Forum RP - Planning

( ・・)σ Make sure you stay up to date on these. You CAN reply to threads here.
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: Forum RP - Planning

Postby Terramort » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Well, it looks like we have enough people for at least a sample RP. Suraru, GhostHunter, and MysteriousPerson all seem to want to try, as well as me.
Terramort

Postby Blackhunter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:24 pm

and me + enitsu
Blackhunter

Postby Levi » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:27 pm

+ Levi
Levi

Postby Accelevi » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:46 pm

And I would take part in it.
Do you have any further planning for the RP though?
Plot, rules, nuances, etcetera?

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby TataBlitz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm willing to give it a try since I lurk here so much anyways because finding servers is a pain, my time on this website is pretty much 70% lurk 30% play
TataBlitz

Postby Suraru » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:23 am

Accelevi wrote:And I would take part in it.

I have a baseline plot, a bunch of ideas, and a few plans for rules, I just need to now know what rules people want. I don't think it should be 100% freeform, there should be a few rules put in place, like maybe some vague stats to let people follow a realistic role. Having a really small character do something that requires massive strength, while being insanely intelligent, accurate, agile, lucky, and willpowerful. People's characters need limits, and they need to understand them.
Do I even English sometimes?
"Points hurt, stay pointless!"

OH SHIT MAN! IT'S THE ADMIN!
Suraru
Forum Major

Formerly: Smitty

Postby MysteriousPerson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:28 am

Suraru wrote:
Accelevi wrote:And I would take part in it.

I have a baseline plot, a bunch of ideas, and a few plans for rules, I just need to now know what rules people want. I don't think it should be 100% freeform, there should be a few rules put in place, like maybe some vague stats to let people follow a realistic role. Having a really small character do something that requires massive strength, while being insanely intelligent, accurate, agile, lucky, and willpowerful. People's characters need limits, and they need to understand them.

maybe you can post whatever the rule you have, and let the others check it first ?
MysteriousPerson

Postby Suraru » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:41 am

I already have.

Suraru wrote:The concepts I have in mind are in the list below,

1. PreTrost based RP; mainly during the suicide run to take back Maria. Contains strategic values and a baseline story.
  2. Talons of Liberty RP; the stroy of the branch off of the survey corps. Mostly sandbox, other details to be set.
  3. Invention of the 3DMG; the first battles against titans with 3DMG, lots of swing and miss/discovery style story.

Also, for mechanics and rules to make it interesting and organized, I have a few ideas. It can be %100 player controlled, it can be like a text-based adventure game, or a mixture between. If we were doing 100% player conrolled, than it's colaboration storywriting, which puts a lot of trust in the RPer's writing skills. Posts should be long, but there can be confusion and conflicts in the story. For RPG style, it'd basically be like PnP style (dungeons and dragons) roleplayng, where the GM has values, players have stats, and most things are decided by a chance roll. Posts are small, and it takes a while to progress.

For the third option, we could do just a few stats/values or chance rolls that decide the outcome of complex actions, like killing titans or tricky manuevers, while doing most other things, like cheap shoting people in the butt, is just done by the players with their own self-defined failure rate. I'll probably make a character sheet to clearly define skills and weaknesses so people can do most things without GM involvement, that way stats are kept to a minimum.

Suraru
Forum Major

Postby Accelevi » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:46 am

If it's going to have a high chance of player killing, people may get upset.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Suraru » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:24 am

If I run it, I'll try to keep deaths limited to NPCs. As in, if players fail then NPCs take the first hits, and I have a quite few characters. However, if someone is going to attack a titan by swinging into it's face, then taunt it with a long paragraph of insults, they shouldn't be surprised if they get grabbed or bitten. I'll try to provide at least three ways to escape, attack, or plan things.

Example; the team is low on gas save for one member, and there are two 15 titans walking down the road closer to the building. One 9m, one 4m. There is a tower at the cross-section almost right behind the titans, a bridge-thing 5 meters off the ground in front of the team to the other side of the road, and the 7m tall buildings are close enough to jump to.

I've just given many hints for something to do. They can use the bridge to either cross the road, or bait/kill the 4m titan. The tower can be used for a risky escape, or if the player is skilled at 3DMG, swing and kill the 9m one. Or they can use the buildings to bait the 9m away from the 4m, and use the spare members to quick building hop using the titan as a swing point, allowing them to kill it show style, can the 4m can be dispatched by doing a Mikasa when/if it starts climbing the building. They can also make up something of their own.

But if they try to use a novice to do the tower swing attack, and (s)he misses, depending on who the NPC is (either the bait or the attacker) will be captured/injured/killed. If two players are doing this, then maybe just a capture/injury, and an NPC might die trying to save him/her. Combat events will probably go like this, once the table is laid out, the player makes a post deciding what (s)he will do, maybe some forethought for what to do next, and then I post the results if something goes wrong, or set up the next thing to do if it goes right.

Most of it will probably just be players RPing with each other as they do simple things, like heading places, fighting/training with eachother, planning ahead, plot developing, or just doing whatever they want/can do.

Suraru
Forum Major

PreviousNext

Return to Staff Announcements 2 - Where you can contribute!