Seinen VS Shounen. Which Do You Prefer/Think Is Better? Why?

Where other NON-SNK animanga can be discussed. (★^O^★)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Seinen VS Shounen. Which Do You Prefer/Think Is Better? Why?

Postby jahob000 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 am

We all have our preferences of what we like to watch. Some of us stick to certain demographic/genre and some of us go for whichever we're in the mood for.

If you're an anime fan especially in the US, I'm almost certain that you started off with Shounen. Shounen is the Hype genre of anime that is exciting and caters to the teenage boy audiences but can have an appeal to anyone. Most of us started of with either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z if you were born in the late 80's and were a 90's baby. You probably expanded your anime horizons from Toonami and Adult Swim that were the only major channels that showed anime. Due to Adult Swim and us being kids, some wanted to branch of from the childish stuff and get into more Adult themed Anime. Which is when the internet became more media heavy and we started to search and watch anime that suited our tastes or mood.

For a long time I had only watched stuff from Adult Swim as a kid. I didn't know what Shounen and all that stuff was at the time. I still liked watching kid stuff so I had no interest in stuff like Cowboy Beepop. Eventually though, When DBZ/GT was over I wanted something new. Something that had a lot of episodes that would last a long time. That's when I got into Inuyasha and Detective Conan. I don't know why those appealed to me, but I watched em. Eventually Stuff like Death Note, FMA, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai Champloo hit the scene. I re-watched those all the way into being an adult and got tired of it until someone FINALLY got me to watch Naruto, then Bleach. Fell in love with em.

I wanted to find more Shounen like that but just not super long but not too short either. It was nosgalic but then I noticed I started to get bored watching em. It was the same thing over and over again. Just different anime. I wanted something different. Something more like Death Note where the characters were more realistic and had more depth and was adult themed. That's when I found out about Seinen.

It had exactly what I was looking for. I wanted anime that was strange and different and didn't just have explosions and super strong characters and what not. While Seinen has it's good and bad, it had a lot more variety to offer than Shounen did. At least to me. The main downside to me is that there are anime that have A LOT of fanservice which is very annoying. I typically stay away from School themed slice of life anime.

Some of the Seinen anime that I watched and liked are or at least thought was interesting are:
Welcome to the NHK
Monster
Himitsu The Revelation
Darker Than Black
Mushishi
Gyo
Psycho-Pass

Just to name a few.

So to bring this long post to a close.

All in all, I prefer Seinen due to it's variety, randomness, character Depth, and the ability to make great stories in less than 30 episodes.

Which do you prefer? Why?
jahob000

Re: Seinen VS Shounen. Which Do You Prefer/Think Is Better?

Postby Z.E.D » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:41 am

I prefer Shounen mostly , because action ....I've never watched a seinen before so what would you advise for me?

AS for the overall list fo anime's that i've watched.
-FMAB
-SnK
-BLue exorcist
-GUrren Lagann
-Kakumeiki Valvrave
-Suisei no gargantia
-GTO
-Soul eater
-KAras
-Dragonball
-Kill la kill
-SAO
Z.E.D

Postby jahob000 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:50 am

Z.E.D wrote:I prefer Shounen mostly , because action ....I've never watched a seinen before so what would you advise for me?

AS for the overall list fo anime's that i've watched.
-FMAB
-SnK
-BLue exorcist
-GUrren Lagann
-Kakumeiki Valvrave
-Suisei no gargantia
-GTO
-Soul eater
-KAras
-Dragonball
-Kill la kill
-SAO

I'm not good at recommending stuff as my tastes vary on my mood. The Seinen that people recommend I'm usually not interested in it. You'll hafta go to MyAnimeList for suggestions on what to watch. There is action packed Seinen around (maybe not like Shounen) but I don't really watch those since I like more laid back anime, at least when it comes to Seinen that is. So I really can't recommend anything for you.
jahob000

Postby Accelevi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:52 am

I haven't seen anything I would define as Seinen.
TVTropes list of "Seinen" seems inaccurate.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby jahob000 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:43 am

Lately...Well pretty much all last year, I've developed a heavy interest towards anime about introverts, Shut-ins, Hikkikomoris and the like.
jahob000

Postby TataBlitz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:44 am

Shounen for when I want to turn my brain off, Seinen for when I want a deep and more realistic story.

Generally I like a balance between the two with a slight bias towards seinen, which is why SNK is one of my favorite animes due to it taking a darker look on the world and messing around with the shounen tropes. I would like it more if it spun in the more seinen direction though.
TataBlitz

Postby bomboy2121 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Shounen for sure!!!

but i love the Shounens with love story like gurren laggan and guilty crown (its awesome!!)

and after all aot is Shounen so most of the users here will pick Shounen
bomboy2121

Postby jahob000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 am

bomboy2121 wrote:Shounen for sure!!!

but i love the Shounens with love story like gurren laggan and guilty crown (its awesome!!)

Yeah. This IS an AOT fan base so that'st true. I like a few shounens but I don't really watch anything new (With the exception of AOT of course) mainly because they seem too stock. You know what I mean?

Well Seinen has the same "stock" thing too though.
jahob000

Postby bomboy2121 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:58 pm

jahob000 wrote:
bomboy2121 wrote:Shounen for sure!!!

Yeah. This IS an AOT fan base so that'st true. I like a few shounens but I don't really watch anything new (With the exception of AOT of course) mainly because they seem too stock. You know what I mean?

Well Seinen has the same "stock" thing too though.

lol same thing

i love few seinen but i mostly watch shounen :P
bomboy2121

Postby jahob000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 pm

bomboy2121 wrote:i love few seinen but i mostly watch shounen :P

Just outta curiosity, what Seinen have you seen?
jahob000

Next

Return to Anime & Manga