might be good to have players spawn in once and select a character and suicide. This is so that they don't have to click through the drop-down menu to select a character. Since players can't see the chat, they can't know what the tournament admin is saying, so they should suicide to see what is being said after picking a character.

boofed wrote:11.) In the event that a player needs to be kicked from a server, the tournament administrator hosting the server will issue a kick vote against that player. Vote kicking may only be initiated by the tournament administrator hosting the server. As soon as a vote kick has been initiated, the tournament administrator will type "Vote Kick [player name] [time stamp]" in the game chat. For example, "Vote Kick boofed 5:44 PM."
12.) Contestors currently in a server in which a vote kick has been issued by the tournament administrator are expected to vote for the issued kick as soon as they received the confirmation message from the server host. If the designated player is not kicked out of the server within one (1) minute of the first-issued vote kick time stamp, not only will the player in question be disqualified from the event, so will all other players in the server. If the minute has elapsed without a successful kick, the tournament administrator will leave the server and all players in the server will be disqualified.
13.) If a player re-enters the server after being kicked, the event will be postponed and a new server with one less player slot will be made as soon as possible. It will have the same name and password as the previous server. Should the kicked player find and enter the new server, s/he will be kicked until the correct players are in the server and the event will resume from the beginning.

I recommend that the tournament spectator use the RC mod, with which (as masterclient) they can just ban (like will instanta-kick if they try to reeenter) players without a kick-vote. RC mod also lets you implement "antieren" where if you transform into Titan Eren you get automatically kicked. Also, the RC mod doesn't limit the number of players in a room, the length of the server name, or the time (so you can enter like 9999999).

If you don't know where to get the RC mod, PM me and I'll send you the link, as I'm not sure there's a discussion of where to get it yet since it's discourteous to Feng and his profits.

boofed wrote:The Wolf guild considers "cheating" to be the use of any client outside of the one found at fenglee.com/game/aog or using a modified version of the web client.

Does cheating include the recently OK'ed RC mod, FPS mod, Reel Rebind mod, and/or Guild Name customization (but not player name)? (topic) Even if RC isn't OK because of the air reload or something, what about the others?

boofed wrote:11.) When the event has been cleared, the tournament administrator will type in the chat, "EVENT CLEARED. [clear time]. YOU MAY NOW EXIT THE SERVER." You may now leave the server and check back on this forum thread later for the posted results.

So tournament administrators have to be attentive at all times, as I understand it - but I know everyone's human and I'd like a back-up plan to make sure we get the right scores for everybody. Can players screenshot the first message ("YOU MAY ENTER THE GAME") and the win message ("Humanity wins! Game will restart in 5") so the score may be calculated from the difference in times in case the tournament administrator isn't looking or afk or something?

Are you going to list guilds as they sign up?

boofed wrote:Email:
Skype (if applicable):
Emergency contact Skype:

Since the registration form is sent from a guild leader's email, are you looking for the other guild leaders' emails? I don't understand what an Emergency Contact Skype is?

boofed wrote:7.) You must not move until the tournament administrator starts the event. If you start moving early and the tournament administrator catches you, a ten (10) second time penalty will be imposed on you, and will be announced in the chat as, "FALSE START. PLAYER [player name]. 10 SECOND TIME PENALTY. ALL PLAYERS RESET." If this happens, all players are expected to press T (by default) to suicide their characters. The server will then reset and the tournament administrator will begin again from "YOU MAY ENTER THE GAME."
boofed wrote:9.) The tournament administrator will now initiate the countdown starting from 5, with each step entered in a new message:
"5"
"4"
"3"
"2"
"1"
10.) When the tournament administrator says "GO," the clock has started and the event has begun.

I suggest you have the tournament adminstrator just tell everyone to start at some time specified in the upper right by the timer. Like, "Begin at 1840". They can still do the countdown, but that way it's very clear what time the event started, and the tournament admin can watch people without typing into the chat. I'm not sure if you need the penalty for moving early if you just specify the time players are to start playing - you can tell if someone enters the game early by looking at the upper left and seeing if they change from "dead" to in-play too early. Entering early and waiting for someone to say go can be very bad if there's a crawler/jumper in the first wave, since it can eat you if you're just standing there.

Also, I think you should add a rule to Akina stating players must run the track. There's a way to leave the track and complete it in under a minute, which would be like cheating.

XD I'm so excited for this! I hope my comments and suggestions help you. Also, please answer the questions I have in orange above!!!

Thank you so much for setting this up!!
Last edited by Sarruby on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarruby

Postby Innti » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:06 am

Sarruby. Holy. shit. so much frickin read
Innti

Postby Sarruby » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 am

;~; Msoooooorry

But I read through the rules and then had questions and suggestions... >.<

I color-coded it and summarized at the top though... so it's not that bad... right? :D
Sarruby

Postby Enna » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:38 pm

wai no lava? D:

Spoiler:
*since when do we need 35 characters, cheesus holy crust*
Enna

Postby boofed » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:20 pm

Sarruby, as always, thank you so much for the thoughtful post. I'll be going through and making edits to the main post as soon as I can. I already added some descriptions for the events, and I'll be further tweaking the post. It's really tough to get so many thoughts out in a sensible, organized manner, so I appreciate your thorough post. Seriously, you have no idea how much this is going to help me. Thank you :)

To answer some of your questions:
Are there any special penalties for getting the "Humanity fails" screen (especially in Colossal Titan/Annie)?

There are no special penalties other than losing a bunch of time waiting to respawn. Events that do not permit respawning DO have penalties (Event Rule 6).

Will all not-Feng-forum-based guilds have to make a post or have someone make a post on their behalf saying who their guild leader(s) is? Can designated liaisons sign their guild up instead, in case their guild leader is busy?

Only guild leaders can sign up their guilds. Registration forms submitted by anyone who is not a guild leader will not be accepted. Unfortunately, there is no concrete way to verify that someone is who they say they are other than finding posts they have previously made on these forums. If they have a post as a guild leader on the forums, then they are unquestionably who they say they are.

in each server only one guild will appear, right?

That's right.

Does cheating include the recently OK'ed RC mod, FPS mod, Reel Rebind mod, and/or Guild Name customization (but not player name)?

YES. Cheating includes using any client outside of the webclient provided at fenglee.com/game/aog. OK'd mods are NOT allowed for this tournament and will NOT be used by tournament administrators either. I have added an exception to this rule for the Reel-Rebind Mod, since some players may rely on that tool to play the game normally.

Can players screenshot the first message ("YOU MAY ENTER THE GAME") and the win message ("Humanity wins! Game will restart in 5") so the score may be calculated from the difference in times in case the tournament administrator isn't looking or afk or something?

You may screenshot the end-screen for personal records if you wish. Screenshots will not be accepted and will not be put into consideration when event winners are announced. Tournament administrators are expected to be attentive at all times during an event. If you wish to appeal your time, you can send an email in with a screenshot and your time will be reviewed.

Are you going to list guilds as they sign up?

Yes.

Since the registration form is sent from a guild leader's email, are you looking for the other guild leaders' emails? I don't understand what an Emergency Contact Skype is?

I removed the Emergency Contact Skype requirement. It was there in case a guild leader could not be reached or if a serious infraction or dispute occurred. I no longer think this is really necessary to have. Also, I changed the emailing to forum PMing instead. The email address should still be used for other things.

wai no lava? D:

I might consider including a lava event later down the line, but maybe not for this year's tournament. We'll see how things go in terms of interest and number of tournament administrators.

There are a grand total of 26 slots, not including substitutes. You can also sign up for multiple events. So, really, you only need 5 people for the entire tournament.

Also, I don't want to use [Iist] because I like how the quote box looks.
boofed

Postby Sarruby » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 am

Wow boofed - thanks so much for answering all my questions! I have a couple more questions, but I sent them in PMs because they're not relevant to others users here. I'm going reread the rules at some point and let you know what I think (if that's all right - I'm trying to be helpful cause I want this to happen!!).

I'm so excited for this and I look forward to the event!
Sarruby

Postby Enna » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:45 am

How about you add lava to the potential tourney events and just see how many teams would be up for it? (Sorry for pestering you about it so much but I really don't see a reason why it shouldn't be included)

Also, would there be any chance for a head2head challenge? Imo, it's the most exciting thing there could be on a tournament so why not?

And this:

There are a grand total of 26 slots, not including substitutes. You can also sign up for multiple events. So, really, you only need 5 people for the entire tournament.

I was referring to this xD
Spoiler:
Enna

Postby RamenRyu » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:49 am

Will this be commentated? A team of 2 people would be great!
RamenRyu

Postby Sarruby » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:36 am

Um so I have 3 suggestions that are logistical in nature. I think you should consider my suggestions because they can simplify the tournament administrator's job and protect matches from harmful modders.

boofed wrote:General Procedures
4.) Enter the server when it appears, but do NOT "press 1 to enter the game." If you do press the 1 key out of force of habit upon entering the server, select a character, enter the game, and then quickly press the T button to return to the spawn screen.
Colossal Titan II/ Annie II
3.) When it's time to start, select your character, spawn in to the game, and you may begin playing immediately. Due to the nature of these maps, you must start playing as soon as you spawn or else the special titans will kill you, unlike in other game modes.
4.) A false start is when a player in the server begins the event before the tournament administrator allows it. This will result in a ten (10) second penalty for the team in question for that event and the server will restart.

Again, I think that everyone should press 1 to enter the game and then suicide so they can pick characters or be allowed to spectate as the tournament administrator. Players can more quickly enter and don't run the risk of picking the wrong character if they suicide once before entering to play the actual event. The administrator can disable flare green to avoid accidental spawning afterwards. The administrator cannot spectate individual players without spawning/suiciding once, too, meaning that they will be unable to follow individual players (which might be important to check for mods and much more interesting than the free-floating spectator view, encouraging attentiveness).

Also, while unlikely and rare, crawlers and jumpers can spawn in the first wave even in normal, making it unsafe to stand in the branch after spawning. It may also be tricky for the tournament administrator to see all players at once to make sure they don't start early. I think the tournament administrator should specify a time to spawn in to start the round, like "You event starts when the timer is at or below 1800". That also makes it clear when the timer for that team started, and countdowns are no longer needed. The tournament administrator can look for early starts by checking the usernames for not-dead-ness.

boofed wrote:The Forest III
2.) You will be given thirty (30) minutes to reach and clear wave 20. If your team dies before then, you may continue playing until you have cleared the event. The server will be given more than thirty minutes time to permit late players. The tournament administrator will keep track of how much time is left after starting the event using a stopwatch.

Just to clarify - the underlined bit means the server can go up to 35 minutes, right? Since later-than-5-minutes is disallowed.

boofed wrote:5.) You are not permitted to play as a titan in any tournament event. If you spawn in as a titan, you will be kicked from the server and disqualified from the event. A substitute will not be permitted to take your place for the event in question.
11.) In the event that a player needs to be kicked from a server, the tournament administrator hosting the server will issue a kick vote against that player. Vote kicking may only be initiated by the tournament administrator hosting the server. As soon as a vote kick has been initiated, the tournament administrator will type "Vote Kick [player name] [time stamp]" in the game chat. For example, "Vote Kick boofed 5:44 PM."
12.) Contestors currently in a server in which a vote kick has been issued by the tournament administrator are expected to vote for the issued kick as soon as they received the confirmation message from the server host. If the designated player is not kicked out of the server within one (1) minute of the first-issued vote kick time stamp, not only will the player in question be disqualified from the event, so will all other players in the server. If the minute has elapsed without a successful kick, the tournament administrator will leave the server and all players in the server will be disqualified.
13.) If a player re-enters the server after being kicked, the event will be postponed and a new server with one less player slot will be made as soon as possible. It will have the same name and password as the previous server. Should the kicked player find and enter the new server, s/he will be kicked until the correct players are in the server and the event will resume from the beginning.
14.) Titan Eren is not permitted due to how efficiently it can kill large numbers of titans. If Titan Eren is used, accidentally or not, the tournament administrator will attempt to reset the server by having all players suicide and re-enter once the server resets. For each time Titan Eren is used, 1 of the 3 attempt failures permitted will be tallied (See Event Rule 6). The offending player will be warned not to use it again, and then disqualified from the event on the second offense. If the same player uses Titan Eren for the third time in another event, s/he will be disqualified from the tournament.

I don't want to be pushy or rude, but the tournament administrator needs to run the RC mod. They can (1) turn on Antieren, which will auto-kick anyone who tries to transform into Titan Eren and thereby simplify the rules a bit, and (2) if there's an issue with kicking (such as a colored username or one containing non-typable characters) you will need the RC mod to ban them - you can't type the Terrorist's skull or the colors for the Violent Citizen. I understand not having the game players use the RC mod because of the air-reload, but it might be vital if there's a problem. I hope that trolls and cheaters won't be a problem, but remember: you're posting the server name and password on a public forum. You might need the RC mod to avoid trolls. Furthermore, if the server bugs out and titans fail to spawn, the masterclient can restart the server by typing /restart. I think most people who have encountered terrorists, violent citizens, and other harmful modders would agree to having the tournament admin use the RC mod because it's needed for protection. There are also mods that let people enter password-ed servers. (It should be noted that if a player's username does not a appear in the upper left, typing /kick or /ban and the next sequential number they would have been is effective.)

I understand there is a general aversion to mods because of the harmful things some mods do. Yes, the RC mod can be used to troll by blowing up people with bombs or making titans explode with unfair radii, but the /kick and /ban features of the RC mod are needed for your event to protect it. Even if you get lucky and no one tries to troll the server by breaking in through the password or just using the publicly posted password, it'd really be best just to not have that be a potential problem to begin with since the way to prevent it - using RC mod - is readily available.

I understand that your Wolf guild considers mods to be cheating, but the tournament administrator isn't a player and therefore cannot cheat. It doesn't matter if the RC mod gives them air-reload because they can't use it. The point of using the RC mod as an administrator is so that they (as masterclient) can kick or ban players as needed. Antieren is a bonus, allowing the administrator to not worry about people trying to play as Titan Eren.

Not running in the browser means no ads or browser toolbars, too, which might mean that the tournament admin can watch multiple events simultaneously with a powerful enough computer and good enough internet. That is something they should test before trying to do it for real though, in case of overheating computers or disconnects.

If you don't know where to get the RC mod, PM me and I'll send you the link. (I don't think we're allowed to post the link on the forums because using the RC mod does mean you won't see the ads.)

Other comments
XD

Absolutely love the event descriptions. Great writing!

boofed wrote:An example of an exploit is the trick where you place a hook in the ground and constantly reel and attack while holding the gas key.

:D I didn't know you could do that!! Now I want to try it, but I don't quite understand how to... ^^

boofed wrote:4.) If you are unsure of how to avoid any of the above, please refrain from using the in-game chat system or AoTTG forums to speak to other players (or anyone in general, really).

"anyone in general" << Lol. XD

boofed wrote:Also, I don't want to use [Iist] because I like how the quote box looks.

Ok! That's totally up to you. Just wanted to let you know [list] can be used for indenting as well. :-)

Enna wrote:How about you add lava to the potential tourney events and just see how many teams would be up for it? (Sorry for pestering you about it so much but I really don't see a reason why it shouldn't be included)

Also, would there be any chance for a head2head challenge? Imo, it's the most exciting thing there could be on a tournament so why not?

Er this is completely up to boofed, but I think boofed is already taking on a huge task with 6 events. I really like your suggestions, but I think it'd be great if the tournament actually happened (which I believe it will) and we experienced what it's like before we suggest non-logistical changes or new events.

RamenRyu wrote:Will this be commentated? A team of 2 people would be great!

I don't know if anyone would be interesting in broadcasting this to like twitch.tv or something, but since there's a specific time and date it's definitely possible. Like the tournament administrator, the commentator(s) can just enter the room and stay dead. I would totally watch to cheer on my guildmates in events I'm not in if it's broadcasted.
Sarruby

Next

Return to Tournaments