AOT/SNK Theories and or Speculations

Feel free to make threads of the latest chapters and discuss them. Duplicate threads will be locked, deleted if you keep doing so. (`・ω・´)”
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: AOT/SNK Theories and or Speculations

Postby liala » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:22 pm

I don't agree with the part where Ymir as a Titan met it. Because he thaught that Ilse was Ymir at first and she was a human. But the Titans can learn because they also tried to climb the trees in the Forest.
You're saying that the Ape Titan might have transformed and turned into a "mindless" Titan? And now he is one for a pretty long time and started to learn how to be human again somehow (because he can speak well). Bert&Reiner know him from somewhere though. So maybe he was a threat to their village? Maybe they are even like nomads and have to flee from him?
liala

Postby Mama » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:27 pm

What if titans weren't aggressive before, and humans did something to them?
That could be a way of how Ymir taught that titan to speak.
Mama

Postby Connorhere » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:25 am

There are theories that say that ymir was just like any other titan, and that she "stole the titan power" from Berik/Marcel upon eating him by coincidence, which would be how a titan regains its human consciousness and steals the ability to titan-shift. People say that each titan-shifter needs to eat another titan-shifter in order to retain consciousness in titan form, Eren could have eaten his dad, Annie too, and Bertl speaks of how he and Reiner didn't remember eating a person when refering to how Ymir ate their friend. I'm iffy on this theory as it would suggest that Ymir was originally just a mindless titan like any other, but this wouldn't explain why she looks so beast-like rather than as human as any other titan.

I also believe that Ymir was generally more adept at surviving than other Titans and due to her higher intelligence and general skill she managed to intimidate other titans into praising her like a god, potentially influencing them to the point where she is safe around them in her human form. This could have happened after she ate Berik/Marcel, as if it syncs in with the other theory then she would have regained her consciousness and control over her titan form, so she makes a living on the outside of the walls for a few years before coming across the walls and eventually joining the military. Titans as a mindless species are still very strange and hold many mysteries circling their behavior and levels of intelligence, as the 3m in the OVA possessed way higher intelligence than any others seen before. It had several emotional reactions, crying and restraining itself from eating Ilse, it could definitely speak and understand human speak since there was a point of realisation where it discovered that Ilse was not Ymir and therefore not a threat, potentially triggering its titan instincts. As well as the fact that it literally built a shrine to her corpse and weeped over it, ashamed and saddened by what it had done.
Connorhere

Postby Kitkat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:43 am

Well I don't support the theory that Ymir was a mindless titan before because as we've seen titans share resemblance with their human form, whether they are shifters or were transformed into titan. Ymir's titan doesn't really resemble her, so it's probably because she stole titan formula made for someone else. And I don't think shifters necessarily have to eat other shifters to regain human consciousness and I also don't think that Eren's dad has to be dead. I'm pretty sure Eren's dad has been outside the walls several times since he couldn't have just gotten Eren's titan formula randomly. And if he's been outside the walls a lot, and is probably involved in the manufacturing of the titan formula, it isn't far off that he has the ability to shift as well, either that or he has a shifter with him, otherwise it would be difficult for him to have ever survived outside the walls.
Kitkat

Postby Mama » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:21 am

If Annie was a mindless titan before and ate her dad, then what was with that scene when he's hugging her?
The same with Eren.
Mama

Postby Connorhere » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:58 am

I believe that in order for a regular titan-shifter to maintain their consciousness over the titan form, they need to eat another titan-shifter. The same could be for regular titans but in this case its to become a titan-shifter rather than to maintain consciousness. Annie's dad would have trained her as normal in her human form, and that flashback was moments before his daughter would have shifted and eaten him, which might explain why he was crying so much. The same would go for Eren's dad. Bertl also hinted at that being required for a titan-shifter to regain consciousness, Ymir became conscious after eating Berik, who was most likely a titan-shifter, Bertl stated that he and Reiner didn't remember the time they did it either, refering to how Ymir wasn't aware of eating Berik and implied that Bertl and Reiner were the same.
Connorhere

Postby Mama » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:38 pm

You're saying that Annie was a shirfter before too, but couldn't control herself, so her father made herr eat him so she can survive?
Mama

Postby higurashimerlin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:38 pm

The series seems to be implying that titan shifters are titans that have regain their bodies and return to human form. Though it doesn't seem likely that it requires eating another titan-shifter because how did the first one do it?

Another thing to mention is that Ymir said she wouldn't have gotten out of the "nightmare" if wall maria hadn't been breached. Implying that she became human again a while after eating Berik/Marcel.
higurashimerlin

Postby Connorhere » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:34 pm

higurashimerlin wrote:The series seems to be implying that titan shifters are titans that have regain their bodies and return to human form. Though it doesn't seem likely that it requires eating another titan-shifter because how did the first one do it?

Another thing to mention is that Ymir said she wouldn't have gotten out of the "nightmare" if wall maria hadn't been breached. Implying that she became human again a while after eating Berik/Marcel.

Its heavily implied that you need to eat somebody to get consciousness back, titan-shifters would make the most sense. Ymir ate Berik and regained consciousness after 60 years and became human. Bertl and Reiner ate whoever they ate and have no memory of it, just like Ymir, implying that they were once in a mindless titan state. Eren is still sort of confusing, it would make sense if he ate his father, perhaps transforming in a secluded area moments after Grisha injected him with the mysterious drug, however he has still had moments of mindlessness and behavior of a regular enraged titan. Annie would have probably eaten her father, in the flashback his words sounded like they could be his last, as he was passing on his wishes to Annie as he cried apologetically.

Perhaps every titan has the desire to regain their human form and so they mindlessly try to eat whoever they can in attempts of turning back, maybe one of these would be a titan shifter.
^ I'd support this if it wasn't sort of negated by the santa titan eating Eren and being completely unaffected, remaining mindless and all, maybe specific things need to happen, because Eren wasn't even dead but i don't like speculating on theories with weak evidence.
Connorhere

Postby Mama » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Connorhere wrote:^ I'd support this if it wasn't sort of negated by the santa titan eating Eren and being completely unaffected, remaining mindless and all, maybe specific things need to happen, because Eren wasn't even dead but i don't like speculating on theories with weak evidence.

We can't know if it's true, because Eren killed the titan before anything could happen.
What if his father lied to him that he's going outside the walls, then gave him the drug? So all that he could remember is that he's outside the walls.
Mama

PreviousNext

Return to SnK/AoT Manga Discussion