Hosting/Port Forwarding Explained in BASIC AND GREAT DETAIL!

Place tutorials of any kind here. 〆(・∀・@)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Hosting/Port Forwarding Explained in BASIC AND GREAT DETAIL!

Postby jahob000 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:17 am

I've looked through the froums and have checked All of the other tutorials which are very good. However, there are still times where there are a few people that are lost. The purpose of this one is to attempt to give a bunch of analogies for those who are still lost or don't quite understand. I was at a complete loss myself but after hours of learning, I finally got it.

First off I AM NOT AN EXPERT AT ANY OF THIS. I do however, have a basic understanding though and will attempt to explain it the way I see it in my head. Now even though I'm no expert, I will not tell you to do anything that I'm unsure of or that is unsafe. I'm going to make this as detailed as I possibly can. Seeing as how I'm going to be breaking this tutorial down to it's most basic form, it's going to be quite lengthy. It'll have a lot of pictures underneath the spoilers button so that should help out. After all, having your own server for this games makes all this hard work worth it. If I leave anything out, just lemme know.

First thing's first. This website will be your BEST friend throughout this tutorial http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ It has Port Forwarding guides for nearly every make and model of routers. However don't follow their guide completely. I will explain why in a minute.

(For those of you that have done this tutorial and are experiencing problems, please look near the bottom for troubleshooting.)

STEP 1.) FINDING YOUR YOUR ROUTER

Ok, so now we're gonna need to get some information from your router so we can move forward.
1.) Router make and model. This can be found in your manual or on the router itself. (I.E. Linksys(Make) BEFSR41(Model))
2.) ROUTER's IP Address A.K.A. Configuration Key. (Not your computer's IP Address) this can be found on the router or in the
cmd box which I will explain how to get to in a second.
3.) Router's configuration log in information (Username and Password)
(Example in spoiler)
Spoiler:

Not all routers have the all the information on it. If that's the case then don't worry about it and move on for now.

So now that we have our router information, lets go ahead and open the command box since we're gonna need it later anyway.
There are many ways to open it. (Click the Spoiler button if you don't know the different ways)

Right click the Taskbar and choose Start Task Manager.
Spoiler:

In the Applications Tab choose New Task. A box will pop open and there you will type cmd and click OK.
Spoiler:

You can also click the Windows' Start Icon and type cmd.
Spoiler:

Lastly, you can just click Start and go to the Accessories Folder and there it is.
Spoiler:

So go ahead and open it and leave it open and leave it there for now. We'll be coming back to it.

Click the link I posted near the beginning of the tutorial. There should be a list of all the routers like this
Spoiler:

For the sake of this example, we'll be following the guide for Linksys. Remember the make and model we had to find? So first find your make in the list, then click on it.
Spoiler:

When you see this page, close it. It's just an ad.
Spoiler:

Next you should see a list of models for the Brand Name router you clicked on. Member that model number we jotted down? Find it in this list and click here
Spoiler:

You should see this page next.
Spoiler:

Ok now this is one part that we are going to deviate from the guide. What your seeing here is a list PC Games that the guide will tell you how to set up through port forwarding. Our lovely, wonderful game is not listed here so therefore you can click on whatever game you want since we won't be using whatever port they have set up. For the sake of the example, I'm just gonna click the first one listed.

After you've clicked and chosen a game, you should now end up on the page that shows the guide. BUT FIRST! See if this is at near the top of your guide page. This is what'll determine if you need to do an extra few steps or not.
Spoiler:

If you don't see this then skip this and go down to Step 3.

STEP 2.) GETTING A STATIC IP ADRESS

If this IS what you see, then it means that the guide is letting you know that your router needs a STATIC IP ADDRESS.

We're gonna need to get a program for that which is on that very same page.
Spoiler:

Click the orange text link that says PF Setup Static IP.

You should end up at the download page for the program that looks like this
Spoiler:

Click the orange text link that is locate in step number 1 on the page. The program should be downloading to your computer. Okay now STOP! DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE YET!

Read below to understand why getting this program is so important.

Now before we go any further, I'm gonna do a little bit of explaining so that you can have a firm view of the importance of this step.

Now imagine that there are 5 of us in a circle (5 computers in a household) and let's say that I'm in the middle of the circle (Router)
I have a hat with pieces of paper inside labeled with one random number. I give each of you a number. (Your Computer's Internal/Private Dynamic IP Address that usually starts with 192.168.X.X)
3 of you leave the circle (3 computers turn off) and I take your numbers and put them back into the hat (hat being the router's IP pool)
3 of you return and I give you a piece a different random piece of paper (Computer gets a new IP Address)

Do you get the process so far? Good, let's keep going.

You tell the me (the router) that you want to allow someone from another circle to send one end of a rope so you can tie it to yourself to be connected (Allowing a program through a router's port). You give the number back to me and you leave.
Then you come back and I give you a different number and you say "Hey, what happened to the rope? Why didn't you send it to me? I said it was ok to send it to me" (Allowed a program through the port but nowhere to go)
I say "Well, you gave your number back to me so I didn't know who to send it to."
You say "Hmmm...Tell you what. Why don't you just let me HAVE one of that number until I decide I wanna get a random one again. That way I can stay tied to the person from the other circle as long as I want."
I say "Hmm...ok then." I give you a number and then I send the rope to you. and there you go!

Any confusion in that analogy? So pretty much if you don't keep your computer's IP Static (This is only If your router needs that) then you're router will never know which computer is supposed to receive the connection that was allowed through.

So now that we got that outta the way, let's move on to getting the software you need in order to make your IP Static. Once you have the program downloaded onto your computer, go ahead and open it. Now before you go clicking buttons, there's gonna be a few things that you want to Decline as they will just add programs to your computer that you don't need. If the Next button is greyed out then that means you gotta Accept or Agree to it. The ad ones look like this
Spoiler:

If you haven't ran into em yet then you gotta hit next or accept before you run into em.

So once the program is installed, go ahead and open it. It should automatically have filled in your information. Something like this
Spoiler:

See that Make It Static button? Go ahead and click it and it should have changed your IP Address.

STEP 3.) ACCESSING YOUR ROUTER'S SETTINGS THROUGH THE INTERNET

Member the command box we opened? Go ahead and bring that back up.

Go ahead and type ipconfig/all. No not ipconfig. There's a reason for this.
Spoiler:

Once you've done that, this is what you should see
Spoiler:

For those of you that did Step 2, in the command box, look for the line that says DHCP ENEABLED.............YES/NO.
This line pops up multiple times, make sure you go to the first one that says it. If it says NO then that means that your IP Address is Static. If it says YES then it's Dynamic.

So now we need the ROUTER's IP Address which can be found in one of these places:
On your router
In the command box where it says DEFAULT GATEWAY
In the website's guide that I sent you the link to

Go ahead and type that into your browser's address bar. Do not put in the line that says IPv4 Address since that is your computer's IP Address and that's not what we want.

Once you type that in, you may be asked to type in a username and password. THIS IS NOT THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD TO YOUR WIFI NETWORK! Most people don't change this information and is usually set to default. This is because they just want to plug up their router and get on the internet. Sometimes this information is on your router. If not, then check the guide that you're following. They should have the default username and password there.

If the information you entered is incorrect or the one from the guide didn't work, then I'm afraid you're going to either have to Google it or call your ISP. If you cannot get past this step, then you cannot host.

STEP 4.) FOLLOW THE GUIDE AND FINISHING UP

Like I said before, we're only following the guide because everybody's router is different and we don't know where we go in the settings menu to put in our port number.

Your webpage and settings may look very different but in general, putting in the port number and what not should be something like this
Spoiler:

So when we get to the part where we enter in our port number, we're going to deviate once again slightly. Depending on the game you chose, It may be telling you put in a different port number or multiple port numbers. We're only gonna put in one. That port number is going to be 27015.

Now from what I hear, you can use nearly any port number but everyone usually has problems because of that. So to eliminate unnecessary errors and frustration just use that one. Save your settings and your done! Don't close the page though, just in case you made a mistake and have to go back and change something.

STEP 5.) TESTING YOUR NEWLY OPENED SERVER AND ENTERING INTO HOST STARDUM!!!

Now that you've come this far, there's nothing left but testing your server. However if you want to share your server and play with friends you need to find your Public/External IP Address. This is NOT the one that you find on your computer that usually says 192.169.X.X.

So to find your Public IP Address, simply go to Google and type it in.
Spoiler:

Once you find it, it should be right on the results page
Spoiler:

Open the Attack on Titan Tribute Game
Spoiler:

Go to Multiplayer
Spoiler:

Go to Create Game
Spoiler:

The next screen should look like this
Spoiler:

Choose the level, Server Name (Optional), change the Port Number from 265000 to 27015, Amount of Players, Time and Difficulty. For amount of players, unless you have above normal upload and download speed, I'd suggest sticking aound 4 or 5. then click Start. You can click the dot next to Public Server which causes it to turn yellow and makes your server open to the public. Not clicking it makes it Private For testing purposes however, I'd suggest testing it with a Private Server seeing as how the Public Severs are filled with issues due to error in setup and what not.
Spoiler:

Next screen should look like this. By default, everyone is Mikasa with no name. If you Hit enter or click in the text box on the left hand side you can chat. Choose your character, choose your Input name, choose Camera Type then click Ready. If you're playing for friends, wait for them to pop up underneath your name. Keep waiting until you see that they have chosen a name and character. Once you see they have all done so. Go ahead and click Start
Spoiler:

Last but certainly not the least. The moment you've ALL been waiting for!!!!! PLAY THE GAME!!!!
Spoiler:

TROUBLESHOOTING AND ERRORS/PROBLEMS

Ever since I opened my server, I've been teaching a lot of people how to host and ran into some strange/unique and host stopping problems.

ROUTER LOG IN FAILURE

The first and BIGGEST problem is that people can't get their log on information for their router. I don't have an absolute answer so I all I can do is tell you things that you've most likely already tried.
The first thing would be to reset your router. If you set up a lot of different things with your router and don't know how to set them back up, then I don't suggest this method.

I don't just mean holding down the router for 3 seconds and letting go. Every router has a specific way of resetting. Whether it be holding it for a certain amount of time, unplugging it for a certain amount of time or a combination of the two. Most people think they've flushed their router back to it's factory settings when in fact they really didn't.

Some of you don't have physical access to do this or may be on the young side and are not allowed to reset the router even if you can get to it. Anyway, resetting the router should put everything password and all back to the default.

If you can't reset it, then try calling your ISP and see if they kept track of your log in information or if they have the correct default login information.

If that's not an option, try looking on your router. It may or may not be there. Also try the guide as it may have the correct info (though sometimes it can be incorrect).

Last resort is to just Google. That's all I can really say. If you can't get past this part, then you cannot host.

ROUTER NOT LISTED IN THE GUIDE

The most annoying problem I hated running into was this. Because if it's not listed, then it's some kind of obscure router that's hard to find. The only thing I can say again is....You guessed it. Google or Youtube. Unless you wanna just try to randomly search and try stuff in your settings which I don't recommend as you can change something that you may not want to change.

See if your ISP would be willing to walk you through it.

OTHER OBSCURE PROBLEMS

Sometimes people that have tried to use the program, nothing comes up in the box for them. Even if they already know what to type in the boxes, there's no button for them to click to make their IP Static.

Now I'm not sure about this part but supposedly there are some ISPs in some countries that charge for port forwarding and thus block off any roads from you being able to do so.

If it still failed, go back and DOUBLE AND TRIPLE check EVERYTHING that you had to type into your settings. I've ran into a few people that have sworn up and down that they did it right but next thing you know there was a box that they forgot to put something in it.

Sorry that the only answers that I pretty much had were "Search Google, Youtube or go to your ISPs." As I said, I'm not an expert.

Anyway. That concludes this ABSURDLY long tutorial. Hope everything works out for your guys

HAVE FUN!

I'm also looking for hosts that want to join my group so I can balance out my host to player ration. Message me on Skype. Jahob000

SIDE NOTE: I also have a Japanese Learning Group.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7250
If you have any questions, PM me or Skype me at Jahob000.
Please do not talk about the Japanese Learning Group in this thread
Thank You!
Last edited by jahob000 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
jahob000

Re: Hosting/Port Forwarding Explained in BASIC AND GREAT DET

Postby Haru » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:28 am

nice tutorial thanks ^^
Haru

Postby jahob000 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:05 am

Haru wrote:nice tutorial thanks ^^

Thanks. There's a few minor things I need to fix, like a few typos or words that I forgot to put in. Lol I've been workin on this non-stop and I'm kinda tired. :P
jahob000

Postby Thirdkazekage » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:08 am

That's right, you better make use of this and host for once :lol:
Thirdkazekage

Postby iavas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:41 am

Wow, this a really detailed tutorial, might give hosting a go sometime, thanks!
iavas

Postby jahob000 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:12 am

iavas wrote:Wow, this a really detailed tutorial, might give hosting a go sometime, thanks!

Yeah you should. Despite how long it is, it's very easy to follow. I tried to cover every nook and cranny so that no one can POSSIBLY get lost (They still have some hiccups though).

Cuz I know how it is if you never tried something before and you don't wanna wonder if you did something wrong.
jahob000

Postby Colopty » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:09 pm

That's both really detailed and really colorful. Loving it. :D
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Colopty
Forum Luminary

Formerly: Cephalopod god

Postby Khally » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:39 pm

I've been postponing a very similar topic for ages now. Glad someone beat me to it ahah :lol:

If you need any help correcting any mistakes, formatting or getting technical details right, feel free to discuss it with me via PM, I can help you out.
Khally

Postby Xyro » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:41 pm

My gosh that's detailed. It'll take a while, don't have much time
Xyro

Postby Haru » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Thirdkazekage wrote:

That's right, you better make use of this and host for once :lol:

until christa/histy update
Haru