ASO - AoTTG Summer Olympics, July 2015

All tournament-related things go here. ☆-(ノ゚Д゚)八(゚Д゚ )ノ
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: ASO - AoTTG Summer Olympics, July 2015

Postby ChaosPetra » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:19 am

Well no one even understands xD but wayne, and we never said it is abusive, we said people abuse it, there is a difference between that, also we never said it is illegal, we were aware of that you are allowed to use it, you should read carefully and not invent stuff, well idc what people think about us we did our stuff, told our opinion and thats it, but before saying anything that isn't true, read the post again xD because some seems to have problems to understand it and we dont even care about winning or losing tbh but well make of your mind whatever you want FinalArt stays how it is, we don't care what some think about us but remember there are more than enough who are thinking the same way like we do about some stuff from ASO

And trueblue, we aren't angry neither mad or anything like that in any way xD cause everone has their opinion we showed it, we told it to abe and the so called "pro" - guilds/players who think sometimes they are sth better cause they are on yt or in a 'fame' guild, just know it has to do sth with the organisation stuff during the tournament and we just did what a lot of people with the same opinion would never do cause they've fear to do it like telling people their opinion

-CP
ChaosPetra

Postby ASO_Tournament » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:03 am

For the sake of lowering the salt concentration, I'm going to try to make this post as serous and to the point as possible.

ChaosPetra wrote:Final Salt ASO statement (Organization, Reelrebinder, Saltiness, Recap, etc.)
When we were up against Legacy in the semi-finals there was a problem with our host so we had to look for another one and the Legacy players said their game lagged so the host changed once again, but now from EU to US and that was, of course in favor of, Legacy... the way the host was just changed and we weren't even asked if that was okay only showed us that "someone" was preferred. And I really cannot say who would've won if we hadn't had to play with a ping of 200 m/s. That match just wasn't fair and there was no solution to that but the way it turned out to be, just felt really disrespected for us and that was probably the spark that ignited the shitstorm.

Originally, the ASO administration's original goal was to have 15~ competent hosts with a internet connection that was at least somewhat decent. We were eventually able to recruit these hosts. To make sure they all knew what they were doing and didn't screw up any of the matches, we held hosting seminars and wrote manuals for each of the hosts. We made attending one of these seminars and reading the manual mandatory in order to host for ASO. Of the 15 we originally gathered, 5 showed up and actually attended the seminar. Because of this, we had to gather an extra surplus of hosts with lower quality internet connections to make up for the shortage. Many of them did not attend the seminars either. After all was said and done we had about 7 hosts available to host games for 60 guilds. Most of these hosts were from the US.

This made hosting for EU guilds difficult. A lot of times we had US hosts doing nothing because we would burn through all of the NA matches very quickly. Sometimes we were forced to have US guilds host for European guilds either because that hoster had a very good internet connection or we were very behind schedule. We even had to have a US host put up a game for KOR in the Damage Duels, who had a European team. KOR stressed to us that it would be impossible for them to play in a game hosted in the US. They explained to us that the only way to have a match involving a EU team hosted by a US hoster be fair is to have the US hoster host on the EU photon server. This way there is still lag, but it is more balanced between both the US and the EU team. This became our policy for every match that had teams in both US and EU. If the hoster was putting up a server for guilds in 2 different regions, they would host the match on whichever Photon server was not in their region. I'm assuming that this was the case for your match against Legacy, in which case they probably also experienced lag from having to play on Feng's EU photon server. If not, I apologize on behalf of the ASO team.

ChaosPetra wrote:And now to the Reel-Rebind...

I personally know nothing about reel rebind and have nothing to say on the matter that likely hasn't been said already.

ChaosPetra wrote:"We apologize to the organizers of ASO and other players we might have upset with our childish behavior. We disrespected the Community and embarrassed ourselves as a guild in front of you. I hope you can understand still our concerns with that problem though and let us participate in the next tournaments."

We know this past week has been stressful for everyone. Each tourney day has been going on for 9 hours on average. It's understandable that after all the difficulties your guild has had with the tournament that your players would be upset. As such, we're willing o believe your actions did not reflect the true nature of your guild. We accept your apology and in turn apologize for not being able to give you the best experience possible during the tournament.

Regardless, thank you for coming!
ASO_Tournament

Postby boofed » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:35 am

While there has been an official response to this post, I would like to add my own personal thoughts as well.

ChaosPetra wrote:Final Salt ASO statement (Organization, Reelrebinder, Saltiness, Recap, etc.)

Okay I think we, as a whole guild, have to explain our motives and why we were upset about this whole tournament and I guess that everyone knows already what one of our problem was/is and that is the Reel-Rebind, but despite that we think that the ASO tournament was a neat idea, and we respect the players and modders that were in charge of the organization doing all the work and preparation in the last weeks .

Hi, thanks for your input on how the tournament was structured and organized. I would like to address some misunderstandings that you have about the way we ran things.

It's safe to say that we weren't that popular to begin with, but we don't really believe that the whole streaming and even the whole design of the events weren't neutral to begin with. I know that the majority of the casters were JB's and rooting for their team, but the way the others were only barely mentioned, was a bit biased.

While I did not get a lot of free time to watch the stream, I did notice that sometimes the stream would switch over to more skilled guilds (based on preexisting data) at times even when other less-skilled guilds (based off of either preexisting data or lack of data) were competing. It is the stream's job to produce the best entertainment possible and the sad truth is that people enjoy watching highly skilled guilds more than they enjoy watching lesser-skilled guilds. This has almost no effect whatsoever on the tournament, however, and really shouldn't be a concern. If you're good at the game, you can expect more people to want to watch you play. As for the commentating, that really isn't my department. Really, none of the streaming/entertainment is my department, but whatever.

the way the "more popular" guilds got preferential bracket positioning wasn't really something we approved of.

You should read up on how tournament brackets work if you want an explanation of the seeding process. tl;dr we seed because we don't have exactly 32, 64, or 128 players. Who do we seed? The same kind of people every professional sport does. If you don't think it's fair, then I'm sure the rest of society would love to hear your proposal for a better system.

When we were up against Legacy in the semi-finals there was a problem with our host so we had to look for another one and the Legacy players said their game lagged so the host changed once again, but now from EU to US and that was, of course in favor of, Legacy.

I would like for you to please defer to the MOTD present in (hopefully) every single server ever hosted in ASO:
Welcome to ASO. Remember to have fun.
To contest times or resolve other issues, get in contact with an administrator by sending a private message to one of the following Skype contacts:
- omegaripper501
- mattd998
- boofed1

We would have appreciated it if you had gotten in contact with us. You most certainly had this in your game chat at some point, considering you went through three different hosts.

And now to the Reel-Rebind... What was once a neat little program, to help players who didn't want to reel with scrolling or simply with broken mousewheels, is abused for a certain technique and it is now a part of the biggest mod in the game, which allowed a whole new play style. My personal problem with that is that it still is not part of the actual game and you cannot do anything comparable to that in the game.

Well, none of the events in ASO could have been even remotely possible without added features/functionality thanks to RC (BIG THANKS TO RC!!!). You knew this going into the tournament, so you really have no room to complain. Also, you can achieve the same exact results with a mouse that has an unlocked scroll wheel - like the mouse that I have! I have and will never use reel rebind so long as I have a mouse that does it for me. One could even argue that reel rebind levels the playing field against users with unlocked scroll wheels.

"We apologize to the organizers of ASO and other players we might have upset with our childish behavior. We disrespected the Community and embarrassed ourselves as a guild in front of you. I hope you can understand still our concerns with that problem though and let us participate in the next tournaments."

The ASO administration team appreciates your apology. Personally, I urge you and your guild to make amends to the community through action, not just a short apology. Start drafting your own events - make a tournament - design an anime night or something - give us a reason to gather with you. As for any upcoming tournaments, I don't think anyone should stop you from participating, but they should keep a watchful eye. I am sure you understand such concerns after the developments in ASO.

I hope to see you and your guild around the community more often, whether it be participating in tournaments or organizing your own community events.

- Boofed
boofed

Postby Suraru » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:43 am

ASO_Tournament wrote:We know this past week has been stressful for everyone. Each tourney day has been going on for 9 hours on average.

And here I thought it was closer to 12, lol.

No, but this tourny was fun as hell. You guys caught me at the best possible time to dedicate my life to a chinese browser game for a week because I'm in between jobs and don't start til monday. And it was completely random too, I just saw a random "So, Er, Is there any chance you know anything about streaming?" from someone I hadn't talked to in a while because I've left the community for the 2nd time to work on real life. Luckily that answer was yes, and luckily it landed on a week I was 100% free. Yeah waking up every morning at 9am (I work night shift, that's usually when I go to bed) sucked, so did sitting in a chair for 9-12 hours with few chances to get a drink, meal, or restroom break, but I wasn't the only one in that same situation, and even though I'm so fatigued I started calling the guild I founded 2 years ago the wrong name... It was a lot of fun, and I'm actually really sad that it's over.

Communication was great, and it prevented any disasters, but it could have been better in a few of places. However, a lot of people were picking up responsibilities last minute, and a lot of the event was improv during technical difficulties, which for the first few days was the home screen of the event. Still, we bounced back even after my GPU failed, key staff and contenders disappeared, and we probably would've even if there were medical emergencies (which I'm happy, but surprised didn't happen considering how much work everyone put into this). I'm stoked things worked out, I'm relieved nothing major happened, I'm feeling awesome to be back in the community (even if only for a week), and I'm glad (but also sad) that it's finally over. I'll be looking back at all the OBS settings and the 3gb folder on my desktop wistfully, and maybe in a year I'll see the Skype chat I will never leave blip back up.

Thanks to all the viewers, contenders, and staff. You've made an experience I will never forget.

-Suraru, last minute main streamer.
Do I even English sometimes?
"Points hurt, stay pointless!"

OH SHIT MAN! IT'S THE ADMIN!
Suraru
Forum Major

Formerly: Smitty

Postby trueblue1321 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:43 pm

The point is there's nothing wrong in abusing reel rebind lol
if you won't use it to get high damage in a tournament where everyone else is, then idk man
trueblue1321

Postby ChaosPetra » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:39 am

trueblue1321 wrote:The point is there's nothing wrong in abusing reel rebind lol
if you won't use it to get high damage in a tournament where everyone else is, then idk man

Let's say we don't need it to get high damage and I guess you still didn't understand it correctly, like people used it in racing or even pvp lol cause they are too much used to it and they would probably just so bad without it cause of their lack of true skills without it. That's more a reason why we say people are 'abusing' it like you don't need much skill to get a good time at racing for example if you use rebinder, cause its so easy to get fast past every corner with reel rebinders outreel. Then where is the fun or/and the skill in getting better
ChaosPetra

Postby Sylvy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:58 pm

Honestly, there's way too much to read. I didn't have time to tune in for the live stream.... Can someone please link me to the results of the tourney/twitch/youtube.... etc? Thanks! <3

jk, saw all the links in the vid. whoever made it is sexy. <3
Sylvy

Previous

Return to Tournaments