Something That Might Help With Reducing Lag!

Place tutorials of any kind here. 〆(・∀・@)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Something That Might Help With Reducing Lag!

Postby jahob000 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:04 am

So all of us without a doubt has experienced lag at one time or another. I'm not talking about in the Public Servers, as those can fail simply because someone didn't Port Forward correctly. I consider Public Servers the testing grounds for people trying to Port Forward.

No, what I'm talking about are Private Servers. The primary focus of this topic will not be troubleshooting connection problems/issues seeing as how there are already such topics in the dedicated forums such as the Help and Bug Report sections. However I will touch on them briefly.

There are many reasons for lag. Although I may not be an expert on the subject, here are a few reasons/possibilities for lag:

Sometimes the problems can be caused by connection.
1.) The person hosting does not have sufficient internet speed to maintain the connections of others.
2.) The one trying to connect to the the host may have low internet speed.
3.) It could be that you may need to update or reinstall Unity
4.) Unity itself maybe having problems

What about if you know for a fact that your connection is good? Then that's when you turn to your computer.

Other times it could be caused by your computer.
4.) I'm pretty sure you all know this by now. Try reducing your AOT game's quality all the way down.
5.) Your computer may not be built for gaming and thus has may have one of the following:
A.) Weak Graphics card
B.) Not enough Ram/Memory space
C.) Not enough Hard Drive Space
D.) Weak Processor
However if you've purchased a computer even as far as five years ago, you should be fine seeing as that's how old mine is and is properly equipped to maintain this game.
6.) You may have too many programs open.
This applies mainly to programs that are somewhat heavy duty for some computers. If you have a lot of media heavy programs open, close them out. Programs as such being games. Music or pictures shouldn't have any affect.
7.) You may have too many internet tabs/windows open. This also applies mainly to programs that are somewhat heavy duty for some computers If you have too many tabs open in your browser that are media heavy, chances are you can experience lag since your computer is trying to accommodate the processing power of all those tabs. I.E. 10 tabs of Youtube or 10 tabs of something that uses Adobe Flash Player to run.

All of the ones of above were simple troubleshooting methods.

This However is the one that WILL help improve lag the most. You may see a difference and you may not. Some of you may know about this already and some of you may not. I told someone in my group about this method and they said it improved the game better than when they didn't lag. This method involves redirecting processing power to whatever Applications/Programs you have open and it's so easy that there's only 2 or 3 steps. It's a lot easier than it sounds so let's get to it. Please note that this method caters to Windows users

Step 1.) Simple click start and type Task Manager then open the program. You can also right click on the taskbar and see it there as well.
(I forget if Windows XP users have the search feature, if not, fear not. There is another way. The other method is to click and hold Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then it should take you to a list of options. Click Start Task Manager.)

Step 2.) Click on the Processes tab and find your internet browser. Mine just so happens to be FireFox. You should be able to find the name in the Image Name column or the Description column. Your list should be listed alphabetically by default. I find it easier to sort it by Memory from greatest to least (With the little Light Blue arrow pointing down above Memorey). Once you find your Browser, right click and go to Set Priority. By default it's set to normal, change it to Highest. What you did is allowed your computer to focus more of it's processing power into your internet browser.

That's all there is to it. The best thing about this is not only will AOTTG improve, but your Internet browser as well.

This method also works for other programs that may require a little more power. You can also lower the priority of programs that run in the background that you don't use but leave open.

Please note that this method does not improve lag due to connection issues. If there is still lag then verify that yours or your host's connection speed is adequate enough. Go to this website

www . speedtest . net/

If you don't know what speed is average, go to these two websites as well

gizmodo . com / americas-internet-inequality-a-map-of-whos-got-the-b-1057686215

Now for the WARNINGS. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHANGE YOUR PRIORITY TO REALTIME!!!

As far as I know the computer won't even let you do it without some sort of method or something. Putting something in Realtime is like saying "This program is sooo important, I don't even want other stuff to work!" Things being input devices such as your mouse, keyboard and other things can become completely unresponsive. It's several steps up above the Highest setting and can damage your computer.

I also recommend not changing things that you don't recognize or are apart of the computers processes. Only adjust Applications/Programs that you've installed or something similar I.E. VLC Media Player, Itunes, Internet Browsers etc. You can always change the priority back when done or leave it at the highest setting. Just realize that if you leave your internet in it's Highest setting and leave it open, then try to open some other program that's processor heavy, the other program may lag until you either change the browser's priority back to normal or you close it.

Fear not though. Adjusting the priority is a normal thing to do so no worries about the safety of your computer.

Like I said, I'm no expert but I always do research before doing something. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me here or simply message me on Skype Jahob000.

Have a good one!

EDIT: So what I'm finding out is that this method is only temporary. As soon as you either close the Application/Program or restart your computer, the priorities go back to normal. However I have found a way around that.

Check out how to do it permanently

http :// www . youtube . com / watch?v=TQt5iMLsavQ
(Restart your computer after you install a program to make it take effect)

Also Even when you set a High Priority for you browser, It'll improve the browser and the game but not the game completely. You have to set a High Priority for the game itself. The problem is, it's not under the name Unity Web Player.

This may vary from browser to browser but what I did was I did just like above. I opened my task manager and went to the Processes tab. I then opened the AOT game. Knowing that the game uses a large amount of memory, the game would show up near the top of my list (Since that's how I have my list organized). Since I had everything else closed except my the AOT game I knew that was it. So I set the priority to High.

For FireFox, Under the Image Name column was plugin-container.exe*32 while in the Description column it was Plugin Container For FireFox. There will probably more than one of these but the one with the most memory is most likely the AOT game.

EDIT: One last thing, Just because you set the Priority to Highest, does NOT mean that you'll be able to play the game with a higher quality setting. This method does not take the place of an up-to-date or superior graphics card, You will still lag if you try to up the graphics. This is just to give the with regular lag caused by the computer to a process boost.
Last edited by jahob000 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jahob000

Re: Something That Might Help With Reducing Lag!

Postby Khally » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:13 am

Small input.

Most issues while playing online should be blamed on people's connections - the host's and/or the players'. The game uses a LOT of uploading bandwidth and many people's connections aren't even stable.. I can try to write a proper explanation in the future, if people are interested, since networking is something the average user doesn't even begin to comprehend.
Khally

Re: Something That Might Help With Reducing Lag!

Postby jahob000 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 am

Khally wrote:Small input.

Most issues while playing online should be blamed on people's connections - the host's and/or the players'. The game uses a LOT of uploading bandwidth and many people's connections aren't even stable.. I can try to write a proper explanation in the future, if people are interested, since networking is something the average user doesn't even begin to comprehend.

I agree with you completely. This is just something that can aide in dissipating lag even when their connection is fair.
jahob000

Return to Tutorials