Forum RP - Planning

( ・・)σ Make sure you stay up to date on these. You CAN reply to threads here.
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Forum RP - Planning

Postby Accelevi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:11 pm

Well, it has been decided to test out the successfulness - or failure - of a possible RP (roleplay section), it would justify a test RP.
This is the thread where you can submit your ideas.
We can then take the ideas and make one RP which will fall with as many interests as possible while not going off too much.
If a RP section came along, you would need to follow some rules.
Major one, the length of posts. It would have to be a decent sized length (At the very least, 1-2 paragraphs of 4-5 lines) per post. Small variations are fine, but it should be at least that size.
Miniature posts will not be tolerated.
Also, apps for RPs would need basic sections. Appearance, Personality, Battle Info (if applicable). Biography may be common. Otherwise, it is up to the discretion of the host of the RP.
An OOC (Out of Character) section would be made so people can plan RPs in the future if this is successful, and submit apps and such. Post count will be disabled here.
An IC (In Character) would be for the actual RP posts, i.e., the story itself. Post count will be enabled here.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Re: Forum RP - Planning

Postby Blackhunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm

oh!
Hello
...what the story ...?
edit:
why didn't you disable the post counting here ?
Last edited by Blackhunter on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhunter

Postby Suraru » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:17 pm

The concepts I have in mind are in the list below,

1. PreTrost based RP; mainly during the suicide run to take back Maria. Contains strategic values and a baseline story.
  2. Talons of Liberty RP; the stroy of the branch off of the survey corps. Mostly sandbox, other details to be set.
  3. Invention of the 3DMG; the first battles against titans with 3DMG, lots of swing and miss/discovery style story.

Also, for mechanics and rules to make it interesting and organized, I have a few ideas. It can be %100 player controlled, it can be like a text-based adventure game, or a mixture between. If we were doing 100% player conrolled, than it's colaboration storywriting, which puts a lot of trust in the RPer's writing skills. Posts should be long, but there can be confusion and conflicts in the story. For RPG style, it'd basically be like PnP style (dungeons and dragons) roleplayng, where the GM has values, players have stats, and most things are decided by a chance roll. Posts are small, and it takes a while to progress.

For the third option, we could do just a few stats/values or chance rolls that decide the outcome of complex actions, like killing titans or tricky manuevers, while doing most other things, like cheap shoting people in the butt, is just done by the players with their own self-defined failure rate. I'll probably make a character sheet to clearly define skills and weaknesses so people can do most things without GM involvement, that way stats are kept to a minimum.
Last edited by Suraru on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do I even English sometimes?
"Points hurt, stay pointless!"

OH SHIT MAN! IT'S THE ADMIN!
Suraru
Forum Major

Formerly: Smitty

Postby Accelevi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:23 pm

A stat-based RP is usually sort of weird and awkward, and it seems better to describe it, and just put the characters in makeshift tiers.
Also, it doesn't have to be a SNK RP.
It can be original if you want.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Blackhunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:27 pm

it's still a game
i guess you should disable post counting :/
Blackhunter

Postby Accelevi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm not disabling post count for it.
It's not a game.
It takes a lot of work.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Blackhunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:35 pm

hmm,that mean i may get a LOT from this thing
good :]
road to 1970
Blackhunter

Postby Suraru » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:38 pm

I fixed the post btw, I just had to put my phone down there for a bit xD

Anyways, I've done normal RPs, PnP RPs, and stuff inbetween, it really depends on what people are more comfortable with. I prefer slight stats because it keep the story organized, prevents creative conflicts, and prevent OP characters or mary sues. However, the more stats and mechanics, the less people can do per post, the slower the story progresses, and need for GM activity rises.

I was thinking a basic set of rules, a character sheet with strengths and weaknesses to prevent playes from being all rounded demigods. I like RPs where the characters can actually get killed, so they'd have to sit and think before their next action, but I also love RPs where people can make paragraph long posts and do most things by themselves. GMs shoul only post environmental reations when it's something complex or plot heavy, like killing a titan before it eats somebody vs properly taking a shit (I kid you not, one RP I was in made using the restroom and et cetera failable, so the GM had to post the successfulness of a basic task, and posts were almost never more than a single complete sentence).

Suraru
Forum Major

Postby Blackhunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:46 pm

yea not bad
but,just one think
i have a history of battles
well,enitsu too but i'm older than him ...so we know some secret things :]
Blackhunter

Postby Suraru » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Also, RPs aren't really a game, but you are playing a role, and you can fail and get killed, but the objective is to make a good story (and have fun), so I wouldn't consider most RPs a game unless they were competitive.

Suraru
Forum Major

Next

Return to Staff Announcements 2 - Where you can contribute!