Legitimate Damage Techniques

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Re: Legitimate Damage Techniques

Postby Lisbeth » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Accelevi wrote:What the hell is the point of this thread

To discuss max damage ;u; and pretty much just put in opinions and ask around.
The point? It doesn't contribute to the game if that's what you are asking,
I just thought people would like to discuss it. In General Discussion.
.-.
Lisbeth

Postby Noodler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:42 pm

TheGreatJedi wrote:
Xedma wrote:This is pseudo-yoyoing. It's how people are getting high damages "without yoyo"
(they are yoyoing but they think they aren't)

Spiral AE is a good name for it.

lol it was already mentioned by Xedma that it is ok
Xedma as the inventor of Spiral Strike says its actually Pseudo-yoyoing
but it doesn't use the smooth scroll which is very useful for Nailing Massive damage without putting much effort

Still i think its legitimate since you need to be faster or fast enough to execute this it only increases the damage (Depends on your hook placement cuz this technique is verified on how perfectly your hooked is place and the angle of rotation)

But it's an unnecessary namechange really. It doesn't have anything to do with air equator, except it approaches from the front. There are definitely other names that make more sense, if it really needs a random name change. (and before some chap calls me a hypocrite because of hydra strike, holding half year old things against me doesn't really help anyone)

And as for the statement that it's "yoyoing", just no. The thing about yoyo is you don't need your reflexes very much at all compared to anything else. Whether you do an air spiral or trad cut, it still requires you to fly around for quite long which is the hardest part of getting damage. Just because you get a few extra secs to aim the actual reelin, it doesn't mean you have the slightest chance of landing it. Not only is it difficult to land the perfect hook when going really fast, but you can hardly utilize multireeling because of the trees, which makes it hard to land the hits past 3k.

Yes, I'm confident it's the best non-yoyo technique as far as realistic gameplay goes, but it's not remotely as broken as yoyo.
Noodler

Postby Lisbeth » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:46 am

Noodler wrote:
TheGreatJedi wrote:
Xedma wrote:This is pseudo-yoyoing. It's how people are getting high damages "without yoyo"
(they are yoyoing but they think they aren't)

Spiral AE is a good name for it.

lol it was already mentioned by Xedma that it is ok
Xedma as the inventor of Spiral Strike says its actually Pseudo-yoyoing
but it doesn't use the smooth scroll which is very useful for Nailing Massive damage without putting much effort

Still i think its legitimate since you need to be faster or fast enough to execute this it only increases the damage (Depends on your hook placement cuz this technique is verified on how perfectly your hooked is place and the angle of rotation)

But it's an unnecessary namechange really. It doesn't have anything to do with air equator, except it approaches from the front. There are definitely other names that make more sense, if it really needs a random name change. (and before some chap calls me a hypocrite because of hydra strike, holding half year old things against me doesn't really help anyone)

And as for the statement that it's "yoyoing", just no. The thing about yoyo is you don't need your reflexes very much at all compared to anything else. Whether you do an air spiral or trad cut, it still requires you to fly around for quite long which is the hardest part of getting damage. Just because you get a few extra secs to aim the actual reelin, it doesn't mean you have the slightest chance of landing it. Not only is it difficult to land the perfect hook when going really fast, but you can hardly utilize multireeling because of the trees, which makes it hard to land the hits past 3k.

Yes, I'm confident it's the best non-yoyo technique as far as realistic gameplay goes, but it's not remotely as broken as yoyo.

Okay, say one would use the Yoyo technique in a similar fashion to Spiral AE, i.e. building up a substantial amount of speed around 2.5k and hooking the nape in the same manner of aim and precision as Spiral AE to hook the chin. The remaining yoyo being the effective push to add 500 to hit a 3k. In you opinion, would using a yoyo in that way be really much different than Spiral AE?

And yes, I agree that open feild yoyo's starting from low velocity and staying hooked to a titan for a prolonged period of time is heavily broken.

tl;dr
Like, a freeform or combat yoyo, so to speak, used within/between the trees going at high speed prior to hooking the titan.

Lisbeth

Postby Array » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:01 am

To me, "legitimate" damage techniques are ones that don't require excessive setup. Now I'm extremely bending the definition of the word excessive here to mean slightly excessive, just a bit too much. Normal setup would be not having to fly around a nape multiple times (Yo-yo and Spiral AE from what I've seen, and other techs that literally just fly around for 5-10+ seconds to gain speed for damage) A normal setup would be something that can be integrated into smooth gameplay and have finesse and flow. I'd throw AE into this category, but there are exceptions to an AE (like for everything else..) A "legitimate" AE would be you happen to fly across the map and find a titan, kill it, and have nice damage semi-unintentionally. (You don't need to fly completely across the damn map, just fly, find a titan, and then kill it) An "illegitimate" AE would be one where you position a titan at one end of the map and constantly try to fly across the map and score a nice 3k on it. Now, I would describe just about every technique similar to an AE that way. Well, to add on to this as sort of a disclaimer, this is my OPINION. It cannot be wrong or right, but I feel that it is correct because I CAME UP WITH IT. Of course you will likely have a different opinion, especially if you've dedicated lots of time to kills that I've explained to be "illegitimate" (IN MY OPINION). I've also found that lots of people tend to disagree with this opinion .-. So yeah ^-^
Array

Postby Noodler » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:13 am

2.5k=/=0
Of course it's not very impressive if you start at 2k, and spam reels until you magically get 3k, but not all spirals are like this. You can do 3k by just doing 1 spin, or slightly less than a full one, which makes it pretty legit to me.
Noodler

Postby Lisbeth » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:12 pm

Noodler wrote:2.5k=/=0
Of course it's not very impressive if you start at 2k, and spam reels until you magically get 3k, but not all spirals are like this. You can do 3k by just doing 1 spin, or slightly less than a full one, which makes it pretty legit to me.

Of course, I would count that too :b lol.
Lisbeth

Postby Lisbeth » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Array wrote:To me, "legitimate" damage techniques are ones that don't require excessive setup. Now I'm extremely bending the definition of the word excessive here to mean slightly excessive, just a bit too much. Normal setup would be not having to fly around a nape multiple times (Yo-yo and Spiral AE from what I've seen, and other techs that literally just fly around for 5-10+ seconds to gain speed for damage) A normal setup would be something that can be integrated into smooth gameplay and have finesse and flow. I'd throw AE into this category, but there are exceptions to an AE (like for everything else..) A "legitimate" AE would be you happen to fly across the map and find a titan, kill it, and have nice damage semi-unintentionally. (You don't need to fly completely across the damn map, just fly, find a titan, and then kill it) An "illegitimate" AE would be one where you position a titan at one end of the map and constantly try to fly across the map and score a nice 3k on it. Now, I would describe just about every technique similar to an AE that way. Well, to add on to this as sort of a disclaimer, this is my OPINION. It cannot be wrong or right, but I feel that it is correct because I CAME UP WITH IT. Of course you will likely have a different opinion, especially if you've dedicated lots of time to kills that I've explained to be "illegitimate" (IN MY OPINION). I've also found that lots of people tend to disagree with this opinion .-. So yeah ^-^

That's a pretty good definition. I would like to point out that different techniques need certain opportunities present to be able to use. Like, depending on what direction the titan is facing and who it has agro on, I know lots of people who fly around waiting for that opportunity and it just happens to build speed at the same time. Many players would rather add another 5-10 seconds of setup and get the titan to face them to use a hydra or AE rather than attempt one at a difficult angle. The damage just comes with the added setup of positioning.

Like for me, I play amazingly in public servers compared I solo because I use Overdrive techniques and I prefer titans facing sidewards being able to 2k around multiple trees and in tight spaces. So for me, I fly around at about 1.5-2.5k speed until I find a distracted titan and get a high damage, fast kill. It only takes me about an extra second to get behind a titan if it does have agro on me.
Lisbeth

Postby Array » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:17 pm

Lisbeth wrote:That's a pretty good definition. I would like to point out that different techniques need certain opportunities present to be able to use. Like, depending on what direction the titan is facing and who it has agro on, I know lots of people who fly around waiting for that opportunity and it just happens to build speed at the same time. Many players would rather add another 5-10 seconds of setup and get the titan to face them to use a hydra or AE rather than attempt one at a difficult angle. The damage just comes with the added setup of positioning.

Hadn't considered this. Extending your flight for a better hit all depends on the type of player you are, and I completely appreciate the fact that you might want to do that. This topic is very complicated because there are many different circumstances scattered throughout the game modes, and so many different reasons for doing things that are unconventional, because this game is dynamic, not static. (not in all ways, though)
Noodler wrote:2.5k=/=0
Hadn't considered this, either lol. I'd consider that legit as long as you can leave the dead titan properly.
Array

Postby Lisbeth » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Array wrote:Hadn't considered this, either lol. I'd consider that legit as long as you can leave the dead titan properly.

Well, I wouldn't really consider the cleanliness of a cut as part of the legitimacy of the damage of a technique. It depends on the user if the technique is carried out in a manner that allows for a clean getaway. Like, you can get a single strike AE for 3k and get stuck in the nape if the titan is of adequate size, it doesn't change the fact you actually killed it.

Array wrote:Extending your flight for a better hit all depends on the type of player you are, and I completely appreciate the fact that you might want to do that. This topic is very complicated because there are many different circumstances scattered throughout the game modes, and so many different reasons for doing things that are unconventional, because this game is dynamic, not static. (not in all ways, though)

Dynamic gameplay I agree xD Personally I like to use combat yoyos when given the opportunity. The setup is exactly the same as a Spiral AE, and aiming for the nape is just as difficult as aiming at the chin when going at 2.5k speeds. In fact, I would say Spiral AE's are easier than Combat Yoyo's given that in Forest, Spiral AE's mainly take place within the center, the clearing, or the outer region for space, wile Combat Yoyo's can be used anywhere but the player has to manually control the distance of the reel in and out and the rotation to avoid trees, as compared to spamming reel and attack.
Lisbeth

Postby Innti » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 am

For legit damage, any damage is legit damage. I'll let you onto a little secret, the best way to get the highest damage without a mod is by going...really....really fast. The reason why yoyoing isn't impressive (and why that some don't consider it "legit" damage)is because you don't have to swing in and out of obstacles to get that damage. Meaning someone with basic skill can get really REALLLY high damage without anything else impressive about them, if they resort to using yoyos they should just go all the way with being lazy and just use a damage mod. With yoyo it negates needing to be skilled at maneuvering (other then how xedma uses it to own annie....he is manuevering between trees because is scroll out his amped).
Innti

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion