[Dynamic DNS Tutorial] ~ Super Simplified ~

Place tutorials of any kind here. 〆(・∀・@)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

[Dynamic DNS Tutorial] ~ Super Simplified ~

Postby Bogsy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:37 am

Bogsy’s Glorious DDNS Tutorial
Where dreams come true.

Q: What's a Dynamic DNS? [DDNS]
A: Without getting much into it, basically an alternative instead of using your actual IP.
If you want to get into complex means, feel free to google it.

Q: Is there a difference?
A: Yes, instead of providing your actual IP, you instead provide the DDNS. Feel safe yet?
_ Instead of using 1.123.45.67 to connect to a server, it would be hidemyip.please
_ Yes, I'm serious. Unfortunately, it'll look much different as we are using a Free Dynamic DNS provider.

Q: Can I use this for Hamachi, Evolve and other Mesh Network programs?
A: Big nono. Don't bother, rather a waste of time since you already are seeing everyone's IP and whatnot.
This tutorial is directed to those who are using their own IP's to host their server.

Q: What do I need setup before starting this?
A: Do NOT attempt to start this without the requirement below, nothing will work otherwise.
- Port Forward & Static IP
If you haven't done so already go read up on jahob000's tutorial. <- Great man for doing this. Ya'll should be grateful.
(Scroll down a bit if you already port-forwarded, he talks about Static IP's there.)
http://fenglee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7278

Khally wrote:Assigning a static IP address isn't required, but generally advised for routers without DHCP. So don't worry If you cannot do that part, since most routers do.

Alright, looks we're ready to start the tutorial. Be in mind, this is tutorial utterly complex and requires much brain to figure out.

Step 1: Register!
Seriously, there's no need for me to show you how that's done. So here's a link, if you somehow fail this step, you don't deserve to be hosting a server.
http://freedns.afraid.org/

Step 2: Setup Subdomain!
Good, you got passed the most difficult part of this tutorial. I bet it asked you to confirm your email too.
After logging in, find the main menu and click "Subdomain." Click the spoiler if you need help.
Spoiler:

Next: Click "Add" when it shows up and you'll come across one of the hardest setup boxes known to man.
You'll be editing 3 things and leaving the rest alone.
Subdomain: Call it whatever you like.
Domain: Pick any one that suits best to you. Questionable selections yes, but there's more crazy names to choose from. You can figure that out yourself with little effort.
Desination: Make sure you put the actual IP you're using for hosting your SnK servers.

Spoiler:

If you did everything right, it should turn out something like this.
Spoiler:
Seriously, who came up with these names.

Q: Two steps? That's it?
A: Yes, give it some time while the site syncs your IP to the DDNS.
(It usually takes a few minutes.)

Q: It's not working, what do you do?
A: Give up on life and become titan food. Kidding, if people can't connect to your normal IP then you have yet to port-forward/static-ip successfully.

Now, like with the Port-Forward & Static IP. I assume you already know how to host a game in Attack on Titan.
So make sure to provide the DDNS & Port instead of YourIP & Port.

Congrats, you've just made everyone's lives easier connecting to your server!
For ocd-complex users, google No-IP. Another Free DDNS but it follows example.no-ip.org instead of example.chickenkiller.com
Last edited by Bogsy on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogsy

Re: [Dynamic DNS Tutorial] ~ Super Simplified ~

Postby Khally » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 pm

I just have to add something.

Assigning a static IP address isn't required, but generally advised for routers without DHCP. So don't worry If you cannot do that part, since most routers do.
Khally

Postby Bogsy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Khally wrote:I just have to add something.

Assigning a static IP address isn't required, but generally advised for routers without DHCP. So don't worry If you cannot do that part, since most routers do.

That's true, haha.
Guess I'll do a quick edit, in there.
Bogsy

Postby Doge » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 am

Useful tutorial.
Better ask my friend to host a 20-man server.
And yes, he has an awesome wi-fi.
Like us. :lol:
Doge

Return to Tutorials