Armin the Surprisingly OP Character?

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Re: Armin the Surprisingly OP Character?

Postby RancorSnp » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm

@Noodler - Why would you ruin gameplay for other players just because there are dudes who dislike one character?

The point of having large range of characters is for them to be good for different players. For me Armin is one of the best if not the best character. If all of them feel alike, or are of the same strength the odd ones would not be able to enjoy the game. While "normal" players can still have fun using 6 out of 8 characters.

Why would I ruin gameplay to keep the game lore friendly? Because this actually adds to the game for me. Marco and Armin's specials ARE useless against crawlers and Bosses, yeah that is true. But you see, not everyone want's the game to be easy.

Don't know if you ever heard of the Don't starve. But the character Wes, who is extremely hard to unlock, and has only debuffs (low health, sanity, hunger, useless perks [One of them being has problems surviving]) is exactly the same for me. It's for those who want more challenge from the game.

What's more, my specialty is tactics, not skills in the game, while they are not that useful in Attack on Titan - it is of great importance in Mount & Blade ( in which my clan is current world champion right now) - I am being praised for achieving that, and respected greatly by players far more skilled than I am. Even though I was almost always worst person in a team, and to be honest it was like playing 9 v 10 my clan mates still think they won thanks to me and my tactics. - Considering that, playing Armin feels natural for me, being the brains among more skilled players.

So yeah, leave the only 2 characters created for odd players be, you still have great majority of characters to have fun with them.

P.S
And he can kill titan with a kick. This is very important.
P.S.S
If you still don't see it weird enough, I think I should add I do not use gas at all. It makes it too easy to maneuver around titans. Using gas, you can without any problem kill 15 meter class on a plain field. Without it, having buildings or trees around him are completely necessary to clear bigger titans. - Not for the little ones, as you can just climb their backs without wires and slash their napes anyways.
RancorSnp

Postby Noodler » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:08 pm

So if you want to play Armin but don't want a disadvantage, you're just fucked?
There are roughly 47 times better solutions.
Noodler

Postby RancorSnp » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Still better than not being able to be on disadvantage at all. But if there are so much better solutions than logical an intuitive system of picking character known to be weaker to have harder game play (Dragon Ball Tenkaichi Budokai (3) for eg.), why don't you just discuss them with me, rather than just stating : they are.

And what's more ou have to keep in mind that depending on your game style his disadvantage is an advantage. I can bet I wouldn't be able to kill even half the titans on the map using Levi or Jean who are supposed to be great characters. (I mean, if I just sat right now and someone forced me to play them instead of Armin.)
RancorSnp

Postby Noodler » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Make an option to make it weaker as you wish (decrease stats by choice).
Noodler

Postby Tiddlyfisher » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:07 pm

RancorSnp wrote:I am the bestest, look at all of my humble brags.

Alright, look.

It is painfully obvious you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to how to make a game difficult properly.

You mentioned Wes, an unlockable character. This means that after having done something in the game, such as beating it or reaching a goal (meaning you know how to play the game well enough to do this thing) then you have this new thing to play with, giving the game more playability.

Armin isn't unlockable, you don't get him after getting good at the game. He is a starting character, and if someone tries him, and sees he sucks, they won't think "Hey this adds difficulty to the game", they will think "Wow he sucks, never playing him again."

Balancing Armin in comparison to the other characters will not make him just like the others. He will still be unique. He will just be more practical to play with.

If you want difficulty, go to hard. If you play on hard, go to abnormal. If you play on abnormal, wait for something more challenging.

A handicapped character in this game is pretty much completely pointless.

I'd also like to point out that none of the other specials in the game are particularly useful against bosses or crawlers, that point you made was irrelevant.
Tiddlyfisher

Postby RancorSnp » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:39 pm

@Noodler - Yes, that might have worked. But it would take away the intuitive part of the character selection. If I go to the server, just by the character he plays I can make an assumption on how will he play. It may not be very accurate, but still nothing will change Jean being a player using a lot of gas etc.
If every one may choose to be handicapped or not, you will never how if Levi is going to be fastest or slowest in team. Or is that Marco a team player, or a high score goer?

@Tiddlyfisher
Seen any unlockable characters in AoTTG?
Also you are making an invalid point here. If someone playes Armin for the first time, he doesn't even notice that he is worser than other characters. Took me a loot of game play to notice it (Well, there were only Mikasa and Levi back then, so not that much of comparison, but still.). On the "Wow he sucks, never playing him again" - That's the part Armin players love in him? The exact assets why you suppose he is bad character make it good for us.

Yes I am already playing hard, and I would play Abnormal if it wasn't so lore-breaking. 32 Abnormal titans in one place? Can't see it.

Handicapped character is good in EVERY game. There is no game in the whole world which wouldn't have players wanting to play handicapped characters.

Point of the specials usefulness on bosses (Levi, Mikasa) or crawlers (Petra) was actually brought up by Noodlers I just replied to it.

How the hell are we having this discussion in the thread "Armin, surprisingly OP character" - Go to your XX paged Armin sucks thread please, thank you.
RancorSnp

Re:

Postby Ghosthunter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:28 pm

Tiddlyfisher wrote:Eren has never killed a titan outside of his titan form, and yet no one is saying Eren is suddenly a weak character.

It takes an entire squad to take down a single titan in the series, can you really be surprised that he hasn't killed one?

I see someone didn't read the manga.
Manga
Not only did he kill a titan in his human form he did it solo.Also if Christa killed one (and possibly one off screen) i'm pretty sure that Armin could also do it.But the thing is that Armin is the brains of the legion so he's mostly focused on strategy.But to be honest i would at least give him some more speed.And his special is more than useless right now so he needs more range on it and at least double the stun time.

^ Don't worry the spoiler doesn't really spoil that much (no pics just text + my opinion about Armin).
Ghosthunter

Postby Doki » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:02 pm

Armin doesn't need to go faster, his speed is fine as it is, as many have stated already, especially since it makes him feel different from the other characters. What he does need is something that would make him not useless compared to Levi and Jean. The easiest way would be to give him Jean's gas, since he would now be an option for players who want to stay in the game for as long as possible, and as other people have already said, increase the range of his special, since right now you need to be dangerously close to a titan for it to work.
Doki

Postby Noodler » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:27 pm

Why does it really matter if your Levi is fast or slow?
Don't tell me you do something risky and intentionally get grabbed and think "my perfect calculations tell me that he's just fast enough to save me if his reaction time is 1.876"

If your Marco isn't using teamwork then so be it, even now nobody does that.
Noodler

Postby Accelevi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 am

Armin/Marco specials shouldn't work on crawlers, for bosses, to use, it should be extremely limited.
Armin uses more gas as he's slower, so it takes more to get to the same point.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion