Legitimate Damage Techniques

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Legitimate Damage Techniques

Postby Lisbeth » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:35 pm

Pardon me if there's already a topic on this, though I did search and didn't find one.

My friends and I were having a discussion about legitimate damage earlier.
(Seriously though, don't point out names, this is a discussion, not an argument)

What constitutes legit damage?

I've heard that Yoyo's are not considered legitimate damage, however, Spiral Air Equator's are?
How do does one not count when both are using the same concept of repeated acceleration while hooked to a titan?

Comparison:

Setup:
-Yoyo setup consists of multiple reel in's and reel out's while hooked to the nape, however, reel out is not necessary. Can be started w/o any momentum.
-Spiral Air Equator setup consists of multiple reel in's while hooked to the chin/neck. Must be started with at least enough momentum to rotate around the titan.
•Yoyo seems to be the easier one in terms of setup.

Attack:
-Yoyo uses an Overdrive and can only be attempted once.
-Spiral Air Equator uses a normal slash but can be attempted multiple times.
•Spiral Air Equator has multiple tries compared to a single attempt, so Spiral is easier in terms of landing a hit.

Ease of Use:
-Yoyo is dependent on luck and timing, and attempting a Yoyo and failing to hit means having to rebuild all the momentum.
-Spiral Air Equator is also dependent on luck and timing, and failing to hit can be overlooked IF the player is not thrown out of balance and allowed another attempt.
•Spiral Equator has less of a chance of failing than Yoyo in one attempt, so this goes to Spiral Air Equator.

Public View:
-Yoyo is severely downplayed for it's supposed lack of skill as reel out is considered "broken", despite reel out not being necessary.
-Spiral Air Equator receives a lot less criticism, despite the multiple rotations and time spent hooked to the titan.
•Spiral Air Equator seems to be more tolerated as compared to Yoyo.

Other Points:
-Both Yoyo and Spiral Air Equator can be done in less than one rotation, Yoyo becoming Spiral/Proxima (Thank you Xedma!) and Spiral Air Equator becoming an Air Equator.
-The player can choose whether to do multiple spins or not.

My own viewpoint is that any hits that used more than one rotation around a titan is not legitimate damage. (So reel out is fine with me)
Another viewpoint I've come across is that any hits that used reel out is not legitimate damage.
I've also come across some people who say Spiral Air Equator is okay, but Yoyo is not, even though they are conceptually both the same thing in terms of damage building.

What do you think?
Should you build speed before hooking to a titan,
Or is building speed while attached to a titan okay?

-

My damage hit stats are:

Without Spinning:
-Without Reel Out: 2.6k Proxima
-With Reel Out: 2.7k Spiral

With Spinning:
-Without Reel Out: 3.1k Spiral Air Equator
-With Reel Out: 3.4k Yoyo
Last edited by Lisbeth on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisbeth

Re: Legitimate Damage Techniques

Postby Noodler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Did air equator spiral really deserve a name? I mean, spiral and air equator spiral both share 99% of the same movement.
Noodler

Postby Sylvy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Noodler wrote:Did air equator spiral really deserve a name? I mean, spiral and air equator spiral both share 99% of the same movement.

They're not the same thing? Now I'm confused.

*puts in vote for spirals to be called Vortex's* It's more fitting, no? XD

Anyways. Other than damage mods and taking advantage of bugs, I think all techniques are "legit". I think it's more about how much the technique impresses people.

People that can't yoyo of course wouldn't know about the intricacies of the technique, which is a reason I think it's downplayed. That+ it's not very fun to watch.

Well... I guess both are boring to watch. It's a personal preference which is more attractive. But it seems like spirals have the upperhand in that regard XD
Last edited by Sylvy on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvy

Postby Noodler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Sylvy wrote:
Noodler wrote:Did air equator spiral really deserve a name? I mean, spiral and air equator spiral both share 99% of the same movement.

They're not the same thing? Now I'm confused.

*puts in vote for spirals to be called Vortex's*

Well, if it is then I don't really see why we had to rename it to something less fitting.
Noodler

Postby Sylvy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:00 pm

I think they're the same thing. The way she describes it.... seems like they're the same thing lol *shrugs*
Sylvy

Postby TheGreatJedi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Xedma wrote:This is pseudo-yoyoing. It's how people are getting high damages "without yoyo"
(they are yoyoing but they think they aren't)

Spiral AE is a good name for it.

lol it was already mentioned by Xedma that it is ok
Xedma as the inventor of Spiral Strike says its actually Pseudo-yoyoing
but it doesn't use the smooth scroll which is very useful for Nailing Massive damage without putting much effort

Still i think its legitimate since you need to be faster or fast enough to execute this it only increases the damage (Depends on your hook placement cuz this technique is verified on how perfectly your hooked is place and the angle of rotation)
TheGreatJedi

Postby xRivailution » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm

The only ''legit'' kills are pretty much AE's and Trads.
xRivailution

Postby Noodler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:05 pm

xRivailution wrote:The only ''legit'' kills are pretty much AE's and Trads.

Hydra? Correctional cut? Umbra?
Noodler

Postby Shin Ramen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:47 pm

What the hell is a non-legit kill lol
Shin Ramen

Postby Accelevi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:10 pm

What the hell is the point of this thread

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi