Multiplayer Team Organization

All guild-related things go here. \(★´−`)人(´▽`★)/
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Multiplayer Team Organization

Postby d_OVRKLL » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:04 pm

I really don't know where this would go. If a mod feels like this belongs else where, please do as you see fit. My justification for posting this here is it would make sense for a discussion about how to organize a team to go where people discuss their teams.

Anyway, this is a post that I wrote in "Formations and Tactics" thread but I feel like as that thread expands, it would be a bit much to discuss attack approaches along with team construction all in one place.

I'm curious as to how do you guys go about playing with your squad when you play multiplayer. I ask because whenever I watch videos, I feel like a lot of the problems people face come from them not actually organizing their players. I personally have not played online yet, but here is a format I think some people may (or may not) find useful:

Player Roles
Making sure each individual player has a particular role in their squad that can be a general representation of their strengths as a player. Each player will have a primary and secondary role(s) based on what they're good at.

Commander/Tactician: The player that can be trusted to make the best decisions over all. They fill everyone in on the plan in the beginning and if they have a plan that randomly comes up mid-game, you can trust that it is a good idea.

Scout: Player(s) that maintains the highest ground. The "eyes" for the team. Always has a general understanding of where titans are on the map to prevent surprises. Most importantly, they will be the ones to identify/mark safe places to be. They do not HAVE to, and should not, condemn themselves to just watching. They just have to make sure they remember their job.

Front Line: Player(s) that can be trusted on their own; "1 shot killers" (players that have mastered the ability to kill titans near immediately upon interaction). Their survival should be partial priority for the team.

Clean Up: Player(s) that can be trusted when there is little pressure (no swarms of titans/abnormals/crawlers). If the team decides to leave an area with 1 or 2 titans, these players finish the job.

Damage Control: Player(s) that perform well under pressure. Typically utilized when something goes wrong (team member(s) in danger; someone died).

Diversion: Players with exceptional movement that may or may not be trusted to KILL titans but can be trusted to AVOID being killed. Also probably the most brave next to the Front Line. Typically their job will be to get titan's attention to allow other players to kill OR escape/regroup.

Character selection with purpose
Selecting characters based on what their strengths are in conjunction with the player's strengths. Listed are possible/theoretical roles that suit each character based on player roles.
Note: "Commander/Tactician" can be any character as the traits don't really have too much to do with who they play

Levi/Mikasa
Primary Role(s): Front line
Secondary Role(s): Clean Up; Damage Control

Petra
Primary Role(s): Clean Up; Damage Control
Secondary Role(s): Front Line
Note: Petra players should not be too far off from whoever is leading the assault. She should be able to effectively assist the front line and BE the front line if need be.

Eren
Primary Role(s): Clean Up; Damage Control
Secondary Role(s): Front Line
Note: Titan form strictly for emergencies (swarms of titans; crawlers). He is literally never to go titan just for the sake of his own kills.

Jean
Primary Role(s): Scout
Secondary Role(s): Clean Up; Damage Control; Diversion
Note: His ability to conserve gas means he can go from place to place across maps without losing gas too much concern. When flares start going off to signal help needed, he is to go over there to provide support. Jean players should typically excel in maneuverability to fulfill their role. Jean players' secondary will probably depend on how effective they are at killing (Clean Up/Damage Control) and/or how good they are at maneuvering (Diversion).

Armin
Primary Role(s): Scout
Secondary Role(s): Diversion; Clean Up
Note: Armin players are probably going to be highly capable of handling 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 situations against titans

Marco
Primary Role(s): Diversion
Secondary Role(s): Clean Up; Damage Control
Note: Their secondary will depend on whether or not their killing skills are exceptional

Sasha
Primary Role(s): Diversion; Scout
Secondary Role(s): Damage Control
Note: Her special makes her SUPER viable for both diverting and scouting as she can go from place to place across the map easily. This player will probably most likely be a Damage Control kind of player because her special can allow her to get abnormals'/crawlers' attention, out run them AND get away from them successfully. The fact that it is has a time limit means Sasha player's maneuvering has to be on point to escape crawlers before they can kill her.

Needless to say, you may/will not ALWAYS have 5+ people on a team. However, you can see above that roles can be shared and swapped.

Team Construction By Player Count
2 Man Team: Obviously gonna be pretty weak. This kind of team dynamic can be something like both players taking turns being Scouts as they move around. Both of them gotta make sure they can move really well.

3 Man Team: A little better. All 3 players can take turns scouting and/or diverting if they feel like it suits their team dynamic. Possibly a Scout that over looks and backs up the 2 Front Line players and goes in when they look like they're about to be in danger.

4 Man Team: Probably the most ideal/Realistic. 1 player assigned to be the Scout. They make sure their team isn't about to be randomly ambushed and stuff like that. 1 player can lead the assault while 2 players stick together. The Scout can always make the call to go in and help out whoever needs assistance.

5 Man Team:
Most flexible (not sure what the max amount of players on a map are so i'll assume it's 5). Here's an example of the possibilities
-1 Scout, 2 Front Line ("lone wolves"), 2 Player Duo
-1 Scout, 2 pairs (duos of players that stick by their partner)
-2 Scout rotation (rotating assistance in extensive assaults); 1 Front Line, 2 Flexible Support (diversions/damage control/clean up)
You can kind of see what I mean. Varying roles based on what the players are good at or what is needed

This part has very little to do with the team construction but I'll just leave it
Flares
I also feel like flares are severely under utilized with bigger groups and people randomly put them out there to show where they are.

1 Green: General marking of a safe location. If players see a green flare, they can trust that going over there is safe.
1 Red: "Danger". Should mark somewhere that is dangerous.
1 Black: Abnormal sighted. To be used by those in combat for the Scout to see

Theoretical Flare Codes
1 Black 1 Green (SCOUT): This means they notice a crawler on the map, but it isn't approaching anyone
1 Black 1 Red (SCOUT): Crawler OR regular Abnormal sighted and IT IS APPROACHING teammates
1 Green 1 Red (PLAYERS IN COMBAT): "Come here, assistance needed". Probably to be used by the Front Line to ask for help from the Support and the other way around.
2 Black (PLAYERS IN COMBAT): If a team (2 or more people) are at a location swormed with Abnornals and needs assistance

Note: There should be a designated Scout location. Meaning whenever you see a flare from that position YOU KNOW it is the Scout. More than likely makes the most sense to be the middle of the map or the highest grounds should default to the Scout's "territory". These are all just some ideas
d_OVRKLL

Re: Multiplayer Team Organization

Postby Accelevi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:26 am

This seems really good.
This could go in tutorials/general discussion, but here works too.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby d_OVRKLL » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:19 am

Accelevi wrote:This seems really good.
This could go in tutorials/general discussion, but here works too.

I got approval from the man himself? I definitely did something right :D
d_OVRKLL

Postby Xedma » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:33 am

Yeah this sounds awesome, but I see this working better for some kinda story mode than in a map like Forest (where I usually play). Should we get a campaign or mission other than simply "clear the area" like, say, the Battle of Trost, I see this working wonders!
Xedma

Postby TataBlitz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:42 am

it probably CAN still work if you have enough players committed to give it a shot, but most people tend to do their own things in the current MP maps XD
TataBlitz

Postby Fuginotory » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:09 am

I've had this scouting idea for a while now, I've even used it with my friends and it has had great success so far. It's basically a simple and less annoying way to find the last one or two titans that get lost.

Short Range Scouting Formation
This formation works with any size team, but it works best if you have at least 3. Basically, since toward the end of the game most people would be low on gas, and if there is no refill station that could turn out to be a problem, and this is my solution. The formation is simple, one person stands on the central building while the others go to the opposite sides of the map and proceed to scout using the building tops, and running (they use 3DMG only when they need to get from one roof to the other). As the scouts move they constantly send out green flares to inform the others of their position, the central figure uses the vantage point to try and keep the formation stable (The scouts must try to stay opposite to each other's position, that way they don't both go trough the same path, more scouts means that the central figure would need to make sure they don't get too close to one another, or their effectiveness will be diminished). When one of the scouts sights a titan, they signal with a red flare and everyone can converge on point (if the titan is a type of abnormal, a black flare should follow a second or two after the red one, and they shouldn't be fired one into the other), so even if one gets killed, the others can still get that titan. It takes about 2-3 minutes to scout the entire city this way since each scout has only a portion of the map to run trough, and generally the larger your team is, the faster this thing works. For a 2 man team the there is no central figure, meaning the scouts have to try to keep themselves organized.

It's not needed in forest, as there the titans are easy to find.

I made this up to use with my friends, but now that this thread is here so I thought I'd share it. It's not much, but it works better and faster then everyone just looking wherever they think it might be.
Fuginotory

Postby d_OVRKLL » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:41 am

Xedma wrote:Yeah this sounds awesome, but I see this working better for some kinda story mode than in a map like Forest (where I usually play). Should we get a campaign or mission other than simply "clear the area" like, say, the Battle of Trost, I see this working wonders!

Thanks for the feed back! And yeah I can DEFINITELY see this being super effective with missions that are more involved. Even if the Colossal Titan battle had a little more going on this would be super effective. At least I would think so.

TataBlitz wrote:it probably CAN still work if you have enough players committed to give it a shot, but most people tend to do their own things in the current MP maps XD

And that's exactly why people start having problems. Lack of communication and organization. This kind of system is something I came up with while watching people playing MP with the waves. As waves start getting crazier, they fall apart. The sad thing is some people don't realize they have skills that can be utilized effectively if they're organized.

Fuginotory wrote:I've had this scouting idea for a while now, I've even used it with my friends and it has had great success so far. It's basically a simple and less annoying way to find the last one or two titans that get lost.

This formation works with any size team, but it works best if you have at least 3. Basically, since toward the end of the game most people would be low on gas, and if there is no refill station that could turn out to be a problem, and this is my solution. The formation is simple, one person stands on the central building while the others go to the opposite sides of the map and proceed to scout using the building tops, and running (they use 3DMG only when they need to get from one roof to the other). As the scouts move they constantly send out green flares to inform the others of their position, the central figure uses the vantage point to try and keep the formation stable (The scouts must try to stay opposite to each other's position, that way they don't both go trough the same path, more scouts means that the central figure would need to make sure they don't get too close to one another, or their effectiveness will be diminished). When one of the scouts sights a titan, they signal with a red flare and everyone can converge on point (if the titan is a type of abnormal, a black flare should follow a second or two after the red one, and they shouldn't be fired one into the other), so even if one gets killed, the others can still get that titan. It takes about 2-3 minutes to scout the entire city this way since each scout has only a portion of the map to run trough, and generally the larger your team is, the faster this thing works. For a 2 man team the there is no central figure, meaning the scouts have to try to keep themselves organized.

I made this up to use with my friends, but now that this thread is here so I thought I'd share it. It's not much, but it works better and faster then everyone just looking wherever they think it might be.

That...is genius. You should go post it in that other thread in the General Discussion section! They added a map for the city. You can put that whole thought process into a diagram.
d_OVRKLL

Postby Crim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:49 am

Sasha should be front line.
I was just on a stream where we beat Forest 2 on hard on all Sashas, with four people.
and i didn't even get the chance to die
Crim

Postby Z.E.D » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:03 am

I love this overill! :D the problem is that a lot of people in the servers don't know how to organize themselves. THere's alway the last survivor who decides to go leeeroooy Jeeeeenkins because he has levi and screws up the whole team .

SO damage control is the " protector role right"? Levi is excellent for that because of his speed , you can save so many people !

You should impelement a Titan eren strategy for the CT map. people want to do like in the anime and end up wasting their coooldown for nothing.
Z.E.D

Postby Fuginotory » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:56 pm

d_OVRKLL wrote:
Fuginotory wrote:I've had this scouting idea for a while now, I've even used it with my friends and it has had great success so far. It's basically a simple and less annoying way to find the last one or two titans that get lost.

That...is genius. You should go post it in that other thread in the General Discussion section! They added a map for the city. You can put that whole thought process into a diagram.

Yeah, I just saw that, and I'm working on a diagram at the moment. I'll post it as soon as it's ready.

Edit: The diagram is ready. Every colour marked with an S means scout, every colour marked with C means commander.

Short Range Scouting Formation Diagram

It looks a bit complex, but you can clearly see each path. Each path is made so the scouts can return to their original positions, after covering their area. The diagram shows how to execute the formation with 5 people, and I will brake it down for you now.

As the formation initiates, the commander scouts out the central part where the red arrows are, then proceeds to the central building, in the mean time the scouts get into position and wait for a green flare from the commander, then they proceed on their designated path.

The Commander: He makes sure the scouts keep up an even pace, otherwise they will end up together, and the formation will be broken.

The Central Scouts: After covering their area they return to their starting point, and repeat (only if needed). Follow the arrows, and you will see the path they should follow. Usually the central scouts can cover their path twice as fast as the Wall scouts, so they also cover the purple and yellow circles (orange scouts the purple circle, blue scouts the yellow circle) before they return to their starting points (only when executing this formation with 5 people).

The Wall Scouts: After the wall scouts finish their rout, their starting positions are swapped, so purple now follows the yellow path, and yellow follows the purple.

Ideally you will have 5 people for this, but if you don't, you can still use this. Here's how:

2 People: The two people take the purple and yellow positions, and follow the paths, but instead of swapping positions when they cover their designated area, yellow proceeds to follow the blue path, and purple proceeds along the orange path, when they cover these areas, they scout the commander area, if nothing is found, they return to their original starting location and repeat at a slower pace. Since there is no commander to keep an eye on the pace, they will have to keep it controlled themselves.

3 People: Essentially the same as with two people, but there is a commander now. The commander covers his area and takes position, while the two scouts prepare at purple and yellow, when the commander fires a green flare, the scouts follow their paths, then yellow scouts the blue path, and purple covers the orange path, before they return to their original positions.

4 People: Executed in the same way as with 3 people, only this time the forth person covers the orange and blue paths.
Fuginotory

Next

Return to Guilds