Reel Technique - Overdrive

Place tutorials of any kind here. 〆(・∀・@)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Reel Technique - Overdrive

Postby Xedma » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:51 am

NOTICE!! You cannot overdrive anymore as described by this tutorial. The recent updates have removed the glitchy acceleration, but the inherent property of Overdrive remains. It is still possible to conserve momentum using Overdrive, but it can no longer speed up as shown in the video.

The reel has the interesting ability to spin in tight circles while conserving momentum. Attacking in combination with this can make you rapidly accelerate while remaining in a tight circle. This is known as the reel's Overdrive, and it allows you to effectively hover over a titan's before striking and achieve an larger than normal damage. If you have a hook placed correctly, this technique takes away the need to have to position yourself for a strike because reeling takes care of this for you! You can deal a massive amount of damage without ever having to let go of your wire!

The main factor towards the successful use of this technique is where the hook is placed on the titan's neck. It needs to be on the very center of the nape as shown in the picture below:
Hook Placement
The hook is in the middle of the nape, just below the hairline.

These are example videos of the Overdrive in use. Thanks to Hilo for providing a video.
Demonstration Videos

In order to activate the reel's Overdrive:

1. Place a hook on the exact center of a titan's nape.
2. Gas only in the direction you're traveling.
3. Spam attack and reel in at the same time to accelerate into an Overdrive.

This technique is a direct-hit approach. It can be used independently or in combination with formal techniques such as the Spiral Strike or Yo-Yo.This technique works against all titans and bosses, but it is not suggested for fighting the Colossal Titan. While this works on crawlers, be careful not to get eaten.

FUNFACT:
While overdrive is meant for use on titans, you can overdrive on the ground and accelerate unhindered. In fact, you can accelerate so fast that you can break through walls and barriers. That means you can Overdrive to escape maps! - FIXED
Last edited by Xedma on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 52 times in total.
Xedma

Re: A New Reel Mechanic - Overdrive

Postby FailureofHumanity » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:06 am

ToL always makes me look down on my "skills" xD
FailureofHumanity

Postby Arise7 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:12 am

This is a technique, not a new mechanic and belongs in the tutorial section or the technique thread already up. Moved.
Arise7

Postby Xedma » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:20 am

Arise7 wrote:This is a technique, not a new mechanic and belongs in the tutorial section or the technique thread already up. Moved.

Thanks for sorting that out.
Xedma

Re: A New Reel Technique - Overdrive

Postby Accelevi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Isn't this sort of like the EQ/half-sparrow? I'm not sure if they use reel though.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Xedma » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:45 pm

This is a move that can be used in combination with other techniques as long as the four rules I stated are followed. This is a damage amplifying move.
Xedma

Postby Accelevi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Aren't the four rules pretty much just the Sparrow Slash/Cut/whatever technique process?
But anyways, nice tutorial.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Xedma » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Accelevi wrote:Aren't the four rules pretty much just the Sparrow Slash/Cut/whatever technique process?
But anyways, nice tutorial.

Not at all. This involves hovering over the nape while these other techniques are a clean cut. Also, sparrow is a move that hooks under the chin. This requires a wire to be directly on the nape.

What this move does is make you spin in a rapid and tight circle over the nape before striking both amplifying and conserving momentum. Also thanks
Xedma

Postby Xyro » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:37 pm

No videos of this technique?
Xyro

Re: Reel Technique - Overdrive

Postby Hilo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:27 am

So, quick test of this before I went to bed.

First off, using the right hook and the right movement is really awkward X). Got it after using my middle finger for the hook and my index for the movement, but it'll take awhile for my hand to adjust to that X)
I was able to reproduce the technique 1/10 times. The highest hit I got was 750, though for all instances I was on the top of the nape, near or inside the hair. I started to realize the only time I actually did any damage above 100 is when my character, or for higher hits my screen, started to shake rather violently. I believe this was the "tiny circles" I needed to do. I just think I didn't have enough hook space to get higher damages. I was pretty surprised I got my 750 just shaking at the nape for a few seconds 0-0

Though for reference, I used Jean. I'm not sure if this is character specific with Levi's added acceleration and decreased size yet. Pretty interesting technique though Xedma, nice find ;)
Hilo

Next

Return to Tutorials