CHANGE TO MOD RULE

( ・・)σ Make sure you stay up to date on these. You CAN reply to threads here.
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: CHANGE TO MOD RULE

Postby Foxen » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:12 pm

How I feel about this

We use RC in GB and I'm pretty certain we've ran into a few unkickable players. Great rule, by the way, Accel. Glad you came around on the matter.
Foxen

Postby The Rogue Titan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:53 am

Foxen wrote:
How I feel about this

We use RC in GB and I'm pretty certain we've ran into a few unkickable players. Great rule, by the way, Accel. Glad you came around on the matter.

Really? I haven't encountered any unkickable people. Whether they are modding or not.
I will kill all of the Titans. All of them! Exterminate them from this Earth. They are my prey now...
RIP Talons of Liberty
. Image
We fought hard but in the end we only succeeded in killing ourselves.

In-game name: A7XRogueTitan
The Rogue Titan

Formerly: A7X Rogue Titan

Postby Foxen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:54 am

I might be mistaking it for when not using the mod, but I'm fairly certain that unkickables have shown up a few times...I dunno
Foxen

Postby The Rogue Titan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:59 am

The only people that have been "unkickable" are players who mod it so that they don't appear on the scoreboard.
I will kill all of the Titans. All of them! Exterminate them from this Earth. They are my prey now...
RIP Talons of Liberty
. Image

The Rogue Titan

Postby Miracle » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 am

Regardless the mod is abusive or not, I still kinda disagree to wide distribution of any mod (downloaded version). That's pretty suicidal. What if Feng run out of income to kept up with the server cost? Stop countering Feng is rich or something. Being rich doesn't mean he should do any charity to us.
Miracle

Postby geassguy9 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:44 am

Accelevi wrote:I'm assuming Feng meant for me to ban abusive mods when he gave me that rule, so I'll post the following as such. Feng, if you have any problems with this, just give me an email or a PM.

I guess I'll be the first one to ask. While finally getting access to non-abusive mods and everything is great, what are the chance of someone getting put down for this by Feng? Obviously if it turns out Feng DOES have a problem with non-abusive mods, Accel would be first in line for the firing squad. Is there any chance other people from the community could get backlash for this? Has Zarythe or anyone else got confirmation from Feng yet?
geassguy9

Postby The Rogue Titan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:11 am

Miracle wrote:Regardless the mod is abusive or not, I still kinda disagree to wide distribution of any mod (downloaded version). That's pretty suicidal. What if Feng run out of income to kept up with the server cost? Stop countering Feng is rich or something. Being rich doesn't mean he should do any charity to us.

Well whenever I play, I also open the webpage in the background so it's still like I'm playing on the site.
RIP Talons of Liberty
. Image

The Rogue Titan

Postby Blizzard2795 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:30 am

Geass, since this is Accel's decision, he'd be the only person at risk, and even then the odds of that happening are borderline zero. Accel isn't a mod that enforces the rules, he's the person Feng entrusted with admin status who MAKES the rules. That being said, seeing as how it's been months since he's told Accel anything about it, it makes sense for Accel to use his own judgement, due to the large amount of people who disagree with the old policy. It's not like this is some irreversible thing, and he told Feng to just tell him if his understanding on what he meant with the ban on mods is incorrect.

Miracle, the term "Suicidal" implies that this is going to drive him to bankruptcy or something xD Even if every single person on the forum started to use mods, it still wouldn't compare to how much he loses to adblock, and that's assuming EVERYONE uses them, and disregards the rule asking to just check the site whenever you use a mod, albeit that one obviously can't be enforced in any way. You're also HORRIBLY mistaken about how this relationship works if you consider it "Charity" for him to allow mods xD He makes a game that provides entertainment. We play the game, view the ads on the game page, and make him money. We owe him nothing, and he owes us nothing. Allowing mods isn't something he "Owes" us, because it's something that happens naturally, as seen in practically every other game you'll ever see on pc, and the stance of "No mods allowed" is practically unheard of. Disallowing mods is extra effort he takes after the fact, and something he can't enforce on anything other than his personal forum. As for the "Rich" counter argument, it actually is pretty relevant to this whole thing. The one thing that could make the monetary aspect of mods a valid argument is if Feng wasn't doing so great on money, he actually needed it, and without it he wouldn't be able to continue working on the game. If that was the case, then yes, using mods that deprive him of a small amount of POTENTIAL monetary gain would be morally wrong. However, that isn't the case. Excluding abusive mods, mods pretty much ALWAYS are considered a good thing for the game and the community, by both the community and the developers. According to you, Feng even stated at one point that he supports mods that add to the game and make it more entertaining. If that's true, then he should be all for this, unless his sole reason for making this game is to make as much money as possible xD

Edit: Something that came off wrong, I'm by no means implying that Feng's rich as some people here seem to think, after all, the game does only have banner ads. As others have already stated though, the multiple trips in such a short amount of time at the very least shows he's not in a tight spot with money where he desperately needs every single page view he can get.
Blizzard2795

Postby Miracle » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:22 am

By suicidal, I don't mean Feng, I mean us. I won't be surprised if Feng just came up one day, and close the server without notice because the server cost exceed the ad revenue. Well, you guys knew how random he is.

Feng never disapprove of mod because doing that hinder creativity, but he stated many times that downloaded version should not be distributed. That pretty much said everything.

I won't say the usage of mod is trivial now, seeing as even a new player can find out about mod in no time, and search for it easily. The casual is actually the main source of revenue for Feng, and they don't have that much of dedication to the game, thus you can't expect them to open up the webpage everytime they play the game. When the more and more casual starts using the mod, sooner or later the revenue wouldn't be enough to keep up with the server cost.

Personally I like the productive mod myself, but I can see that if this spreading continue the wall may collapse again.
Miracle

Postby Raz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:31 am

Raz wrote:1) This changes the guild rule right?

Soul wrote:Does this change the rule on mod distribution in Guilds?

?
Raz

PreviousNext

Return to Staff Announcements 2 - Where you can contribute!