Suggestions for the forum

( ・・)σ Make sure you stay up to date on these. You CAN reply to threads here.
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: Suggestions for the forum

Postby Senpai » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:28 am

can the introductions/leaving thread be moved to the newbie section?

Just to make it easier to find, they still have to get their 5 posts or whatever to post there.
Senpai

Postby Accelevi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:32 am

Individual threads can't be permission separated.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Xupicor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Any reason why there's only a single "Suggestions for the forum" thread instead of a forum dedicated to it? It'd at least be cleaner... Isn't that the point of threaded discussions?

Also, is there a reason for existence of Game Suggestions topic in Newbie Area? Is it there just to let people spam their way to the X post limit and at least make it look like they did it in a semi-productive way? 'Cause there's already a whole section dedicated to that on the boards.

Also, Add/Accelevi - you didn't answer my questions about the limit at all in the closed topic, and I urged you in our PMs to open it to discussion, which you did not while dodging these questions. This deserves a topic on it's own, but I really feel on this board like I'm all of a sudden in a bad North Korea/1984 themed cartoon... Sigh.

So, about the post limit, to beat that particular dog again... I ask you, why is it there in the first place?

And since I have to emulate threaded discussions in a single topic (hint, hint) - why are you, Add, deleting posts posts without noticing users about it? Or at least, why did you do it with my post. If it wasn't you - I apologize, but then that's who the question is aimed at.
Xupicor

Postby Terramort » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Xupicor wrote:Any reason why there's only a single "Suggestions for the forum" thread instead of a forum dedicated to it? It'd at least be cleaner... Isn't that the point of threaded discussions?

Also, is there a reason for existence of Game Suggestions topic in Newbie Area? Is it there just to let people spam their way to the X post limit and at least make it look like they did it in a semi-productive way? 'Cause there's already a whole section dedicated to that on the boards.

Also, Add/Accelevi - you didn't answer my questions about the limit at all in the closed topic, and I urged you in our PMs to open it to discussion, which you did not while dodging these questions. This deserves a topic on it's own, but I really feel on this board like I'm all of a sudden in a bad North Korea/1984 themed cartoon... Sigh.

So, about the post limit, to beat that particular dog again... I ask you, why is it there in the first place?

And since I have to emulate threaded discussions in a single topic (hint, hint) - why are you, Add, deleting posts posts without noticing users about it? Or at least, why did you do it with my post. If it wasn't you - I apologize, but then that's who the question is aimed at.

You are beating a dead dog, man. Accelevi has seen many messaged from users who have friends who would like to use the forums/tourneys/guilds, but frankly don't want to climb through the "I was here first, so you have to lick my boots to even talk to me" bull. I've argued against the new user limit since it was first implemented.

For the forum suggestions, that's not a bad idea. Although, a single thread really isn't too bad - other than the newbie post discussion limit, almost nothing is suggested in this thread (hint, hint...)

As for the deleting posts, Accelevi really doesn't like it when people post opinions differing from his own. Even though it's a forum. For discussion. About different opinions.

Not that any of it even matters in the end, anyway, since Feng doesn't even visit his own forums, so... I've just kinda given up on trying to make the place a better community or argue with the mods, and just kinda go with the flow.
Terramort

Postby Khally » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:10 pm

I'll try to address what I can from your post.

Xupicor wrote:Any reason why there's only a single "Suggestions for the forum" thread instead of a forum dedicated to it? It'd at least be cleaner... Isn't that the point of threaded discussions?

In the context of having a section for newcomers, threaded discussions would lose some of its purpose when it comes to spam control. It's a LOT easier to keep track of just four threads, in which we can clearly identify rule-breakers.

Xupicor wrote:Also, is there a reason for existence of Game Suggestions topic in Newbie Area? Is it there just to let people spam their way to the X post limit and at least make it look like they did it in a semi-productive way? 'Cause there's already a whole section dedicated to that on the boards.

It contradicts your previous point to some degree. While threaded discussions would make everything messier, that doesn't mean we should only limit people to one thread only. Isn't it best to separate general topics, at least? :)

Xupicor wrote:So, about the post limit, to beat that particular dog again... I ask you, why is it there in the first place?

I was not involved in this decision (I wasn't even here at the time). My objective opinion of this is simple. The method is old fashioned, but it was well implemented when it had to. At this point, it might become obsolete, once there is more staff and people start using the Report button. This is a very contested topic which I'm sure will keep being revisited and I'm fairly certain it will eventually disappear. Look on the bright side, it keeps TONS of repeated threads from being created.

Xupicor wrote:And since I have to emulate threaded discussions in a single topic (hint, hint) - why are you, Add, deleting posts posts without noticing users about it? Or at least, why did you do it with my post. If it wasn't you - I apologize, but then that's who the question is aimed at.

I cannot say why he deleted your post, obviously. But the amount of spam deleted is quite large at times and letting every single user know might be somewhat troublesome. Especially since it's fairly obvious why it was deleted - unlike Terramort is claiming, contrary opinions are not deleted, "spam" is.

- Please bear in mind my words do not reflect Add's or the staff's opinion on any matter.
Khally

Postby Xupicor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Khally wrote:In the context of having a section for newcomers, threaded discussions would lose some of its purpose when it comes to spam control. It's a LOT easier to keep track of just four threads, in which we can clearly identify rule-breakers.
Would it? Is it? I'd think you can get a bit of repetition away as it's usually much easier to skim titles of topics than read an entire thread to see if what you're about to write wasn't already there. Like it's done in the actual Game Suggestions section, you know?

Khally wrote:It contradicts your previous point to some degree. While threaded discussions would make everything messier, that doesn't mean we should only limit people to one thread only. Isn't it best to separate general topics, at least? :)
Does it? Could you rephrase this, cause it's hard for me to understand what you mean here...
My point is - why is Game Suggestions thread in Newbie section needed at all if there is already a whole section dedicated just for that? People lump ideas in that thread in the Newbie section on top of each other, there's already 300 pages there - nobody in their right mind will read 300 pages of ideas to see if their own is not already there. Skimming through thread titles would be much easier though (if people used proper titles that is ;) )

Khally wrote:I was not involved in this decision (I wasn't even here at the time). My objective opinion of this is simple. The method is old fashioned, but it was well implemented when it had to. At this point, it might become obsolete, once there is more staff and people start using the Report button. This is a very contested topic which I'm sure will keep being revisited and I'm fairly certain it will eventually disappear. Look on the bright side, it keeps TONS of repeated threads from being created.
...and keeps some people away, because they don't feel like spamming their way to victory, er, "citizenship". It can keep some spammers away, sure, but it also sends "the more posts the better" message on an early stage - and those who want to spam either way will not be stopped no matter what. You sure as hell won't stop a troll that way (like there is any way to do that...). I don't feel like it makes overall quality of the board rise, rather opposite, may keep valuable people away. As for spambots there are other less frustration inducing ways to go about it.
Also - what exactly would be these repeated threads that aren't created about?

Khally wrote:I cannot say why he deleted your post, obviously. But the amount of spam deleted is quite large at times and letting every single user know might be somewhat troublesome. Especially since it's fairly obvious why it was deleted - unlike Terramort is claiming, contrary opinions are not deleted, "spam" is.
My post was in the topic that was created just to fix problems with the board not moving users between groups on reaching the post limit. Just so happens the limit was changed after I posted and I was again under the limit - my post was gone with no notice (it wasn't spam...) and that's just quite plain example how you don't go about doing things - unless you want to send a "I don't care about you, peasant user" message. "I was schooled, son". Message received. Sigh. ;)

Khally wrote:- Please bear in mind my words do not reflect Add's or the staff's opinion on any matter.

I'm not actually writing here just for accelevi or staff to respond, I could use PMs solely for that - having open and public discussions on a board is a healthy way to go about things. Even if it's yet another time, it just means that a given topic is controversial - you don't just shut discussions down because of that.
I'm the first to say there have to be people responsible for decisions and _vox populi vox dei_ sure is not the way to run a board, or, well, not the best one. But good communication not only among users, but between users and staff, and at least some understanding why things are how they are goes a long way.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Khally. ;)

Terramort wrote:As for the deleting posts, Accelevi really doesn't like it when people post opinions differing from his own. Even though it's a forum. For discussion. About different opinions.
Even if that is so, my post had no opinion in it he could disagree with, so I don't think this would be the case here.

Terramort wrote:but frankly don't want to climb through the "I was here first, so you have to lick my boots to even talk to me" bull.
Well I have to give him that one thing, he does talk to me. Forget the form, for a minute here. ;) And I may have shown him many things, but he'll probably admit that kindness was not among them. So it's not as morbid of a picture. ;)

I hate playing devil's advocate.
Xupicor

Postby Accelevi » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 pm

The amount of misinformation on this topic is astounding.
I didn't approve of Ghost's image either. :T

1. Search bar
2. > 10 posts
> much hard very tire wow
3. Please, do tell us the miracle cure. I've really tried everything I could think of. It either didn't work, or feng's not willing to input.
4. Since when do I shut something down just because of differing opinions? This is a forum. It broke the rules in some way.
5. The reason most of the threads are not duplicates is either they've been locked or deleted.
6. I checked the forum ACP again, and it shouldn't affect Newbie post "trigger set" number if you've joined AFTER I changed a setting.
So if A joins before I made it 5, they'd still be bound to 15. If B joined before I made it 10, but after I made it 5, then B is bound to five, etc. It shouldn't affect B to A's limit/etc/etc.
7. I will apologize if I didn't realize that when I was viewing it (no idea, time flies).
8. Terra, if you could, try not to spread it in a way that's convenient for you.
9. Sure, you can give up, doesn't mean it's not going to change.
10. Why does everyone think I'm some arrogant, kingly a**hole?
11. The Newbie Threads are like a miniature, scaled down pseudo version of the forums. You can use the post Titles as "Threads" of sorts, it's just like wading into the shallow waters before jumping into the big pool, and during those 10 posts, RUs/Mods/etc can reply, and help you learn stuff/etc.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Khally » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:38 pm

No problem, but you'd get better results if you'd lose the attitude. While I like talking about what can be improved, you are not contributing positively for a healthy discussion if you're using sarcasm and condescension. I wasn't anything other than polite to you and I'd appreciate the same courtesy.
Khally

Postby Innti » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:34 am

Didn't look through other posts but the view count is easily messed with. If I just back in and out of my server it will continue to rise in views. The view count should have a internet ip address hold and count views from unique internet IPs. and release the hold if something has changed in the post So if someone posts or edits their post It would reset the hold on my internet Ip address to let myself get another view.

Its so that through my excitement to reread through my awesomely written forum thread, I don't bump up the views and so I can look at the views and be like WOW FINALLY!!!!!!!! 10 PEOPLE HAVE READ WHAT I WROTE :D
Innti

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:20 am

How is this the forum suggestions?
Annie Leonhardt

PreviousNext

Return to Staff Announcements 2 - Where you can contribute!