Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Place tutorials of any kind here. 〆(・∀・@)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby Lisbeth » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:00 pm



I just want to say how difficult it is to pull off a Proxima.
Other than that, I love the way the move looks, feels, handles, etc.

Here's a video to show that Smooth Scroll isn't just for Yoyo-ing,
Which many people seem to have misconceived notions of.

I just want to credit Xedma for finding the barebones of Overdrive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDUesHSF1_w
I actually found Overdrive on my own prior to finding that Xedma had already named it haha.

Of course, you can see that spazzing out on the nape, which is Overdrive, is part of Proxima.

Props to you Mr. Xedma.

---------

Differences Between Scrolls:

Regular:
-Cannot Reel Out/Adjust/Stabilize
-A single scroll down always has the same reel strength value. The strength of the reel cannot be influenced, only the angle which you reel from.
-Multiple scroll downs will not stack. The computer will delay the input of a scroll down as each scroll down counts as a separate input.
-Easier to learn due to preset, always identical, reels. You only have to worry about your angles.
-Enables multiples tries for high damage hits through Hydra Spinning.
-Allows for easier Hydras.
-Cannot use Overdrive, Yoyo, or Proxima techniques.
-Enables Slingshot. (Multiple reels around a tree similar to Yoyo Acceleration. (Note: Yoyo=/=Yoyo Acceleration)

Smooth:
-Can Reel Out/Adjust/Stabilize
-The strength of the reel can be adjusted depending on how long one scrolls down.
-Scroll is continuously read as one input by the computer as long as the scroll wheel continues spinning.
-More difficult to control. Reel strength always slightly varies and depends on the users ability to judge fluid reel usage.
-Smooth Scroll can use most techniques Regular Scroll can, however being slightly more difficult due to varying reel strengths.
-Enables Overdrive, Yoyo, and Proxima.
-Enables Yoyo Acceleration, the Smooth Scroll equivalent of Slingshot. (It is possible to Yoyo Accelerate around trees and other objects to build up speed)
Lisbeth
 

 

Re: Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby TheGreatJedi » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Aren't this suppose to be in Tutorial or somewhere cuz it kinds of explains and teach techniques

Nice vid btw
The only thing that makes me disable Yoyo smooth scroll sometimes is the reeling
cuz it reels you excatly where or the center of your two hooks which is hard to adapt in some techniques
TheGreatJedi
 

Re: Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby Xedma » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:46 am

TheGreatJedi wrote:Aren't this suppose to be in Tutorial or somewhere cuz it kinds of explains and teach techniques
Yes. Someone will take care of that.

This is a great video and I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about SS vs RS. I also LOVE your little bit about unreeling =/= yoyo which is something I argue all the time. One thing people never seem to realize is that yoyo was first made as a way to avoid crashing into trees and second to deal massive damage. Since its creation, I've use unreeling for stabilization and to avoid crashing.

HOWEVER, Proxima is not in any way new. This is something I created after discovering overdrive and before I invented yoyo. I call it the Spiral Strike (my old tutorial is in my signature) which is identical to your Proxima. I created Spiral Strike as a way to consistently pull off Overdrives. I invented Yoyo to go along with Spiral Strike, but they are not the same thing.

Steps for Spiral Strike/Proxima:
1. Hook center of the nape
2. Rotate until you pass the front of the titan
3. Reel in hard and overdrive

Essentially, yoyo is just a prolonged spiral strike/proxima. Infact, I only consider the accelerating aspect to be yoyo. The actual strike is still a spiral strike/proxima.
Xedma
 

Re: Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby Lisbeth » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:17 am

Xedma wrote:HOWEVER, Proxima is not in any way new. This is something I created after discovering overdrive and before I invented yoyo. I call it the Spiral Strike (my old tutorial is in my signature) which is identical to your Proxima. I created Spiral Strike as a way to consistently pull off Overdrives. I invented Yoyo to go along with Spiral Strike, but they are not the same thing.

Steps for Spiral Strike/Proxima:
1. Hook center of the nape
2. Rotate until you pass the front of the titan
3. Reel in hard and overdrive


While I agree on the fundamental steps for killing using Spiral Strike and Proxima being the same, I would argue that the difference between a Spiral and a Proxima is the use of an object to turn tightly and hook as close as possible to a titan. Originally, I developed Proxima by keeping in mind that reel out increases damage output. However, I wanted to develop a technique that allowed for hyper fast gameplay without relying on reel out. The damage gain of a Proxima as compared to a Spiral Strike is not the distance of the reel in/out, but harnessing the momentum gained from making as tight a turn as possible on the titan. Just this morning I hit a 2.6k Proxima within about 10-20 meters as I passed right in front of it's face and the reel in was extremely short, and the time elapsed between the initial hooking of the nape and the kill was approximately less than a quarter of a second.

If that is the case however, then I would not argue that Proxima is derived from Spiral Strike.
The main differences being:
1. Proxima cannot be adjusted (reel out) due to the required speed of the kill
2. Proxima damage is based on proximity (closeness to, rather than farther from) the target (hence the name Proxima)
3. Proxima is faster than Spiral in terms of initial hook to kill timeframe

tl;dr- Proxima was made to be used without reel out and still get 2k+ dmg, so I wouldn't say it's identical to Spiral.
Lisbeth
 

Re: Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby trueblue1321 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:28 am

I always spun around a titan without reeling and when I would reach the titan's eyes/face, I would simply reel in to get 2k+. I thought that move I did was a spiral xD But now I realize I don't even know Overdrive :(
trueblue1321
 

Re: Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby Xedma » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:44 am

Lisbeth wrote:While I agree on the fundamental steps for killing using Spiral Strike and Proxima being the same, I would argue that the difference between a Spiral and a Proxima is the use of an object to turn tightly and hook as close as possible to a titan. Originally, I developed Proxima by keeping in mind that reel out increases damage output. However, I wanted to develop a technique that allowed for hyper fast gameplay without relying on reel out. The damage gain of a Proxima as compared to a Spiral Strike is not the distance of the reel in/out, but harnessing the momentum gained from making as tight a turn as possible on the titan. Just this morning I hit a 2.6k Proxima within about 10-20 meters as I passed right in front of it's face and the reel in was extremely short, and the time elapsed between the initial hooking of the nape and the kill was approximately less than a quarter of a second.

If that is the case however, then I would not argue that Proxima is derived from Spiral Strike.
The main differences being:
1. Proxima cannot be adjusted (reel out) due to the required speed of the kill
2. Proxima damage is based on proximity (closeness to, rather than farther from) the target (hence the name Proxima)
3. Proxima is faster than Spiral in terms of initial hook to kill timeframe

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. When spiral strike was made, I did it with the intention of conserving momentum. In fact, the only thing preventing 2ks was hooking speed which was at the time non-relative. Now that it's changed and has allowed things like air-equatoring, that is no longer the case.

1. Spiral Strike doesn't need unreel. It helps for avoiding collisions and damage (yoyo).
2. It's easier to hook when you fly close to the target. That's a given for hook placement in general (overdrive).
3. Speed is relative, and I've gotten quite a few 2ks with Spiral Strike without unreeling.

I'm not trying to bash you, It's great that you discovered this on your own! My issue is that we don't need two names for the same technique. Technique nomenclature is difficult enough already >_<
Xedma
 

Re: Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby Lisbeth » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Xedma wrote:I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. When spiral strike was made, I did it with the intention of conserving momentum. In fact, the only thing preventing 2ks was hooking speed which was at the time non-relative. Now that it's changed and has allowed things like air-equatoring, that is no longer the case.

1. Spiral Strike doesn't need unreel. It helps for avoiding collisions and damage (yoyo).
2. It's easier to hook when you fly close to the target. That's a given for hook placement in general (overdrive).
3. Speed is relative, and I've gotten quite a few 2ks with Spiral Strike without unreeling.

I'm not trying to bash you, It's great that you discovered this on your own! My issue is that we don't need two names for the same technique. Technique nomenclature is difficult enough already >_<




If I may be so intrusive xD I know Spiral Strike doesn't need Reel Out, but the way an Overdrive is accomplished would mean it's a different move. I only argue because I include the way speed is gained when considering technique.in that video, I have some far hooking Spirals and tree dodges which were heavily dependent on the reel for adjustment.
I guess what I want to say is that I believe the difference would be how the reel is used in relation to the kill.
Like Yoyo Acceleration is not a Yoyo unless it's used to kill.
I think that Proxima is a certain type of Spiral Strike.
But yes, I can see your point that a Proxima fits the description of a Spiral, however not all Spirals fit the description of a Proxima.
As seen in the video, overdrive is possible through different methods of gaining speed.

It's the same argument that all toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads.
Spirals being the general frogs, Proxima being a specific type of Spiral.
This is getting weird.

(And I know you know this, sorry for sounding like a smartass -u- )
Lisbeth
 

Re: Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby Lisbeth » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:05 pm

TheGreatJedi wrote:Aren't this suppose to be in Tutorial or somewhere cuz it kinds of explains and teach techniques

Nice vid btw
The only thing that makes me disable Yoyo smooth scroll sometimes is the reeling
cuz it reels you excatly where or the center of your two hooks which is hard to adapt in some techniques


Yes, sadly it makes techniques like hydra, hydra spinning, and vector difficult because with an SS mouse, you have to consider how hard you have to reel, as it's not preset like a regular scroll mouse.
Lisbeth
 

Re: Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby TehTitanKilla » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:53 pm

w o a h... this. is. such an expert technique you must be a really awesome player :D nice tutorial vid and cool technique. I don't think I can master this, b/c I don't have mouse that has smooth scroll :C, but it's not like I can master this immediately b/c I tend to crash when at high speeds and always fail. But again, what an awesome technique XD
TehTitanKilla
 

Re: Smooth Scroll and Proxima

Postby Miracle » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:25 am

Imo, whoever made the name famous get the name, not whoever state the name first. Though Xedma win by default in both case.
Miracle
 

Next

Return to Tutorials

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron