Killstealing and the KDR: Do they matter to you?

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Re: Killstealing and the KDR: Do they matter to you?

Postby Nanai » Thu May 29, 2014 3:58 pm

I've never had a problem with getting my kills "stolen" so to say because it would either be against someone who I can keep up with and can make back those kills. Or it's with an absolute elite player that I know is out of my league and in that case I leave the game because they probably don't need me.

As for when I'm playing with "struggling" players, depending on how they play for the first few waves, I'll let them kill the titan they "mark". Titans are that easy to kill that they are bound to either kill it eventually, or die trying in which case I will take the kill then. Besides, I get more satisfaction from saving them from a grab fatality then just swooping in for a kill which I can do anytime.

All in all, I don't think "kill stealing" is a matter of right or wrong, but rather a matter of courtesy. No-ones obliged to follow, but if you do allow newbies to take their own kill, they'll probably appreciate it.
Nanai

Postby Accelevi » Thu May 29, 2014 7:35 pm

It's impractical courtesy, in most case.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Noodler » Thu May 29, 2014 11:15 pm

Well, my goal personally isn't to reach wave 21 instantly.
I try to avoid sneaking in and "stealing" a titan sometimes, it doesn't really matter to me if we reach wave 21 a minute later.
Noodler

Postby Ikaros » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:02 am

As someone who is often called a pro due to my ability to kill titans quickly and consistently, i think that kill/death ratio's are probably the first step in determining the other players' skill levels. where as I can maintain a 20:1 k/d, someone who is doing 3:1 is obviously not as good. so in that context, yes, they are pretty important. however, i don't stress myself out if i let my k/d slip to about 10:1, it's not something i'm really bothered by. if i play more casually, then of course i'll probably die more.

As for kill stealing, i think that if someone can be on a titan's nape, yet i can still fly halfway across the forest and kill that titan, then i deserve the kill more than they do. if they were faster, then they would have the kill. some people think that this isn't the way to go, as before the higher rounds (8+) i'm pretty much getting 85% of the kills, but after that they don't seem to complain, as i'm pretty much halving the difficulty for them.

Another way i look at kill stealing is that if someone is having trouble with a titan (especially with the new influx of new players from the public servers coming back), then they are most likely going to be killed, as 70% of my deaths as a new player were from moving around on titans.

If someone steals my kills, then i see it as a challenge, and proceed to take a few of their kills, which adds a bit of competition to the game, and is actually quite fun. some of my most enjoyable moments were competing with people with the same skill level as me.
Ikaros

Postby Kami-Sama » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Ikaros wrote:As someone who is often called a pro due to my ability to kill titans quickly and consistently, i think that kill/death ratio's are probably the first step in determining the other players' skill levels. where as I can maintain a 20:1 k/d, someone who is doing 3:1 is obviously not as good. so in that context, yes, they are pretty important. however, i don't stress myself out if i let my k/d slip to about 10:1, it's not something i'm really bothered by. if i play more casually, then of course i'll probably die more.

As for kill stealing, i think that if someone can be on a titan's nape, yet i can still fly halfway across the forest and kill that titan, then i deserve the kill more than they do. if they were faster, then they would have the kill. some people think that this isn't the way to go, as before the higher rounds (8+) i'm pretty much getting 85% of the kills, but after that they don't seem to complain, as i'm pretty much halving the difficulty for them.

Another way i look at kill stealing is that if someone is having trouble with a titan (especially with the new influx of new players from the public servers coming back), then they are most likely going to be killed, as 70% of my deaths as a new player were from moving around on titans.

If someone steals my kills, then i see it as a challenge, and proceed to take a few of their kills, which adds a bit of competition to the game, and is actually quite fun. some of my most enjoyable moments were competing with people with the same skill level as me.

Wait what? There is no such thing as killstealing because no one owns a titan. And no matter what skill level you have you don't deserve a kill more than anyone else... just play the game and if people complain you don't have to say your better than them so you deserve it more. What if someone did that to you?
Kami-Sama

Postby Skirazi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:22 pm

The only reason I killsteal is because whenever I have faith in others' abilities, and leave them with the Titan, they die on me. I don't like people dying. So I kill the Titan before they die. In the end, I choose to believe in myself because then I won't have regrets for believing in others.

It's a different story when other people steal my kills though, I'd like to shove a blade through their hearts~
Skirazi

Postby MJRmasqu3rade » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Skirazi wrote:The only reason I killsteal is because whenever I have faith in others' abilities, and leave them with the Titan, they die on me. I don't like people dying. So I kill the Titan before they die. In the end, I choose to believe in myself because then I won't have regrets for believing in others.

It's a different story when other people steal my kills though, I'd like to shove a blade through their hearts~

Can't tell if referencing Levi or not... :lol:
MJRmasqu3rade

Postby Skirazi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:31 am

Glad you picked it up :P Except for the last bit, that was just me joking around. The only time I really get pissed in-game is when someone's so incompetent that they can save me when I'm grabbed, but then I remember my own incompetency and the number of times I've failed to save someone 'cause I derped hardcore... T_T
Skirazi

Postby MJRmasqu3rade » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:38 am

Yeah, I'm really terrible at saving people from grabs, I work terrible under pressure :lol: it's usually "DON'T WORRY, I GOT YOU *crashes into Titans head accidentally*". Anyways, this is beginning to go quite off topic :P
MJRmasqu3rade

Postby crystalolololol » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:13 pm

Killstealing? It kind of does matter to me. I wouldn't say it's bad. I mean I do it if the people I put my trust in are dangling around the titan's head, shoulder, or back and constantly missing. If it happens to me, I won't lie, I get a little pissed. But I quickly calm down because in the end they're technically doing me a favor. I can recall many times where killstealing has actually saved me. But then again, it serves as a self-reminder of how unskilled I am. I'm decent to say at the most, but people can still steal from me. So killstealing, in the end, I don't think it should be an issue in the first place. Period, point, blank.

This is a multiplayer co-op game. GET OVER IT, please and thank you.

~~~
A little warning, but I might end up talking a bunch of nonsense right here.
KDR? Matters to me a lot. I believe it mainly measures 2 out of 3 criteria of a player's skill.

1. 3DMG Efficieny- How well you can move using the 3DMG.
2. Maneuver Execution- How well you can preform a maneuver. (i.e. an Equator Cut or Sparrow Strike)
3. Strategy/Survival- Taking into consideration the titan's behavior and its environment and determining how to kill it. (This one is a bit difficult to explain) Technically, it's when you analyze your targeted titan. Taking size (8 meter, 12 meter, etc. I don't know what sizes exactly, I'm just making shit up) and type (titan, aberrant, jumper, crawler) and seeing what to do in order to kill it.

I think KDR usually measures 3DMG efficiency and strategy/survival. 3DMG is what allows players to go on offense or take away to defense. In this case, the number of deaths to kills represents survival and how you use strategy in order to slowly take down the hordes of titans. The ability to escape death (like getting grabbed, eaten, stomped, slapped, etc.) is by moving away fast enough through dodging or hooking on to something else (building, tree, etc). Then there are also the variables of the positions of the player and titan. And the amount of space available around the titan that acts as a control to your survival. Then there are also times when titans crowd around, making kills much more riskier. Agh, I'm getting ahead of myself. But in a nutshell:

The better your KDR is (more kills than deaths) the more skilled you are in these 2 areas.

The damage (like max damage and total damage) is the measurement of maneuver execution This also has a part in KDR. The more skilled you are in preforming let's say an Equator Cut, more than likely, the more easier it is to go from titan to titan and continuously killing each one (because this goes hand-in-hand with 3DMG efficieny. The only reason I don't really count this aspect is because I see a lot of people with great KDRs but not the best damage marks. They're more than likely survival players (which I happen to be). This is a reference to Sylvy's post.
Spoiler:
Survival players:
-They're mostly focused on survival.
-When playing in a group, they're more focused on teamwork and working together.
-They're more focused on getting to wave 21.
-They're more focused on safety.
-They tend to be the more consistent players, regarding KDR.
-I'd say a great survival player can at least solo Forest 2, hard, to wave 15, no time limit.

But like all theories, I'm pretty sure mine has a couple of holes in it. I'll just leave it as this.
crystalolololol

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion