Reel Technique - Instant Reeling (A.K.A. Triangling)

Place tutorials of any kind here. 〆(・∀・@)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: Reel Technique - Triangular Movement

Postby Xedma » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:02 am

I have been told that this technique resembles the Instant Reeling technique in Critical Blinking's post. That is because they both follow the same mechanic to work. However, what sets this technique apart from the Instant Reel is that this is a method to circle around a titan and gaining a strong momentum in a short time and space. Just wanted to take a moment to address this.
Xedma

Re: Reel Technique - Slingshot Maneuvering (A.K.A. Trianglin

Postby Accelevi » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:48 pm

Wasn't the IR firing backwards?

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Xedma » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Accelevi wrote:Wasn't the IR firing backwards?

IR is fired to the side or behind the character. Slingshot Maneuvering is essentially IR used repeatedly to circle a titan and gain momentum.
Xedma

Postby Accelevi » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Oh okay, thanks. ^^
So for stuff like the Spring Pocket?

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby bellick » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:56 am

I caught this technique from playing with you at XAN's but I always end up messing up due to attacking way too late, having lost all speed after hitting the nape with my body instead of doing it with the blades... I know what I have to do, it's just that I suck at timing it.
I have a variant of this in which I pass way above a titan's head after gaining speed, then reel in vertical angle and slash instead of passing through the side, much like an overhead attack but with your technique added into the mix. Usually gets me around 800-900 dmg but my highest score with Petra was done this way in a fortunate turn of events in which the titan slightly turned to the side and I was able to pass by after reeling and striking. It got me 1425 dmg points.
bellick

Postby Xedma » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:11 pm

bellick wrote:I caught this technique from playing with you at XAN's but I always end up messing up due to attacking way too late, having lost all speed after hitting the nape with my body instead of doing it with the blades... I know what I have to do, it's just that I suck at timing it.
I have a variant of this in which I pass way above a titan's head after gaining speed, then reel in vertical angle and slash instead of passing through the side, much like an overhead attack but with your technique added into the mix. Usually gets me around 800-900 dmg but my highest score with Petra was done this way in a fortunate turn of events in which the titan slightly turned to the side and I was able to pass by after reeling and striking. It got me 1425 dmg points.

You fly over head, wire the forehead, and reel after you pass the titan and your wire makes a slight incline? That sounds to me a bit like a Bullet Strike. It's a good technique, but not the most reliable. Best I've done with that is 1.3k
Xedma

Postby bellick » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:42 pm

Xedma wrote:You fly over head, wire the forehead, and reel after you pass the titan and your wire makes a slight incline? That sounds to me a bit like a Bullet Strike. It's a good technique, but not the most reliable. Best I've done with that is 1.3k

There are so many names now I don't bother to keep track of them. Everything's a variant of about 6 main techniques anyways XD.
But basically yes, I think, except I reel exactly when I think I'm aligned with it vertically, causing a 90 degree change in angle. Also, you have to be ridiculously high above the titan when starting the movement, otherwise it is likely to fail to get the kill. I searched for it in the forums and I think it can be described the same way, with the minor difference that the way I do it doesn't let you slam the ground since the angle is so steep, either the titan's lower body or the nape itself stops all momentum after slashing, so you have time to rehook without landing. I've been using this since the reeling was implemented and it is very reliable, at least the way I perform it. I'd say it has a 90% rate of success not matter what the beginning speed or height so I use more than the sparrow and equator thingies when I'm playing "the floor is lava". What makes it fail is usually the aggro shift that other players closer to the target cause. I call it the speed-square strike but bullet strike sounds much more cooler.
i don't have any videos of my own since my computer cannot handle recording and playing at the same time but you can see me doing it here in the background
http://www.twitch.tv/27thsurveycorps/b/487966596
at the 4:12:50 mark
bellick

Postby FailureofHumanity » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:57 am

I'm really bad at reeling usually, so I doubt I could do something like that... any advice on how to reel well with the awkward timing of the reel and all?
FailureofHumanity

Postby Accelevi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:11 am

The reel isn't that awkward. Just gas+pendulum+scroll down.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby darkboy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:22 am

If its like a decent pendulam,(can't spell that sorry) then how does the spring pocket work?
darkboy

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials