The Stifled Modding Community

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby HallowedSaber » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am

Empath wrote:Regardless of what _we_ want though, this is still Feng's game, these are his forums, and we will respect his desires. This isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship. If that ends up allowing a competitor such as Zhul to capture Fengs playerbase, then so be it, that's up to Feng.


I agree with this. Game developers must do what they see best for their game. If they choose to ignore the player base and loose players because of it then it is their fault. i personally love this game and i even love the fact that it is an Indie game. in my past experiences i have talked and most importantly PLAYED with the creators. I know Feng may not have time or may not feel comfortable doing this and i respect that he has the right to do it or not. however when there is literally a Forum that he can use to see what the players want and what can make his game better. as it stands this game has already succeeded to an extent. we already have a ton of players coming and playing the game whether they are part of the forums or not. What Feng needs to concentrate on is keeping his current fan base, because people with an interest will always come. there is no shortage of SNK lovers out there. I mean shit we have players from all over the world playing together and making guilds together. because of that I think that the community doesn't see the game as a beta any more. I personally see that it still has some beta level issues, but the popularity of the game has exceeded a beta stage. I mean shit we have already had a twitch stream tourney! (Empath graciously hosted). I can also say without a doubt that everyone here on the forums is here because they love the game and want to see it become greater. there isnt a doubt that we support Feng and thank him for all the work he has put in and will put in. Ultimately this is an opinion from part of the fan base, but in the end Feng will make the decision. that's why i think this thread should still be left open but I would kindly ask that posts from now on would be viewed as strictly opinionated. We are one team and shouldn't show any malice towards each other.
HallowedSaber
 

 

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby Empath » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:11 am

@Pixis
When you say you have concrete details, it's important to include them when you mention you have them. Likewise, if you ever claim that you have photo evidence of something, it is prudent to include said photos when you make the claim you have them. That being said, I agree, I should have said why it was completely false.

It's completely false because the moment this latest mod came into the eye of the public I had a long talk with Accelevi about it at the end of which I was given the green light. When you say you "have evidence", don't show it, and then I have evidence demonstrating you to be 100% wrong, it makes you look like you're just trying to stir the pot. I don't know if you are or not, but there's a word to the wise.

I'm also not against convincing him that he should open up to mods, but every month since this games inception people have been trying to get him to allow mods. He eventually said enough was enough and stopped responding to emails about it, because he has said time and time again that he has no interest in it. I still believe in 'fighting the good fight' for modding capabilities, but the way this community is going about it is akin to bashing your head into a wall over and over again. If Feng sees this mod increase his revenue, and if it doesn't become a security liability, I'm sure he'll think more candidly about the communities countless past desires to allow modding.
Empath
 

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby Pixis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:13 am

TataBlitz wrote:
Empath wrote:I am going to address this as cleanly as possible. Your post is romanticizing this issue to an insane degree. There is also a fair amount of misinformation, so I will clear everything up until a mod either deletes or locks this.

1.) As far as I know, only Terramort has been banned for breaking the forums rules and posting links to the mod.
2.) Only one guild has been 'disbanded', and that guild was only created by Terramort to try and curry favor with members by offering them the mod if they joined.
3.) A large part of the community is not split in two, there is no schism at all.
4.) The current method of modding cannot give us new maps or a 'countless supply of additional features'. Feng would either have to fully release the unity project file or create modding tools for the public to use.
5.) There is no bandwidth or ram benefit from using the .exe over the browser.

1. I know others have been banned for mentioning the offline version. Like me, they can't actually come make a post about. However, unlike them, I'm not going to let people walk all over me.
2. The guild was NOT about curring favor by handing out the mod. I had posted the link to the mod in the main page, as well as in the general discussion. I was in the process of attempting to appease Accelevi by removing links and telling guild members that only hosts would have access to the mod. However, I was banned partway through, allowing Accelevi to make it look like I was trying to hand out mods in order join my guild. All you have to is read the first few paragraphs to realize I want team players, not a fat guild.
3. The schism seems pretty apparent to me. Well, it's more like a schism between the moderators and players.
4. As previously mentioned - the source code is not necessary to add new maps or other additions. Regardless, the mod has given a few things players have been asking for for MONTHS, mainly:
Removed TPS view limits (you can look straight up/down)
Gives Titan HP and regeneration
Fixed Annie's too-small hitboxes
You can double max Titan size
Dedicated servers that will restart even if host is alive (so you can let people play even when you leave)
Adds host commands, such as /restart, /kick, etc. etc.
Other small changes here and there, all optional, of course.
5. There may not be a bandwidth benefit from using the .exe, but you modify the RAM being used, as well as using external boosters (Such as Razer's) to make your game playable on older computers.

I also have one more point to make. Attack on Titan, and all related content, is owned exclusively by Funimation studios. The only reason Feng gets away with making this, is because it's free. For Accelevi, or anyone else, to tell players the HAVE to play online so Feng gets the ad money is pretty hypocritical, especially if mods aren't allowed.

*disclaimer: I have only relayed this message from Terramort, and do not agree or disagree with any of the above statements unless I post otherwise


Thank you for delivering us his opinion on the matter. You may want to highlight that disclaimer, though. XD

Empath wrote:@Pixis
When you say you have concrete details, it's important to include them when you mention you have them. Likewise, if you ever claim that you have photo evidence of something, it is prudent to include said photos when you make the claim you have them. That being said, I agree, I should have said why it was completely false.

It's completely false because the moment this latest mod came into the eye of the public I had a long talk with Accelevi about it at the end of which I was given the green light. When you say you "have evidence", don't show it, and then I have evidence demonstrating you to be 100% wrong, it makes you look like you're just trying to stir the pot. I don't know if you are or not, but there's a word to the wise.

I'm also not against convincing him that he should open up to mods, but every month since this games inception people have been trying to get him to allow mods. He eventually said enough was enough and stopped responding to emails about it, because he has said time and time again that he has no interest in it. I still believe in 'fighting the good fight' for modding capabilities, but the way this community is going about it is akin to bashing your head into a wall over and over again. If Feng sees this mod increase his revenue, and if it doesn't become a security liability, I'm sure he'll think more candidly about the communities countless past desires to allow modding.


Well, first off, I came into this matter without any hostility. If the pot's being stirred, it's not from my end.

Also, While it's comforting that Accel had this private conversation with you and gave you the green for your modded server, this has not been spelled out to the community in the slightest. If YOU were personally given the freedom to do it, then so should everybody else, it's only fair. If others are going to be banned from this forum for distributing the work, then should you not receive similar punishment for not only supporting it, but running it? I understand that you had reasons for distributing it and I'm not requesting your punishment, but I think that if "big guilds" are able to do it, then so should everybody else. That's the very definition of a staff bias, and should not be allowed.

As for concrete details, I do not have photo evidence of my testing, as it was done months ago and I didn't see this situation arising. I will provide the results, assuming the thread isn't locked, in the near future.
Last edited by Pixis on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pixis
 

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby Constipation » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:19 am

Pixis wrote:Also, I see a lot of contradictions in this. If you're so supportive of feng's game and want it to succeed, why would you take a stance against our convincing him that the community is in danger on the situation? You may be right, this may be a dictatorship. I, for one, don't want to see this game hit rock bottom. I want it to rise above any competition that may arise, and I think that bringing situations like this to feng's desk is the most valuable thing we can do for him as a community. Rather than arguing against what's being said here, you should be helping to support this, if you truly think modding is a good thing and want to see this game do well.

I hope you realize feng does not read these forums. He is not very good at english as he has said and it would most likely be very time consuming and unrewarding to read this. He gets his feedback from the chinese community (who may relay some important things happening here)
Constipation
 

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby Pixis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:29 am

Constipation wrote:
Pixis wrote:Also, I see a lot of contradictions in this. If you're so supportive of feng's game and want it to succeed, why would you take a stance against our convincing him that the community is in danger on the situation? You may be right, this may be a dictatorship. I, for one, don't want to see this game hit rock bottom. I want it to rise above any competition that may arise, and I think that bringing situations like this to feng's desk is the most valuable thing we can do for him as a community. Rather than arguing against what's being said here, you should be helping to support this, if you truly think modding is a good thing and want to see this game do well.

I hope you realize feng does not read these forums. He is not very good at english as he has said and it would most likely be very time consuming and unrewarding to read this. He gets his feedback from the chinese community (who may relay some important things happening here)


Unfortunately, I do realize this, and it makes me sad. I think this community has a lot of positive things to offer feng's game, and they often go overshadowed for the reason you listed above. I think this helps support my point about mods being like physical renditions of our opinions on where the game should go. It's hard to cipher through thousands of posts in a language that you're not very familiar with for good ideas, but if it's in a physical manifestation, there's no denying it. My hope in making this thread is more to convince the staff that the point needs to be brought to feng, with a strong list of reasons why he should support it. The first step is to prevent situations like the one that happened not long ago, so that the modding community here has a chance to get on its feet.
Pixis
 

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby bope » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:36 am

Pixis wrote:If YOU were personally given the freedom to do it, then so should everybody else, it's only fair. If others are going to be banned from this forum for distributing the work, then should you not receive similar punishment for not only supporting it, but running it?

oh hey, this guy fine tuned his car and added custom parts to the engine and shit without help from the manufacture, I have 0 knowledge in engineering or motors but it's not fair I should be able to do that in a manufactures garage even though my manufacture does not support it at all.
bope
 

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby Titan Slayer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 am

I support monitored modding but sometimes I just want to play a regular lobby. I would want a tab or something that would separate modded lobbies and regular lobbies. Also have something in the game that would detect modded lobbies and automatically sort them. If players ever start using mods in a regular lobby they will be kicked. I'm not familiar with mods but I hope you can just toggle them on and off so it would be simple to join a regular lobby if you have them. I would also have a symbol or something on your HUD in singleplayer that shows if you have mods on so no one can cheat in competitive stuff like the scoreboards.
Last edited by Titan Slayer on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titan Slayer
 

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby Arise7 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:54 am

Regardless of how all of you feel, Feng made the game and therefore is his intellectual property. If he doesn't want people modding his game, don't mod it. It's very simple really.
Arise7
 

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby merp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:57 am

bope wrote:
Pixis wrote:If YOU were personally given the freedom to do it, then so should everybody else, it's only fair. If others are going to be banned from this forum for distributing the work, then should you not receive similar punishment for not only supporting it, but running it?

oh hey, this guy fine tuned his car and added custom parts to the engine and shit without help from the manufacture, I have 0 knowledge in engineering or motors but it's not fair I should be able to do that in a manufactures garage even though my manufacture does not support it at all.

because something expensive can be compared to a free game on the internet.
i support modding 100%, and the mod's reasons for being against it are ridiculous. pretty much the only reason i've seen is that feng won't get a few extra cents from the ads if someone decides to play offline. if feng had an offline download, he could make so much more money by putting a download with ads.
mods are also inevitable, there will always be mods as long as the game exists.
merp
 

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby Arise7 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:04 am

There is a huge amount of misinformation in this post, Foxen you have an hour to actually accurately address this issue or I will be locked this thread.
Arise7
 

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

cron