Similar Mechanics, Different Game

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Similar Mechanics, Different Game

Postby Terramort » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 am

While I do love slaying Titans with my 3DMG, I can't help but sometimes want to play a similar game to AoT, that's not AoT, if you know what I mean. I've been thinking more and more - wouldn't it be fun to fight something else besides Titans? Like, maybe, a game where you play, oh, I don't know, as one of the Talking Mice from Narnia, who use stolen Telmarin technology to create a mouse equivalent of 3DMG to fight the Telmarins and their god, Tosh. Or something like that - different story, different game, different enemies, just same genre (the spiderman genre, as I'm going to call it, since it was out well before AoT).

I've been tossing around a few ideas, and would like to possibly get into game developing. Based on your experiences playing AoTTG, does anyone have any ideas they think would be cool, or mechanics differences that would make a nice touch?
Terramort

Re: Similar Mechanics, Different Game

Postby Levvuny » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:14 am

I really like the idea of the talking mice(Probably because Narnia was like the first book I read).... Don't have any ideas, but cool idea.
Levvuny

Postby Final Divide » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:25 am

So same game(different weakpoints), different textures? Sounds like a nice idea but we all know Feng won't do that.
Final Divide

Postby FailureofHumanity » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:29 am

It would allow for a lot of creativity though. He could make whatever characters he wants with whatever enemies :D
FailureofHumanity

Postby Nine » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:40 am

I feel like a game like this that remains independent, rather than riding on the success of an anime, would be a more stable investment as well. The game wouldn't lose as much popularity as AoTTG might when Attack on Titan ends.
Nine

Postby Terramort » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Final Divide wrote:So same game(different weakpoints), different textures? Sounds like a nice idea but we all know Feng won't do that.

I don't want the same game at all - I want an entirely different game, that might even have different focal points. I think a slightly slower-paced game built more around the gear itself would be much more fun to play. "Getting good" with 3DMG in Feng's game is simply a matter of memorizing a preset pattern to kill Titans, and not much true skill is involved. I would much rather play a game where each hook placement matters; I have to be careful to get myself hooked onto a Titan's face in a field because fall damage; the enemies use attacks that (if you are paying attention) you have time to see coming and dodge, instead of spammed AoE attacks; the terrain is an important factor, you can't just kill the enemy by hooking it's weak point, you actually have to use surrounding terrain.

Mechanics-wise, I think these would be the highlighted differences:

- Hooks can be seen retracting. New hooks can't be shot until the hold hook is entirely retracted (To make hook placement important and prevent spider-walking with the gear)

- You can release a large amount of gas to boost yourself in-air. Combined with attacking, this will allow 6 different possible spin attacks

- Hitting the ground/walls too hard will kill your character. Successfully using a upward boost-dodge as you reach the ground will prevent all fall damage.

- The enemies have HP for their various parts. Blade durability is an HP value - 1 point of damage to an enemy does 1 point of damage to the blade.

- More focus on the parkour aspect - there should be stairs, better controls for flipping off walls, sideways wall running, and other Mirror's Edge-type moves.

- Reeling doesn't vector you, but instead just drastically increases the reel-power of the cable, and can be used regardless of position, but still needs gas (like it should)

- Reeling out doesn't require gas and can be done from any position.

- Blades can be reloaded in air, but landing/getting hit before finishing will cause the fresh blades to be lost, as well as your old ones, so is a risk vs. reward.
Terramort

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:32 pm

This could be a really good idea if mods were allowed.
Annie Leonhardt

Postby Terramort » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Annie Leonhardt wrote:This could be a really good idea if mods were allowed.

Of course mods would be allowed! As a heavy user of mods for a variety of games myself, I would love to see other people's creativity.
Terramort

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Feng will eventually stop updating the game, so there have to be mods.
Annie Leonhardt

Postby Z.E.D » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Phantasy star online 2 with 3DMG , I win :)
Z.E.D

Next

Return to General Discussion