The Underpass - Tutorial

Place tutorials of any kind here. 〆(・∀・@)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

The Underpass - Tutorial

Postby Swiftblade » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Hello there fellow slayers! Name's Swiftblade. Doubt most of you will know/recognize me since I've only registered recently, but I've been following the forums for a while.
And as my debut, what better way than to contribute to the community with an interesting and, most of all, fun technique? I present to you the Underpass, a move I discovered by myself a while ago and fell completely in love with.

The Underpass

The Underpass is a different way of killing Titans that, unlike most techniques, does not focus on efficiency, speed or high damage values. Instead, the Underpass is used merely for style points and that extra feeling you get from humiliating a Titan (you know you have it). Much like the Panna in soccer/football, the move can only be done in optimal circumstances and gives that extra bit of flare to your game.
Like the name suggests, the Underpass consists of passing in between a Titans legs, circling around his back and slashing at his nape. I've made a video tutorial for easier understanding:

Spoiler:

*Psst* Watch until the end for a clip of me being a scrub

For those who can't, for some reason, view the video or those who want a little bit more information, here's a written tutorial:

- You start out face to face with a large or medium Titan.
- At a comfortable distance (70m for beginners, no less that 50m to avoid mistakes) you fire each rope to it's designated leg. The left rope will hook on the left leg and vice-versa, hooking slightly above the Titan's knee (where the leg bends... durr...)
- Refrain from using gas before you are already in the air as this will make you jump and boost upwards into the titan's belly.
- Use your gas to adjust trajectory and pass cleanly between the Titan's legs.
- Just as you pass through the Titan's legs, unhook and turn your camera around to face the Titan's back.
- Double hook to the bottom of the Titan's spin at an appropriate distance.
- The momentum and the gas will circle you up to the Titan's nape, where you can simply slash for a badass kill.

Common Mistakes
- If you are too close to the Titan he will try and Karate Chop you, which will result in you either not being able to pass in between his legs or hook incorrectly onto his back.
- Hooking to the knees is difficult and will often get you to slam into the Titan's legs. Don't worry, as this is a safe spot and, if you hurry, you can walk out the other side, gas and hook onto the Titan's back, boosting you onto the nape for a defective Underpass.
- Hooking to the side of the Titan's spine will result in you missing the nape by a small margin or, in bigger misses, get you thrown to the side completely.
- Hooking too soon onto the Titan's back will cause the rope to be small, making you circle up onto the middle of the Titan's back, not the nape.
- Hooking too late onto the Titan's back will cause the rope to be too long, making you circle up onto the titan's hair, possibly getting grabbed, or even miss his head entirely.
- Hitting the ground before hooking onto the Titan's back could make you loose quite some momentum, but usually doesn't compromise the move.
- Taking too long to rotate the camera after passing could result in your trajectory being thrown to the side due to the gas, be quick about it.

For obvious reasons, do not try this move on tiny titans and be careful when doing it when there are multiple titans around. It IS possible to do this on abnormals and I myself have been able to a few times, but since their knees shake like crazy while they are running I wouldn't recommend putting your life on the line for an Underpass.

Tips
- If you're having trouble hooking properly to the Titan's knees, go to the training map and find the best place to hook.
- Passing through a Titan's legs can be hard even with them in front of you, make sure there are no branches/trees/Titans that will alter the Titan's route to you.
- If you wait too long to hook to a Titan's knees, he will do a Karate Chop (on Hard atleast). You can dodge into the titans legs to keep yourself from dieing.
- Between a Titan's legs is a safe spot, so if you get caught in there, wait for the Titan to start smashing the ground/swooping and get out of there!
- Like I said before, you can walk out of the Titan's legs and boost yourself up manually for a defective Underpass, ain't no shame in it!
- If you hook too soon to a Titan's spine and realize you can't make it to the nape with that rope, unhook and hook again on an appropriate spot to get yourself to the nape, it still looks cool!
- If you hook too late to the Titan's back, try circling all the way around to about 80º with the ground and reel in for a slice from above, it sometimes looks even cooler!
- If you hook to the side of the Titan's spine and realize you are going off to the side, unhook and hook again on his back, circling around to his nape and getting an Underpass from the side.

Do note that I play on Hard difficulty, hence why I say it is a difficult move since Titans won't stay still too long. I assume on Normal difficulty this move will be considerably easier.
Remember, the Underpass isn't about being the most effective at killing Titans, it's about exploring a whole new angle from which to do it. For efficiency, we can all do sparrows, equators, overheads, etc. For flare, Underpass it is!

Let me hear some feedback!
Last edited by Swiftblade on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Swiftblade

Re: The Underpass - Tutorial

Postby Shirosaki » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:54 pm

I remember I tried to craft a technique something like this...
Didn't work out well.
Shirosaki

Postby Bryne Arnstadt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Very nice move, flashy. I do high quality moves and stuff, and I'm friends with a few pros, so I sort of took on that.
Bryne Arnstadt

Postby Swiftblade » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Bryne Arnstadt wrote:Very nice move, flashy. I do high quality moves and stuff, and I'm friends with a few pros, so I sort of took on that.

How to Oluo Bozado, by Bryne.
Swiftblade

Postby brate » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Hella sexy move. Flipped my shit when I saw it in action for the first time
brate

Postby Accelevi » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:03 pm

This isn't really that practical, but it looks decent.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Swiftblade » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Accelevi wrote:This isn't really that practical, but it looks decent.

Like I said,
Swiftblade wrote:Remember, the Underpass isn't about being the most effective at killing Titans, it's about exploring a whole new angle from which to do it. For efficiency, we can all do sparrows, equators, overheads, etc. For flare, Underpass it is!

It's not about killing it effectively, it's about the style points ^^
There are enough practical ways of killing titans, thanks to all the players here on the forum, so I thought I could bring in something new.
Last edited by Swiftblade on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swiftblade

Postby Bryne Arnstadt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Accelevi wrote:This isn't really that practical, but it looks decent.

Swiftblade wrote:does not focus on efficiency, speed or high damage values.

Merely stating the obvious, I for a fact believe this could be practical in tight situations when your 3DMG movement is limited by the objects surrounding you.
Bryne Arnstadt

Postby Accelevi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:32 am

Yes, I saw that, I'm just restating.
Anyways, if I was limited as to where I could move, I'd sling over its head and move away.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Xedma » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:21 am

This is a cool concept. While The Underpass is just for looks, I do think this presents a cool means of passing a titan before transitioning into another technique that's more powerful, like an instant reel.

edit: accidentally a word
Last edited by Xedma on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xedma

Next

Return to Tutorials