Similar Mechanics, Different Game

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Re: Similar Mechanics, Different Game

Postby Terramort » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:43 am

Ok, I've been knocking around ideas for a while, and I think I have some basics ironed out: Jupiter's Descent

Set near the end of the Second Punic War, Jupiter's Descent is a game focused around Roman mythology and legends. Set on the island if Sicily in an alternate timeline where Archimedes was spared the Roman sword (210 BC), the world is quickly succumbing to the forces of chaos. Giant, rampaging Cyclops have been rising from the water to terrorize the island of Sicily.

Under Archimedes' guidance, the Roman soldiers have found a way to fight back against the Cyclops - steam-powered grapple systems allow soldiers to cut out the eye of a Cyclops, exposing a radiant heartstone within. Striking this heartstone with a silver-imbued blade with enough force will shatter it, killing the Cyclops.

I want to add other, different elemental Titans as well. The Cyclops is the "basic" Titan, in terms of easiest to kill, and most obvious kill point (gouge out the eye to expose it's heatstone). Earth Titans would generally be larger, but slower, than other Titans, and have their heartstone on the back of the neck. Water Titans can be grappled through (always ghost hook), can be moved through, but have powerful inward suction and can drown you. Water Titans have a heartstone in the upper left part of the chest cavity. Fire Titans will kill you if you touch their skin or are too close for too long, and have the heartsone on their forehead.

Bosses would also be really cool - the Roman Pantheon. Saturn (father of Jupiter) could be a Titan that dwarfs even the Colossus - a Titan so big that it feels like you are climbing a mountain using your steam grapples. There could also be many smaller enemies, near your size (or a bit larger) that can be attacked with your swords AND steam grapples. Imagine climbing up the leg of Saturn, as griffins fly around trying to stop you. You shoot a grapple through a griffin, pull toward the ground with your other grapple, then smash him into Saturn's leg (enemies suffer fall/crash damage too, of course).

Of course, there is a reason the Gods have attacked humanity. Septimius Severus, the Roman Emperor, had recently decreed Prometheus the official God of Rome, in return for the gift of fire when humanity was young, and to help enflame the war with Carthage. Now, Prometheus has appeared on the island of Sicily and given manking another gift - the gift of magic. Magic is not very powerful, however, and basically servers to help keep characters unique. Examples of possible unlockable magics: Air Pressure Manipulation (increases acceleration + top speed) Stone Pillar (use a stone pillar to leap much farther off the ground than usual) Fireball (shoot fire into a non-fire Titan's eye to blind/kill a small enemy) and things of that nature. Maybe have some end-of-the-tree powerful magics, like weather clearing or blink that can make fighting the final bosses easier.

Roman architecture would be amazing to use steam grapples on, with their big statues and pillars. Eventually, the story would move toward Rome, featuring impressive walls, the Colosseum, and other amazing locations. Think this is something worth pursuing, or anyone have ideas?
Terramort

Postby Final Divide » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:36 am

I would personally love to see a version where hitting an enemy, actually hurts them, so I feel like im doing something.
Final Divide

Postby Skirazi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:00 am

Terramort, that game needs less backstory and to be published as an indie game. I would pay $60 for something as bad-ass as that, but without the 3DMG rip-off. It would be like God of War mixed with awesome AoT badassery. Wow.
Skirazi

Postby Accelevi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:16 am

At first I thought it was an actual game, and then I was disappointed. lol

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Terramort » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:17 am

Skirazi wrote:Terramort, that game needs less backstory and to be published as an indie game. I would pay $60 for something as bad-ass as that, but without the 3DMG rip-off. It would be like God of War mixed with awesome AoT badassery. Wow.

That's the idea. Although, I'm a rather large fan of story - and since it's a game, it'd be the perfect platform to tell a story.
Terramort

Postby Tozzer » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:22 pm

I have found two games utilising the occulus rift with grapple mechanics. They are 'Coz' and 'Windlands'. Both look incredibly satisfying and seem a great base to create a first person SNK game from.

Coz - http://www.namelesssyntheticlifeforms.com/?p=54

Windlands - http://guardiansofthewind.com
Tozzer

Postby Accelevi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 pm

I wish I had an OR. :T

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Colopty » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Too bad the current design is far blockier than the concept design. At the moment the Oculus Rift looks a bit awkward.
Oh well, always stuff to improve I suppose. I'm sure later versions will look better.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Colopty
Forum Luminary

Formerly: Cephalopod god

Postby Tozzer » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Colopty wrote:Too bad the current design is far blockier than the concept design. At the moment the Oculus Rift looks a bit awkward.
Oh well, always stuff to improve I suppose. I'm sure later versions will look better.

Sony have just announced their own VR headset which should preview at some point this year, The concept art looks wicked!
Tozzer

Postby Accelevi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:59 pm

What, the one that makes a person look like Robocop?

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion