Suggestions for the forum

( ・・)σ Make sure you stay up to date on these. You CAN reply to threads here.
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: Suggestions for the forum

Postby Titan Slayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:07 pm

I love this, Smile
Titan Slayer

Postby Linksbrawler » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Accelevi wrote:I made the post time limit 1 minute. I will change it to 3. Also, I'm using a questions security thing. I'll see what I can do.

Maybe instead of having a captcha, we could try something having a question that only a human would understand and recognize.

So like we could have a picture of a cat and ask what colour his fur is, or what is he playing with.
Of course, the question should be in the same image.

Idk if this suggestion will work since I have no idea how advanced bots are.
Linksbrawler

Postby Accelevi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Linksbrawler wrote:
Accelevi wrote:I made the post time limit 1 minute. I will change it to 3. Also, I'm using a questions security thing. I'll see what I can do.

Maybe instead of having a captcha, we could try something having a question that only a human would understand and recognize.

So like we could have a picture of a cat and ask what colour his fur is, or what is he playing with.

What I mean is I set questions instead of a captcha.
Human bots or googling can still get around it probably.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Linksbrawler » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Accelevi wrote:
Linksbrawler wrote:

What I mean is I set questions instead of a captcha.
Human bots or googling can still get around it probably.

Oh I see. I think this would give bots a harder time if the question is a part of an image instead of it being an html text(because these are easy to copy, paste, and recognize).

Edit: I also think that users with enough post count should have a smaller time-limit between post since it's already proven that they're not bots (otherwise they would of been banned)
Linksbrawler

Postby Accelevi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:39 pm

I cannot set an image itself for a security test.
I could post a link, but that would essentially make it a captcha to avoid text-in-image recognition, which again nullifies benefits.
Also, I can only turn the restriction for time entirely on or off. I cannot change it for specific usergroups. Most people shouldn't need to post more than once every three minutes anyway.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Blackhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Accelevi wrote:I cannot set an image itself for a security test.
I could post a link, but that would essentially make it a captcha to avoid text-in-image recognition, which again nullifies benefits.
Also, I can only turn the restriction for time entirely on or off. I cannot change it for specific usergroups. Most people shouldn't need to post more than once every three minutes anyway.

well i guess 3mins is a long amount why not just 1:30mins?
Blackhunter

Postby Linksbrawler » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Accelevi wrote:I cannot set an image itself for a security test.

Oh I see. Seems like there are unfortunate limits to bbphp. Can you add your own php script or something or is that restricted too?

And there are times when I do post a few times within a few minutes, like in forum games or when I just got on the computer and have lots to respond too. But if you cant change it, than I guess it's unfortunate... :/ Perhaps if your change with the anti-bot thing works, we can reduce the time.

And even now, I see the message.... time to wait for the time limit to be over....

Edit: I tested out the question and it appears we only have 1 question available. And for the question, I got the answer wrong when I spelled the first letter of the name with a capital letter. When I tried lower case, it worked. Maybe you should make it so it's not case sensitive?
Linksbrawler

Postby SoulHunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:19 am

I do not understand. I am seeing bots all around the forums that registered today and has 1-2 posts...

Something is ultimately weird here. I am personally supporting a proper recaptcha system to be added. It would solve all the problems just fine.

Btw just limiting the people so that they cannot put more than max 2-3 link in any post would solve this issue as well. I fail to understand how these bots can keep being an issue in this age. I did not know that bot programmers were that smart..

Even a basic "Read this text" "and type the code hidden in it"-ish security system or "a proper captcha" would as imo completely solve this issue already.
SoulHunter

Postby Suraru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:53 am

.... Seraph, check the PM I'm about to send you. And please don't judge me.
It's going to be a link to a certain forum, if you would I would like you to examine how that forum is run, make an account, etc etc.

Oh, and make sure kids aren't around, and don't judge me.
Do I even English sometimes?
"Points hurt, stay pointless!"

OH SHIT MAN! IT'S THE ADMIN!
Suraru
Forum Major

Formerly: Smitty

Postby Linksbrawler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:59 am

SoulHunter wrote:I do not understand. I am seeing bots all around the forums that registered today and has 1-2 posts...

Something is ultimately weird here. I am personally supporting a proper recaptcha system to be added. It would solve all the problems just fine.

Btw just limiting the people so that they cannot put more than max 2-3 link in any post would solve this issue as well. I fail to understand how these bots can keep being an issue in this age. I did not know that bot programmers were that smart..

Even a basic "Read this text" "and type the code hidden in it"-ish security system or "a proper captcha" would as imo completely solve this issue already.

All these bots were registered before the new question security system has been added. Each bot I reported, I mention that fact in the report so they're aware that they made the account before they changed the security system.

So far, I haven't seen a bot that has registered after the security change.

Also, if bbphp (or whatever this forum software is) allows you to write php scripts, than we could have multiple images that are randomly chosen each time someone goes to the registration page to ask security questions.

The script should also be simple to write
Last edited by Linksbrawler on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linksbrawler

PreviousNext

Return to Staff Announcements 2 - Where you can contribute!