Hosting bug

Place to put all your questions, place to get the answers. 【・ヘ・?】This can have both forum-related questions and game-related questions.
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Hosting bug

Postby Mwii » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:32 pm

I just got my new gaming pc and it's awsome. But when i try and play this game and host as I usally did on this pc thats older, it didn't work. People join, and after some seconds they disapeer. then I went back to this pc and just testet it and I hosted without flaw. This pc had windos xp by the way. So I don't know if someone else has experienced this or if it's just me. But either way, it doesn't look like the game is compatible with windows 8 and I REALY hope this gets fixed since if this game lives on for a year or two more everyone will have windows 8 so then it'll be a big problem if the case is that it is a bug. Also it is ofc very annoying to have to switch pc :p
Mwii

Re: Hosting bug

Postby Khally » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:45 pm

This isn't a bug report. The way I see it, it's a problem with your new computer. And it's certainly not Win8 related.

Moving to the Help Section, it's probably more helpful there, maybe someone has had the same problem :)
Khally

Postby Fuginotory » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:03 pm

It's not the game, as far as I know unity doesn't like windows 8 that much and gives it grief. Still, wouldn't hurt to check your network settings.
Fuginotory

Postby Mwii » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Well why would it work on my older computer wich runs on the same network and runs everything else? Idkn, but it should have said something if it was blocking some features.
Mwii

Postby Fuginotory » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:49 am

It doesn't always say if something is blocked, and each machine has its own settings which determine how much of the network's capabilities that machine has access to, changing the settings can limit or extend that accessibility.
I doubt you will find anything too crucial there, but like I said, it wouldn't hurt to check.

If you are using a router, there is a chance your new computer is not recognized as main (this is probably not an accurate way to put it, but I don't know any technical terms), in this case your new PC could be treated as a leach that is trying to exploit the connection, thus you get your old PC's IP, but your lan card ID is different, and your ability to use the connection is hindered. I've encountered this in the past, with a friend of mine who was using his neighbour's wi-fi to play, he could not host for this exact reason, but he could easily join and play no problem.

Short version, if your new computer does not generate it's own IP, that is your problem right there.
Fuginotory

Return to Help Section