Forest Challenge

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Re: Forest Challenge

Postby Noodler » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:37 pm

Tethys wrote:Does anybody else still try and play this every so often?
Haven't been able to get a better time as I haven't been playing all that much myself in the past several days.
Managed a 49 titans in 374s just now though - which probably could have been a reasonable time - immediately before being horribly, horribly killed.
This is usually what I do when I'm playing solo though, so I'll probably produce a better time as a matter of course. Aiming for sub 8 minutes.

It would be really great if something like this could be made 'official' in some way, so that more of the experienced players might give it a try.

Are you jesus? I got 31 titans in 270-280 sec before dying. :(
Noodler

Postby Tethys » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 am

Accelevi wrote:I'm considering what sort of stuff I might add into official Scoreboards...

Thank you very much for considering the suggestion! Unfortunately though, after a little further thought, it seems to me that with the game the way it currently is it isn't going to be feasible to implement something like this. And that's largely because of the existence of mods and the fact that a reasonable minority of people seem to be using them. My previous idea of setting the time to its maximum of 99 minutes (5940 seconds) and then determining the difference between that and the time remaining in a person's screenshot would be undermined by the fact that mods exist that allow a player to set a time above 99 minutes. And this means that we're back to having the same problem we did when people put "10" minutes into the timer: there's no definitive way of knowing whether the person *actually* put that amount of time in.

I think the only way would be if a Multiplayer option to set time to "Infinity" in which we have a Timer that counts up - like in Singleplayer - instead of down was introduced. Or if a new Singleplayer map that features waves was introduced.

Anyway....Managed to get my time down a little bit. I still feel I'm way off a hypothetical limit, as in this 496 second run (5940 - 5444 = 496s) it felt like I just kept making mistake after mistake after mistake. Imagine the timer reads "104". I think I should be able to approach the 7 minute mark as a natural matter of course if I keep playing this mode casually.

Noodler wrote:Are you jesus? I got 31 titans in 270-280 sec before dying.

I am no god, I am but a simple Spiderglider. I've seen your Abnormal videos though and they're pretty promising. When I started trying this 'Forest Challenge' I couldn't even get a single time completed because I kept trying to get an absolutely dream run done right from the get-go. When I slowed down and ensured simply that I was able to post any time whatsoever I was then able to gradually pick up the pace a little more each time I went. Maybe you're facing a similar issue.
Tethys

Postby Accelevi » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:54 pm

The 99 countdown thing is the best possible plan.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Tethys » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:38 am

Yeah you're right, the only pity would be that faith would be involved to a certain extent, unlike in other scoreboard categories where screenshots are definitive.

Having said that though, 7 minutes 53 seconds:

First screenshot reads 5467; 5940 - 5467 = 473 seconds. Second one is a little more clear. If time was set to 10, the first would read '127'.
Tethys

Postby Xedma » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Nice job Tethys!
And for the record, my crawler is better than yours~
Xedma

Postby Noodler » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Tethys wrote:
Accelevi wrote:I'm considering what sort of stuff I might add into official Scoreboards...

Thank you very much for considering the suggestion! Unfortunately though, after a little further thought, it seems to me that with the game the way it currently is it isn't going to be feasible to implement something like this. And that's largely because of the existence of mods and the fact that a reasonable minority of people seem to be using them. My previous idea of setting the time to its maximum of 99 minutes (5940 seconds) and then determining the difference between that and the time remaining in a person's screenshot would be undermined by the fact that mods exist that allow a player to set a time above 99 minutes. And this means that we're back to having the same problem we did when people put "10" minutes into the timer: there's no definitive way of knowing whether the person *actually* put that amount of time in.

I think the only way would be if a Multiplayer option to set time to "Infinity" in which we have a Timer that counts up - like in Singleplayer - instead of down was introduced. Or if a new Singleplayer map that features waves was introduced.

Anyway....Managed to get my time down a little bit. I still feel I'm way off a hypothetical limit, as in this 496 second run (5940 - 5444 = 496s) it felt like I just kept making mistake after mistake after mistake. Imagine the timer reads "104". I think I should be able to approach the 7 minute mark as a natural matter of course if I keep playing this mode casually.

Noodler wrote:Are you jesus? I got 31 titans in 270-280 sec before dying.

I am no god, I am but a simple Spiderglider. I've seen your Abnormal videos though and they're pretty promising. When I started trying this 'Forest Challenge' I couldn't even get a single time completed because I kept trying to get an absolutely dream run done right from the get-go. When I slowed down and ensured simply that I was able to post any time whatsoever I was then able to gradually pick up the pace a little more each time I went. Maybe you're facing a similar issue.

Nah, I only attempted this twice. I hate speedruns because I'm easily pressured, and I don't really like playing on hard so I'm not too interested in this.
Noodler

Postby Tethys » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:47 pm

Xedma wrote:Nice job Tethys!
And for the record, my crawler is better than yours~

Colopty wrote:Calm down Xedma. Green doesn't look good on you.

Of course it is true to say that Spider-sama in all its many incarnations - from the tiniest of forest spiders, with their proclivity towards climbing the bottom of tree trunks, to the largest of city spiders with their adorable insistence on getting stuck between buildings - are worthy of awe and respect. Although having said this, are you seriously comparing your mere terrestrial ground spider to the DIZZYING AND INCOMPREHENSIBLE GLORY that is the majestic Spiderplane? Have the G-forces from all that reeling you do messed with your brain ?!?!?!
Tethys

Postby Xedma » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:37 am

Tethys wrote:Of course it is true to say that Spider-sama in all its many incarnations - from the tiniest of forest spiders, with their proclivity towards climbing the bottom of tree trunks, to the largest of city spiders with their adorable insistence on getting stuck between buildings - are worthy of awe and respect. Although having said this, are you seriously comparing your mere terrestrial ground spider to the DIZZYING AND INCOMPREHENSIBLE GLORY that is the majestic Spiderplane? Have the G-forces from all that reeling you do messed with your brain ?!?!?!

I'll have you know that the G-forces from all that reeling I did didn't mess with my brain too much ...
You think you're so big riding on the back of a flying ant? Are those wires I see? REAL men don't use wires to ride these majestic beasts~ (don't tell me Mikasa is not a man)
And another thing, are you really going to let that house over there burn while you spend all your time on that jumping horse? That's rather irresponsible of you~
<3 you Teth don't ever think I don't
Xedma

Postby Hilo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:10 am

*Doesn't have a crawler to ride upon*

...peasants.
Hilo

Postby Colopty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:46 am

Hilo wrote:*Doesn't have a crawler to ride upon*

...peasants.

Yeah... This guy wins, sorry to tell you.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Colopty
Forum Luminary

Formerly: Cephalopod god

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion