The Newbie Discussion Thread 3

To discuss things if you have 3 posts or less.
- Accelevi

Re: The Newbie Discussion Thread 3

Postby IG_42 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 pm

IG_42

Postby Simantov » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:12 am

fishhawk00 wrote:So I tried using the mouse for the hooks today, and I definitely have mixed feelings about it. For one, I was learning a whole new setup, resulting in quite a few mistakes I wouldn't have made if I was using my old setup. For two, it was awkward and I wasn't comfortable using the same camera angle anymore. That was fun to figure out too.

HOWEVER

someone said that it felt more legit, and I have to agree.
Once I got the hang of it, I was way more proficient at maneuvering. I still haven't figured out comfortable settings for attacking and locking with my left hand, but I could run away well enough to be an effective distraction while my friends took them down. I def recommend trying it out, even if you don't keep it.

Spoiler:
Everyone will have their different setting on keyboard or mouse buttons, but if you are a beginner then by all means try constantly playing with different ones and see which one or ones make you feel more comfortable :)
When I started playing I didn't feel like using the default, found it very difficult and having played some other PC games with different control setups made me change it.
For the traditional movement WSAD I changed it to EDSF (Forward,Backward,Left,Right), I switched gas/jump to Spacebar, Left/Right hook to Left/Right mouse buttons (Since I do not use the double hook key, I discarded it so it has none) and Attack/Special Attack to the mouse wheel (Up/Down).

Since I can't reel, my playstyle involves no reeling or attacks that include reeling (Like the Vector Slash) whatsoever. I can still have fun and play very well without it, but I would like to start reeling.

I read some other comment from you about getting a new mouse, perhaps you meant a mouse which would have more buttons? Like a gamer mouse?
I also thought about it and it could very well make you improve on your playstyle and skill. Since I can't 'charge' my attack with the wheel, I would constantly score less than 500 points, so I switched the Attack to my W key (but since I use my ring finger for it, I can't maneuver to the left side), and I improved on it a lot, but I would still go for the mouse with two buttons near my thumb, so I can leave the wheel for the reeling option.

Also, a guy gave me some advice to switching the Attack to spacebar and gas to shift or some other key that you can press with your pinky. I couldn't handle it too well but you can always try it for yourself.

And don't feel discouraged to try a guild, not everyone can be good at something they like a lot, especially if you are just beginning. Some have abilities and some other don't for some things, but by keep practicing and mastering and experimenting you can become as good too. Maybe the way you want to play is just not your style. If you like a thing a lot then keep trying and trying :)

I'm not sure to recommend you to try doing those tutorial techniques right now, since you first have to find your playstyle, and you discover it by feeling comfortable on how to kill a titan. I started without any techniques until I was sure how I wanted to play, and then looked up for those that felt more similar or familiar.
Simantov

Postby Phroid » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:00 am

I have L/R hook bound to L/R mouse and I'm doing great. (Attack is E)
I don't seem to be able to reel in though...
Phroid

Postby The Rogue Titan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:25 am

I'm gonna try that.
I will kill all of the Titans. All of them! Exterminate them from this Earth. They are my prey now...
RIP Talons of Liberty
. Image
We fought hard but in the end we only succeeded in killing ourselves.

In-game name: A7XRogueTitan
The Rogue Titan

Formerly: A7X Rogue Titan

Postby aimop95 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Waaahhh it's such a nice day over here!
aimop95

Postby fishhawk00 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:32 pm

To Simantov:
I'm very comfortable with the game, so I've got a play style that I like, however there are certain elements that are lacking that I want to incorporate, like usage of dodge and double hooks, and efficient usage of lock and flares. It's when I try to add those elements to my style that things get complicated. Especially with a Mac keyboard, so my usual Capslock, control and shift keys are no longer an option. It's because of things like that that I've been looking at different ways to completely overhaul my setup without altering my style. That's where things get difficult. Ingrained keyboard combos that I press out of habit are no longer viable, so I spend more time being frustrated than actually enjoying the game. Your input was really helpful and will definitely help newer users, but I wish there was a tutorial to take the edge off of my frustration from a complete overhaul. What started off as a simple tweak ended up being a massive personal project. **insert rage gif**
fishhawk00

Postby Helifano » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Does anyone know if Levi specifically has less reeling capabilities than others? I've looked through a lot of character stat posts and the only thing I can find is that his acceleration is higher than others. I guess that could be the reason, seeing as how if he was accelerating so powerfully the reel might not be strong enough to be super noticeable, but when I was practicing reel tactics as Levi I could barely get him to reel, and sometimes ending up grinding my mousewheel furiously trying to get it to work, but I switched to Jean and it works beautifully.
Helifano

Postby Khally » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Helifano wrote:Does anyone know if Levi specifically has less reeling capabilities than others? I've looked through a lot of character stat posts and the only thing I can find is that his acceleration is higher than others. I guess that could be the reason, seeing as how if he was accelerating so powerfully the reel might not be strong enough to be super noticeable, but when I was practicing reel tactics as Levi I could barely get him to reel, and sometimes ending up grinding my mousewheel furiously trying to get it to work, but I switched to Jean and it works beautifully.

The reeling speed is only influenced by your speed and direction at the time, nothing more :)
Khally

Postby Simantov » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 pm

fishhawk00 wrote:To Simantov:
I'm very comfortable with the game, so I've got a play style that I like, however there are certain elements that are lacking that I want to incorporate, like usage of dodge and double hooks, and efficient usage of lock and flares. It's when I try to add those elements to my style that things get complicated. Especially with a Mac keyboard, so my usual Capslock, control and shift keys are no longer an option. It's because of things like that that I've been looking at different ways to completely overhaul my setup without altering my style. That's where things get difficult. Ingrained keyboard combos that I press out of habit are no longer viable, so I spend more time being frustrated than actually enjoying the game. Your input was really helpful and will definitely help newer users, but I wish there was a tutorial to take the edge off of my frustration from a complete overhaul. What started off as a simple tweak ended up being a massive personal project. **insert rage gif**

You could also try getting a gaming keyboard.

I have dodge on my mouse wheel at the moment. But you use a lot of keys, so yeah that's gonna be a challenge. Since I don't usually use the flares, I left them on the default. I don't use lock because I never used it and don't know how to use it, even at all this time playing lol. And yes, I know how you feel.

Don't know what else to tell you, since I don't use too many of the settings, but by all means keep experiencing key changing, even if you are an advanced player :)
Simantov

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:38 pm

@Phroid, that's the biggest disadvantage I have, but I still use it because I feel more comfortable with it. I started with the default controls and Original camera, played like that for like 2 months, and my best hit was 1050 I think. After that, I changed to the one with mouse + TPS, and now my best is 1450. Sure, it's because I practiced and tried again and again, but the mouse just gives you better manuevrability, and it's better to shoot with the same hand that you aim.
Hopefully Feng will let us change the key for reel-in soon. :c
Annie Leonhardt

PreviousNext

Return to Newcomers Area