Feng's Question - Character Balance

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Feng's Question - Character Balance

Postby Terramort » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:10 am

So, Feng has posted a question regarded character balance on FaceBook, here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SnKGame ... 944566880/

To help reduce the mess and keep everything organized, I though it might be a good idea to open a thread here so the FB page doesn't become a giant clutter as ideas and mechanics debates are tossed around. So, without further ado, here is Feng's question:

Hi,there, I would like to adjust the characters's balance, i know some people keep saying 'nerf jean' all the time,haha. so I'd like to do a little research just to know your thoughts,

i'd need a list like this:
Name SPD/BLA/GAS/WT
MIKASA 100/100/100/100(these data aren't accurate,just an example)
LEVI 100/100/100/70
JEAN 90/120/200/100
ARMIN 70/150/120/90
.....and other characters's data ....

(SPD = ground speed only
BLA = blade durability
GAS = you know what
WT = weight, the lighter the faster
)

thanks and good night!
Terramort

Re: Feng's Question - Character Balance

Postby Terramort » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 am

Rather that clutter the FB page myself, I've decided to move my opinion here. I double-posted to keep it from appearing as though my opinion were somehow better for being in the original post. :)

Mikasa : 125 speed (has high physical strength)/75 blade (strikes hard)/75 gas (uses gas faster than average)/85 weight (is proven to be fast)

Levi : 85 speed (has short legs)/100 blade (strikes hard, but accurate)/100 gas (is fast, but conservative)/75 weight (is fastest)

Armin : 75 speed (short and weak)/125 blade (doesn't strike as hard)/125 gas (uses gas smartly)/125 weight (is slowest in the air)

Marco: 110 speed (long legs)/100 blade (average strikes)/110 gas (listens to Jean's advice)/90 weight (is skilled, chosen as captain of recruits)

Jean: 100 speed (average)/80 blade (to balance blade length)/150 gas (slight nerf to current consumption/100 weight (average speed)

Eren: 100 speed (average speed)/90 blade (less accurate strikes)/90 gas (reckless gas consumption)/100 weight (Titan hatred)

Petra: 80 speed (short legs)/100 blade (average)/110 gas (light, doesn't use much gas)/85 weight (is very light and fast)

Sasha: 90 speed (slightly below average)/100 blade (average)/100 gas (average)/90 weight (is fairly light and good with 3DMG)

Personally, I would implement either
a.) A Rage System, wherby characters can accumulate rage by watching comrades die, killing Titans, and using 3DMG. Rage, when full (hidden mechanic) will allow a grabbed character to escape.

b.) Allowing Titan fingers to be attacked, to free teamates, prevent incoming attacks with enough skill + luck, and disable grabs for ~10 seconds from cut hand.

This would help balance Jean and Eren with other characters, and add a little more depth to the game. Also, reduce blade durability across the board (50% normal, 25% hard) to encourage blade replacing, and have cutting Titan fingers use up significant blade durability (25%).
Terramort

Postby Khally » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:19 am

I'm gonna post a poll in an outside website tomorrow which should work well with this, so sum everything up.
Khally

Postby Levvuny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:40 am

Great ideas Terramont! ^_^

They all make since, though if titan fingers come we need harder titans with it. (Also, accel is going to rage about that I guess.)
Levvuny

Postby Accelevi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:02 am

*flips table*
First of all, long legs doesn't auto mean fast running.
Healthiness still comes into it.
For example, someone like idk, Mikasa would outclass someone like Marco, because she's more fit.

And 100ish blade strikes? I hope that's just like a ratio, because 100 = indestructible blades.
If anything, Levi would have like 40, and the others like 25-30ish.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Soul » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:15 am

Levi is all around the fastest in the series. He should remain so in game.

The rage mechanic feels a bit cheap, and usually when characters get mad and rage at a friend's loss, they end up getting killed at the very least it would have to make them harder to control for balance.

Love the fingers Idea, that has happened in the series If I recall properly.Where someone was saved when they were grabbed by someone cutting the titan's hand
Soul

Postby Accelevi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:20 am

Fingers idea is a lolno.
Rage system is pretty faulty and just bad.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Soul » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:23 am

Makoto wrote:Fingers idea is a lolno.

Why is it a lolno? It would be a good thing and is totally feasible. Fingers could have a very small area to hit to save them.
Soul

Postby Levvuny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:29 am

Makoto never gives a good reason for some reason Pride/Soul.
Levvuny

Postby Terramort » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:29 am

Makoto wrote:*flips table*
First of all, long legs doesn't auto mean fast running.
Healthiness still comes into it.
For example, someone like idk, Mikasa would outclass someone like Marco, because she's more fit.

And 100ish blade strikes? I hope that's just like a ratio, because 100 = indestructible blades.
If anything, Levi would have like 40, and the others like 25-30ish.

The "speed" category refers to a characters ground speed. The "weight" category is for 3DMG speed. As far as averages go, yes, long legs mean a faster running speed. Mikasa may have a faster sprint, but Marco would have a faster, long-distance running speed, which is what the characters are using. Maybe characters can have different gas boost speeds based on their sprint ability, giving Mikasa lightning fast midair dodges, like she used on the Female Titan?

And yes, the blade damages are based on a curve. 100 = 25 strikes or so (should be halved on Hard, or add Realistic mode).

Soul wrote:Levi is all around the fastest in the series. He should remain so in game.

The rage mechanic feels a bit cheap, and usually when characters get mad and rage at a friend's loss, they end up getting killed at the very least it would have to make them harder to control for balance.

Love the fingers Idea, that has happened in the series If I recall properly.Where someone was saved when they were grabbed by someone cutting the titan's hand

Makoto wrote:Fingers idea is a lolno.

Only one or the other should be added. "Rage" system I'm not particularly in favor of, as it cheapens the game, but at the same time, a lot of people like mechanics like that, and lowers the skill floor, making it easier for newer players to do "cool stuff" in the game. Finger slicing would be the preferred method - it's accurate to the show, has good risk vs. reward (too weak a strike/miss = perfect spot to get grabbed), carries a cost (25% blade damage, destroys blades without cutting fingers if attempted at less that 25% blade health), yet has many benefits (disable incoming attacks, be a badass and cut a hand right as it closes around you, free an ally) and isn't based around a random modifier or quick time event.
Terramort

Next

Return to General Discussion