The Stifled Modding Community

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Re: The Stifled Modding Community

Postby Skirazi » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 am

All I can say about the title is it's not really stifled if it doesn't exist yet... :lol:

As for all this~ I suggest people Respect Feng's Decisions with his game; even if you feel the game would be much better, or it'd get far more people coming in to play, or he'd get more money from download ads. It's alright to argue about it on the forums, and hopefully convince Feng to release an offline/moddable version (which I support), but when people have already created servers with Lava Floors and whatnot, and Feng still believes that it would be best for his game if it was left up to him and Jiang to do their own thing, then I feel that people are spitting on Feng.

I understand a lot of people have been wanting to play with certain modifications for a while now, such as the TPS viewlock removed, etc. but until Feng says "Yes," we can't have all these servers popping up with mods to his game.

Also, quoting Arise because I accidentally pushed him to the previous page >.<
Arise7 wrote:There is a huge amount of misinformation in this post, Foxen you have an hour to actually accurately address this issue or I will be locked this thread.
Last edited by Skirazi on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skirazi

Postby Sylvy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 am

Arise7 wrote:Regardless of how all of you feel, Feng made the game and therefore is his intellectual property. If he doesn't want people modding his game, don't mod it. It's very simple really.

Even though I support the mods to the game. I agree with this. Feng made it, it's fengs. But we don't even know his official opinions on this. If we get an official statement from feng, it will clear everything up.

Right now, all we've got going is Accel says this, Empath says this, Pixis says this.... Which is all fine and dandy, but they're NOT feng. I'm not trying to start anything, but it's the truth. I get that Feng doesn't get on the forums very much, but as of right now, that's exactly what we need. How about we stop with all the arguing and just wait , that's really all we can do >.>

I am definitely not in favor of Terramort's ban. A warning and a deletion of his guild topic should have sufficed. He's been loyal to this game for a long time! It is not fair for him to be treated that way because of one mistake. He would have agreed to delete all of it if he were given the chance. Banning him was a mistake.

I realize what he did was against the rules, but even so, everyone went crazy about the mods lately. The excitement lead to the forgetfulness of some of the rules. This situation could have been handled differently.
Sylvy

Postby Ghosthunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:10 am

Sylvy wrote: I am definitely not in favor of Terramort's ban. A warning and a deletion of his guild topic should have sufficed. He's been loyal to this game for a long time! It is not fair for him to be treated that way because of one mistake. He would have agreed to delete all of it if he were given the chance. Banning him was a mistake.

Terramort had his moments.And he got off the hook many times while even the mods were disciplined,he wasn't .He wasn't just banned on a whim,we all discussed it.And if it were me i would have been even harsher.
Ghosthunter

Postby Constipation » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 am

merp wrote:
bope wrote:
Pixis wrote:If YOU were personally given the freedom to do it, then so should everybody else, it's only fair. If others are going to be banned from this forum for distributing the work, then should you not receive similar punishment for not only supporting it, but running it?

oh hey, this guy fine tuned his car and added custom parts to the engine and shit without help from the manufacture, I have 0 knowledge in engineering or motors but it's not fair I should be able to do that in a manufactures garage even though my manufacture does not support it at all.

because something expensive can be compared to a free game on the internet.
i support modding 100%, and the mod's reasons for being against it are ridiculous. pretty much the only reason i've seen is that feng won't get a few extra cents from the ads if someone decides to play offline. if feng had an offline download, he could make so much more money by putting a download with ads.
mods are also inevitable, there will always be mods as long as the game exists.

You mean he will make so much more money from showing ads once every update (when someone needs to download the new exe) instead of once every time a guy opens the game? What?

Also mods are not inevitable, so far there have been only 2 guys modding the game and if the current one stops or keeps the mods private the mods are gone the next time feng updates.
Constipation

Postby Pixis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:13 am

Constipation wrote:You mean he will make so much more money from showing ads once every update (when someone needs to download the new exe) instead of once every time a guy opens the game? What?

Also mods are not inevitable, so far there have been only 2 guys modding the game and if the current one stops or keeps the mods private the mods are gone the next time feng updates.

I think you're misunderstanding. We're not saying that he should take down the online ads and only have download ads, we're saying he should use both. Not to mention, per click download ads bring in more revenue than per-view ads.

Arise7 wrote:There is a huge amount of misinformation in this post, Foxen you have an hour to actually accurately address this issue or I will be locked this thread.

Foxen didn't make the post, I did. I'd be happy to address the issue, as long as you define exactly what this "misinformation" is.
Pixis

Postby Arise7 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:20 am

1. Terramort/his guild are the only ones who have been banned for distributing modded clients. Which of course they should be since Feng never released the code.

2. No, a one time download profit would not even come close to the amount he makes from ads every time someone visits his site. Not to mention other people hosting his game on their sites without his permission or authorization.

3. Modding games create an extreme problem for multiplayer not support it. This can easily be seen on heavily modded games like Civilization 4/5. If someone contains a modded client they cannot play with other unless they have the other exact version. And this happens on games that aren't even patched. Imagine the results on a game that is updated about twice a month.

4. There is a reason that almost no developers with the exception of few implement modded stuff into official content. Because usually the new content is extremely inefficiently coded and can lead to larger problems with the games. This is probably one of the primary reasons Feng has decided not to release his code.

5. You take an extremely one sided stance on the issue. Despite saying your going to list pros and cons all you did was create a giant list of why you think modding would be a good idea without actually taking a full view of the issue.
Arise7

Postby darkboy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:21 am

No one said anything about Pixis saying he'd show pros and Cons.
Even though he didn't talk about any cons.

Can someone update me on what happened the past couple days? I have no idea about what mods have been created Terramount.
darkboy

Postby Pixis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:35 am

Arise7 wrote:1. Terramort/his guild are the only ones who have been banned for distributing modded clients. Which of course they should be since Feng never released the code.

2. No, a one time download profit would not even come close to the amount he makes from ads every time someone visits his site. Not to mention other people hosting his game on their sites without his permission or authorization.

3. Modding games create an extreme problem for multiplayer not support it. This can easily be seen on heavily modded games like Civilization 4/5. If someone contains a modded client they cannot play with other unless they have the other exact version. And this happens on games that aren't even patched. Imagine the results on a game that is updated about twice a month.

4. There is a reason that almost no developers with the exception of few implement modded stuff into official content. Because usually the new content is extremely inefficiently coded and can lead to larger problems with the games. This is probably one of the primary reasons Feng has decided not to release his code.

1. I believe I covered this in another post but I can add it to the original if you want. There have been other who have been banned/threatened for doing so, and while terramort's guild may be the only one that currently is banned for the issue, any other guild leaders caught using/distributing it would be banned, according to this post-

"As of currently (whenever you are reading this), mods are currently completely prohibited throughout the forums. First infraction will be a three month ban across account and IP range. Second infraction will be permanent across account/IP range/e-mail.
If you pester people or the staff for the mods, we will give you a one day ban the first time around, and then continually longer bans if you continue to do so. The modded server names are most certainly trolls, and I am not handing out access to the mods nor Feng's Gold Account." '

Of course, from what I understand, a few select individuals (ie leaders of large guilds) are able to bypass this rule.

2. I also mentioned this in another post. I'm not saying he should remove the per-view ads. I'm saying he should utilize both. Perdownload ads bring a significant amount more in per view than the basic ads he's using now do. I know this because I made revenue off it for 2 years from my website. As far as somebody hosting his game on their site, there's absolutely NOTHING that can prevent that from happening anyway. He doesn't have any sort of rights over the game, as he doesn't own the title. If somebody really wanted to, they could host it on their site as well.

3. I fail to see how this is worthy of my thread being locked, as it's just an opinion and not "misinformation". There's countless examples of successful games that have supported mods, and plenty of ways to prevent modded clients from joining an unmodded server. In addition to that, if the mods were supported, the issues of having connection problems could be easily addressed by the same community presenting the mod.

4. Whether he implements features or not is up to him, and whether the code is efficient enough is up to the developer. If the code is inefficient, the mod generally wouldn't work. However, the mainframe still exists for the ideas. Even if he didn't directly take the code from the mods, he could be inspired by what they contain to code it himself. As for the preexisting mods, there's PLENTY of examples of inefficient code in the actual game, that was even fixed in the mod.

5. You're completely right on that, I am incredibly one-sided on the issue. Honestly, I can hardly think of a single con that couldn't be easily avoided by the developer. In reality, the harms that exist for supporting this already exist in not supporting it, such as bad download links and the ones such as the multiplayer connection issues are easily fixable by adding mod support. The reason I made this post was to get those opinions, though. I will happily update the post as points are made to the contrary.

All that being said, what do I need to alter to keep my thread from being shut down? Just the word "guilds"?
Last edited by Pixis on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pixis

Postby Pixis » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 am

darkboy wrote:No one said anything about Pixis saying he'd show pros and Cons.
Even though he didn't talk about any cons.

Can someone update me on what happened the past couple days? I have no idea about what mods have been created Terramount.

Fair point. I didn't create a cons list. I shall do so now using the ones mentioned here. If you have any to add to the list, please let me know.

***updated the post to include a list of cons for the modded version. Since nobody's really touched on offline versions up until now, I've yet to add them there.
Pixis

Postby Constipation » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:46 am

There's a difference between using and DISTRIBUTING the mod. Have you seen empath distribute it to people on the forum?

some fag wrote:pls join my guild I will give you link to mod
Constipation

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion