Realism vs Gameplay Features

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Re: Realism vs Gameplay Features

Postby Weapioneer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:02 am

Doki wrote:I've always thought that the game was pretty inconsistent with the series in some aspects, such as the durability of the blades and gas, and also the behavior of the titans. I always thought a cool way to spice the game up would be to make gas and blades last less (or like you guys suggested, making damage scale with damage dealt), making you actually conserve gas instead of having it always on, and actually having to recharge your blades in battle during maps other than Annie. You could balance this a bit by making it possible to get a small refill from corpses of other players, or like some people suggested a character who can refill other characters, maybe Armin or a new character for that, such as Christa or Connie. As for titans, i think the main thing missing at the moment are more varied attacks (read:GRABS) to change the game a bit. I mean, imagine normal titans with Annie's sweet air grab, that would make for some surprise moments, and actually penalize you when you're stuck on a titan's armpit, which i find to happen quite often. Also, give the abnormal titans the 3-slap, there, the game is now 10x harder. :^)

I don't think every titan should have Annie's grab, since that is insanely powerful. Maybe a variation of the triple smash except flailing about in the air. Also, how on earth did you manage to get stuck in a titan's armpit? I occasionally get stuck under the chin if my angle is off when i reel, but otherwise, i didn't even thing the armpit was possible XD
Weapioneer

Postby Noodler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:04 am

They should have it, just not super quickly like Annie.
It's dumb that you can just fly about as slowly as you please, and they will start slamming the ground, or alternatively having sex with it.
Noodler

Postby Weapioneer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:09 am

Noodler wrote:Making people refill all the time wouldn't make the game fun :T

Not to mention that the resupply squad are a bunch of cowards. They would hang us up to dry out there!
Weapioneer

Postby Tiddlyfisher » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:56 am

@Noodler

Having to refill blades more often is better than not needing to refill them at all.

You have 5 blades total to start (1 loaded, 4 on backup). That's 125 hits total, 250 if you're playing as Levi. With the added fact that there is a 36% chance of not using any blade durability while using gas, there is no way you will ever possibly run out of blades before gas in the game. I'm not saying you need to refill blades all the time, but there should at least be equal demand for blades and gas.

Plus, reloading blades looks cool, and it'd be nice to see it happen more often.
Tiddlyfisher

Re:

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Tiddlyfisher wrote:
Annie Leonhardt wrote:If you strike harder, your hit will be more clean so you should take lesser damage to your blades.

Hard strike =/= clean strike.

A hard strike that digs deep into the nape isn't going to be very clean.

Even if you do get a clean cut, the friction and force against the blades will still make them dull faster.

"hard" isn't the perfect term. A fast and deep cut (less damage) is better than a slow and weak one (more damage)
Annie Leonhardt

Postby Doge » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:39 pm

Weapioneer wrote:Hello!
I made this thread to discuss and debate about the fine balance between realism and gameplay features. As you know, People die by the hoard in SnK. The more realistic the game gets, the higher skill a person would have to have to even survive 5 min and the steeper the skill curve rises. Making the game fun is about balancing realism and gameplay so the game is neither too easy nor too ridiculously hard. So, here are some features I thought about to debate this issue on.

blade damage depends on kill damage- this obviously would suck for gameplay since high damage becomes a handicap, and being good will make you need to resupply blades often.
fall damage- again, this would make many people die a lot more
smacking-into-the-wall damage- this would kill more people than titans T_T
crushed by dead titan's body- this is why people should perfect flybys just like in SnK
equal blade sizes- They don't get customized blades, so i don't understand why their blades are different sizes. personally, it hasn't made a difference to me, gameplay wise
titan ai boost- this is going to happen eventually, and will increase realism and death rates :D
solid wire physics and collision- this would make many maneuvers get reduced effect, or not even work outright
reloading blades on a wall- just being able to reload your blades when you are hanging on the side of a wall
g-forces- a high speed yo-yo reeling maneuver would create near lethal G force for most people. However, this addition would make it difficult, if not impossible, to achieve high damage.
randomized titan models- this is partly eye candy, but even in SnK, the titan classes are just an estimation of the size of the titans, rather than the fixed sizes that they appear in. this will mean that people would have to analyze a target before attacking.

Well, that is all i can think about for now. Please comment your thoughts about them, as well as any other realism-vs-gameplay ideas you have.
Thanks for reading,
Weapioneer

1. Titans are unusually light then what you think.
Why do they do perfect flybys?
They have solid wires, not tangible wires.
"G-Forces"
SNK : Throw logic out of the window.
2. Randomized Titan Models - Takes too much work, that'll take nearly a month or 2 - 3 months
"Titan AI Boost"
No. Reason: Don't you think it's advanced enough!?
Reloading Blades on a wall:
Acceptable, but what about fall damage? It's not like they won't fall.
Fall Damage - Leather boots.
I don't like this; suggested already, makes gameplay not fun and make it more like of - "Hey! Let's run the application called AOTTG!" Gameplay = Game.
Realism = Real Life.
Doge

Postby Noodler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:41 pm

I wasn't talking about blades.
I just don't want to be running to the supply every single minute, that's seriously antifun.
Noodler

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:55 pm

They are light, a small one would just stop or stun you for a few seconds, but a bigger one would just kill you, even if it's not instantly.
Randomized Titan Modes - it doesn't take too much work, it's easier than making a character.
Like this:
Head:
Hair: style: a/b/c/d
Eyes
Mouth (since it's chibi it won't have a nose)

And the same with belly and arms/fingers lenght.
"Fall Damage - Leather boots" so what?
Even if realism is real life, realism + gameplay = you feel like you live what you play, not just a computer game.
Annie Leonhardt

Postby Weapioneer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:08 pm

Annie Leonhardt wrote:They are light, a small one would just stop or stun you for a few seconds, but a bigger one would just kill you, even if it's not instantly.
Randomized Titan Modes - it doesn't take too much work, it's easier than making a character.
Like this:
Head:
Hair: style: a/b/c/d
Eyes
Mouth (since it's chibi it won't have a nose)

And the same with belly and arms/fingers lenght.
"Fall Damage - Leather boots" so what?
Even if realism is real life, realism + gameplay = you feel like you live what you play, not just a computer game.

Well, i meant randomly scaled titans and randomly selected body parts, but i suppose that would lead to some strange visual glitches at times XD
Speaking of realism, is it possible that unity 3d games can be played using the oculus rift? obviously, they would need some work for it to happen, but is it a possibility? I would probably die happy if that was true, since then i can see myself soar through the air and get kicked into a wall in beautiful surround vision! :P
Weapioneer

Postby Doge » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:12 pm

What I was saying is instead of leather boots, I mean don't you see those belts everywhere on them?
They put all of the falling weight on all parts of the body.
Doge

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion