Anime Review of the Day (For My AOT Group)

Where other NON-SNK animanga can be discussed. (★^O^★)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Anime Review of the Day (For My AOT Group)

Postby jahob000 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:27 pm

These reviews are mainly for the people that are in my Group so this isn't like an Official review guys so don't hate me too much.

THESE REVIEWS ARE SIMPLY MY PERSPECTIVE AND VIEWS, THEY ARE NOT MEANT TO BASH ANYONE'S ANIME. THESE REVIEWS DO NOT ULTIMATELY DEEM AN ANIME AS BAD OR GOOD OTHER THAN TO MYSELF.

I don't read manga so these reviews are based only on the anime and not the manga. So if I think that a particular anime is bad or good, it doesn't determine if I think the manga is bad or not since an anime can sometimes stray from the manga's original story and have a lot of filler that can negatively or positively influence the anime. I know that an official reviewer would read manga and take that into consideration when reviewing but not me. For example some say the AOT anime isn't as good as the manga, so reviewing only the anime might be an incomplete review.

So here's the rating system.

Story: goal, theme, progression, topic and detail
Music: the music itself and how it blends in or if it overpowers and distracts.
Art/Animation: detail, fluency and style
Voice Acting: Usually reserved for English Dubbed Anime, but even the emotion from a language you don't understand can still have an impact
Characters: depth, story impact, traits,
Originality: Not necessarily for the overall concept but in how it is done e.g. overdone anime tropes etc.
Overall: The overall feel of the anime with all parts included.

Remember. Just because a certain portion of the review gets a low score, doesn't necessarily always mean that it was bad. It can just be that it doesn't complement something, or there was something missing. For example, an anime could have been really good but not because of its plot but because of its characters. Anime have different strong points. An anime can be good just because of its music or its animation. Also in my reviews, even an anime with little to know music or if it has music that doesn't stand out, can still get a high score. This is because if an anime can put the right music in the right places to compliment or strengthen a certain part of the series, then it makes it a lot better than just seeing a bad anime that just has good music.

When I'm review more modern anime, the animation and music score will likely be high.

This is because most newer anime have excellent quality and everything from the background to even something as simple as a book can seem realistic. The only way this will get a low score is if the anime's animation and art style are simply unbearable to watch.

As for music, the music is usually just there for liven up your ears from time to time so it doesn't always serve much purpose unless it's in the action genre. The only way that music will get a bad score is if it's unbearable to listen to, there's too much music, or they play music on awkward moments too often.

When I say something is stock, I mean that it's a clone of something else and it's super common. However there is a difference between something that is stock and something that you see all the time. For example, good vs evil isn't stock, it's something that's just a part of life and society. Stock is when you take something that we see all the time and try to portray it like it's something original. Or when someone tries too hard to be original and it ends up being just a weird stock.

It's similar to a Cliche kinda thing. For example in a shounen anime, you have a main character that eats a lot as a gag element. Or you'll have a guy that "accidentally" touches a females chest. Pretty common right? However even if someone adds that into their anime, if you do it right, then i can still work and not seem overdone.

Anime Review of the Day
February 20th, 2014
Dragon Ball Z (Toonami run. Not the remastered or Kai version)

First lemme say that this one is gonna be a bit of a lengthy review, seeing as how a little explanation is needed with this one. My other reviews won't be nearly as long since they will be for more modern anime.

Synopsis
Spoiler:
Myanimetlist.com Synopisis Ann
Goku is back with his new son, Gohan, but just when things are getting settled down, the adventures continue. Whether he is facing enemies such as Frieza, Cell, or Buu, Goku is proven to be an elite of his own and discovers his race, Saiyan and is able to reach Super Saiyan 3 form. He meets many new people, gaining allies and well as enemies, as he still finds time to raise a family and be the happy-go-lucky Saiyan he is.

Prologue
Spoiler:
I know that a lot of you younger kids that are apart of the newer generation don't understand why this anime is so popular. After all, you watched Dragon Ball Z when anime was already prevalent here in America so it seemed annoying. Dragon Ball Z is like a classic. It was something that was made for kids as an entertainment source and in my opinion was successful. Think of the 1960's and 70's versions of stuff like Voltron, Thunder cats, He man, Superman, Batman, Transformers. Now a days nobody watches em because they are so old. Those were simple concepts too but you wouldn't say they sucked would you? No, you wouldn't. Why? because they're classics and were made for people of a different time.

Dragon Ball Z was one of those shows that you had to watch as a kid. You would have to have grown up with it back in 1996 to understand. However, even back then there were some people that hated it. For those of you that say it's just random fighting with no story and more plot holes than Swiss cheese, I'd say that you're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! Most DBZ fans know this by the way.

Like I said, you need to have grown up in that era to understand. I actually didn't start watching DBZ until the next year so let's take a trip back to 1997 shall we? *FLASHBACK!!!*

So here we are back in 97. At that time I was into Pokemon. I was a very simple kid. I was always playing my Super Nintendo or Nintendo64, watching the classic Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network cartoons. I didn't play much sports, listen to music or watch daytime TV shows. So I was always in the house glued to my games and cartoons.

Back in those days anime was nearly non existent in America. Don't get me wrong, I know for a fact that there were other anime that had aired in America from an even EARLIER time but they weren't on any of the major kid channels. Also Keep in mind that this was before Internet. I mean, we had it but it wasn't ANYWHERE NEAR as clean and complex as it is today. You couldn't watch videos or anything on it. We also didn't have complex gaming systems that sucked up all your time (though they still did suck up time, just not as much). So there were less distractions and competitions for our attention in terms of media devices.

The only new and recent one was Pokemon that was airing on Kids WB at the time around when kids got outta school. While I was into Pokemon I heard about DBZ and also said that it seemed stupid. That is until I found out that it has fist fighting, which is what I liked.

I turned to Cartoon Network and took a look and the first thing I saw was this short guy with hair that looked like Sonic the Hedgehog (Vegeta). He was fighting some purple guy (Cui) on some Green Planet (Namek). I had no idea what was going on but I didn't really need to since it seemed so simplistic. Luckily Toonami was doing reruns so I got to check out the first episode.

At the time it was a corny Dub company (Ocean Dub) that was doing the anime's editing and what not. Filled with corny jokes and lame music. But that aside, the thing that attracted me the most was the pure random fighting. Most of all it was labeled as Martial Arts. Even though it just looked like random punches and kicks with no kind of fighting style. I watched it and I was instantly hooked. In my head I was always thinking, "I wonder how this character would do against this character?" and what not. It always gave me goosebumps and chills.

It had a central theme that everyone could relate to and it was an anime that people fell in love with. It was a show that was all about hype and excitement. The theme of the show was to grow stronger than everyone else and reach a level that no one had ever before reached. Best of all, it was man to man, no guns, robots or anything like that. Sure they had Energy Beams but it was THEIR OWN energy.

So anyway, even though I still love the anime as a nostalgia factor, it doesn't compare to today's anime. But it's kind of hard to compare. Anime of today have in depth plots and more complexity. It's like comparing the Atari to the PS4. They're two different kinds of systems that you play in a completely different way. Needless to say the PS4 is a better system since it's evolved. But the Atari is still a good classic system. You won't truly understand unless you were from the time. So anyway, let's get down to the review.

Review
Spoiler:
Again, take note that this is for the ORIGINAL RUN of Dragon Ball Z. Not that remastered and Kai crap.

Story/Plot: 2/10 - Even though it's a classic, you might as well say that there is no story at all. Dragon Ball Z would have been so much better if the story line wasn't so contradicting and inconsistent. At the very least, they managed to not skew the story line away from fighting *Cough Dragon Ball GT* Ahem, excuse me. It was pretty much as if the creator (Akira Toriyama) just plopped in whatever and so long as fans accepted it, he would keep it. That's a serious flaw.

Music: 7/10 - This is a wee bit different. Because they switched dubbing companies in the 90's version, I will be going with the Funimation side rather than Ocean Dub. Bruce Faulconer created each track for the anime. At the time, dubbing companies kept trying to Americanize anime and take away the Japanese side of things. So they weren't sure how fans would embrace the Japanese soundtrack, so you can consider some 90's anime a testing phase. In my opinion, I'm so glad that they DID change it. Bruce Faulconer ended up making the music fit better than the orignial Japanese dub version. (Again, think 90's gys). He even managed to give certain characters themes. The only problem was that the music never stopped. Sometimes our ears need a break, or sometimes we need moments of silence to intensify the affect of a moment. Needless to say, Bruce did have a few annoying soundtracks but it was better than doing nothin.

Art/Animation: 5/10 - This one is weird. Dragon Ball Z had it's cheap moments. They hadda switch with different artists to keep costs down. I guess you could call this a bootleg moment of desperation. Even though there were many different art styles that were quite good, there were also some that were just offal. For example here http://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-styles/ At times characters were very rounded out, and other times they were very pointy. I just wish that they would have had the funds to be consistent in the art style.

Voice Acting: Dubbing 6/10 - Since this one is in English it's easier to judge. It's also a bit complex. They switched dubbing companies and Funimation did several re-dubs. You have the original, the remastered, and the Kai Version.H owever, I will be dealing with the original Funimation version. They took over around the namek saga and were still trying to match the previous voice cast. Some people may disagree with this next part but I believe that it wasn't until the Android saga that everyone became well rounded and had their own voices. Chris Sabat (Vegeta's Voice Actor) was doing nearly all the roles back then. At the time he was doing a pretty good job of keeping a clear distinction between his characters. However I always felt Dragon Ball Z voice acting was a tad overdone. A lot of the lines were cheesy and didn't fit the moment. One thing I can say is that I prefer the dubbed voices over the Japanese dubs. One thing was for sure, the voice actors enjoyed their roles very much and they don't sound so stock.

Characters: 5/10: What can you really say about the characters? In reality they are 2D with not much character Depth. Regardless of that, A lot of the characters are very original in terms of shounen. Where else are you gonna find hair that just sticks to your mind like Goku's and Vegeta's. Or have a pickle wearing a cape stuck in your head.

Originality: 7/10 - Shounen now a days seem so stock since there's so many of them and it's hard to be original since it's most likely been done before. Dragon Ball Z I believed, paved the way. No one had every heard of a Saiyan before and the idea of a Super Saiyan just made fans go crazy. It was an outward manifestation of a power increase that was incomprehensible. I'm pretty sure other anime used some kind of energy blasts before but DBZ incorporated it to physical strength and seeing it like that added to imagining a character's strength. I can't think of any other anime that deals with fighting on such a high scale that can destroy planets.

Overall: 5/10 - Dragon Ball Z is still popular due to its heavy nostalgia factor. Many of us remember watching it in the 90's and how exciting it was to see it. Even though I'm a fan, I can't cut it any slack. It was an anime for kids that had a simple concept and was always just about being just that. If I were a part of the new generation and had already seen a lot of modern anime and then watched Dragon Ball Z, I most likely would hate it and would constantly ponder why it's so popular. Despite it being a shounen giant, it's an anime that has managed to live past it's prime. All in all. It's something you can only watch as a kid and it as a first experience.

Anime Review of the Day
February 21st, 2014
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Synopsis
Spoiler:
Myanimelist.com Synopsis Written by MAL Rewrite
Mafia is rife in America where assassinations are a regular occurrence on the streets. Inferno, a mysterious company, is behind most of these dealings through the use of their near-invincible human weapon, "Phantom."

One day, a Japanese tourist accidentally witnesses Phantom's latest murder. Desperate to escape, the tourist hides in a secluded building. However, Phantom, revealed to be a young woman named Ein, and the leader of Inferno "Scythe Master" captures the tourist and brainwashes him.

Given the name "Zwei," this once peaceful tourist is now a puppet of Inferno with no memories. Drawn into a world of lies, deceit, and violence, Zwei must fight to survive, hopefully to one day regain his memories and escape from this world where he is constantly on the brink of death.

Prologue
Spoiler:
I wanted to review this one while it was still fresh in my mind. Just so you know, this one is a remake of another one which had only 3 episodes. I don't read Manga so I don't even know which was an adaptation or which followed the Manga. It doesn't matter because I'm not comparing it to the manga. A lot of stories are very predictable when they've been done so many times. So the only way to enjoy them is to see how and what happens in between. When I first did a very brief read about this anime I instantly rejected it because mistakenly believed that it was just a bunch of random action. I couldn't have been more wrong. Sure there's action stuff in it but that's not where the story is focused.

Review
Spoiler:
Story/Plot: 10/10 - I have a soft spot for anime that have a theme where it is about human essence. This anime talks about parts of it which are about not allowing yourself to have desires due to the wrong you've done for the sake of your own life. No matter how hard you try you will still want to be happy even while living in darkness. This anime captures that quite well. I was able to figure out parts of the story before it happened but it was still sad to see and was still a surprise. The ending was quite a surprise. It's very dificult to predict which is what I like.

Music: 8/10 - To be completely honest, I was so into the story that I forgot that there was even music. I hadda go back and listen to some of it. There wasn't a lot of music but whenever there was, it fit perfectly. Except for one theme. They kinda played it a little to often during a few episodes. The story was so good that in wasn't necessary for more music to play. In fact, if there was a little more music, it would have been too distracting rather than leaving the silence to leave an impact.

Art/Animation: 10/10 - The animation was done in 2009 and I think it looks absolutely beautiful. The detail they did was incredible. I mean I don't know what else to say here except that I can't think of any animation that was out of place.

Voice Acting (Japanese Dub): 10/10 - It's kinda hard to judge a Japanese dub since I don't speak the language but that doesn't mean I can't feel anything. The voices felt like they were cast right. They didn't have to do anything that was over the top. The soft speaking tones made everything in the anime feel more natural and flow well.

Characters: 10/10 - Each major character has a clear goal and motive with strong simple reasons for their actions. The characters either go through some form of metamorphosis or things are revealed that make you look at them differently. Without some of these characters, the plot would fail.

Overall: 9/10 - This was just an overall excellent quality anime that someone obviously embedded their own thoughts and feelings into it. That's part of the goal of someone creating something right? Not only to entertain people but to express their experiences, thoughts, views and feelings. They truly cared about this and it shows.

Anime Review of the Day
February 22nd, 2014
Another

Synopsis
Spoiler:
[b][i]Myanimelist Synopsis source ANN
When Kouichi Sasakibara transfers to his new school, he can sense something frightening in the atmosphere of his new class, a secret none of them will talk about. At the center is the beautiful girl Mei Misaki. Kouichi is immediately drawn to her mysterious aura, but then he begins to realize that no one else in the class is aware of her presence.

Prologue
Spoiler:
I think that this was the second Seinen anime that I had seen. I wanted to take a break from the shounen genre and get into something that was more life like or realistic. Something a little more natural without characters having super strength and super powers. If that kinda stuff is what your'e looking for then this isn't for you. I wanted to find something that was a mystery and suspense and this was it.

Review
Spoiler:
Story: 9/10 - This may seem like a typical spooky story where you can predict the ending or even the events in between but it's not. There are a few things that were kind of predictable but it still didn't affect the story in the least. The plot for this genre was very unique considering how a lot of things in this category have been overdone. They were quite thorough in the reasons of what was going on without really understanding why.

Music: 8/10 - While the music wasn't anything exuberant, it still served it's purpose to add to the atmosphere. Of course with this genre, heavy music is unnecessary, seeing as how it would take away from the atmosphere rather than adding to it. There's not really much else to say about the music since it's not designed to be spectacular, however it did leave silence where it needed to be.

Art/Animation: 10/10 - I see no flaws in the animation. I'm always impressed with the detailed animation of modern anime. This makes objects seem realistic. Also the shading and lighting of characters and objects gives the anime an even more darker undertone. It looks like they went above and beyond to keep it as natural looking as possible.

Voice Acting (Dubbed/Subbed): 8/10 - I did manage to watch both versions. Although I prefer the subbed version, the dubbed version wasn't bad at all. The key with this kinda thing is that there doesn't need to be outstanding voice acting that requires a lot of power. Instead it needs to be more natural and subtle to fit in with these specific characters and the atmosphere. It might just be me but I think, English voice actors a lot of the times lack that trait. A few of the English voice actors sounded just a tad bit corny.

Characters: 7/10 - Once again it's all about atmosphere. These characters weren't meant to stand out in a fashionable way but rather to keep up the serious atmosphere. They did a good job of reminding the watcher that there is something constantly going on and how serious the situation is for them. There was only one character that seemed to disrupt that atmosphere and mood. I'm not sure if they did that to keep it lively or to keep that character as a tool for the main character. So that the main character can feel that there are still some normal people around him.

Originality: 9/10 - I believe the mystery aspect was very original and very well thought out. Some people mistake suspense and mystery as horror and misclassify it and find it weird rather than original. The characters aren't stock of course and neither is this plot. It definitely was doing its own thing and showed that very well.

Overall: 9/10 - This anime was all about keeping an atmosphere. Not of one to scare you since it's not a horror, but of one to keep you wondering what's going on and what's going to happen. It is somewhat dark and gives you a feeling of eeriness. I found it very entertaining to watch and was a good change of pace from the norm.

Anime Review of the Day
February 23rd, 2014
Mirai Nikki

Synopsis
Spoiler:
This psychological thriller, based on the manga written and illustrated by Sakae Esuno, is about Yuki, a loner who's not very good with people. He prefers to write a diary on his cell phone and talk to his imaginary friend, Deus Ex Machina – The God of Time and Space. However, Yuki soon learns that Deus is more than a figment of his imagination when he makes Yuki participate in a battle royale with eleven others. The contestants are given special diaries that can predict the future, each diary possessing unique features that give it both advantages and disadvantages. Within the next 90 days, the contestants must try to survive until there is only one left standing. The winner will become the new God of Time and Space.

Prologue
Spoiler:
Before I start lemme say that when I read about the premise of this anime, I thought that it sounded really good and original. So good to where I thought it would be among my top favorite anime. There's alotta anime where I'm borderline on watching but this one I was like "Wow, this seems so exciting!". I rarely get excited about watching an anime before I even watch it. The first few episodes were really interesting and it left alotta questions of what was going on and what might take place...Then comes the disappointment. I had to end up forcing myself to finish the rest. I don't know what happened but I'll try to explain it in the review.

Review
Spoiler:
Story: 4/10 - Oh...My...Goodness...How in the WORLD did they mess this up so bad?! The premise to the show was amazing. It seemed like the show was going in the right direction and would be even qualify as an Anime of the Year kinda thing. But then after the first few episodes, it seemed as if a completely new writer came and pushed the original one out of the way. Don't get me wrong. It's not that I have an absolute problem with a story changing it's concept But when you change it to something that is so irrelevant to the story, it's like mixing oil in water. It's hard to explain without spoiling but let's just say the story was all over the place.

Music: 6/10 - There's not really much to say about the music. Since It's been a while that I finished watching the anime, I hadda go back and check it out. It's pretty standard. Nothing outstanding but not bad either. Kinda like when you hear music from a movie. It's not always meant to leave a heavy impression but to simply compliment the anime a little.

Animation: 9/10 - Despite my disappointment in the storyline, I have to say that once again the animation is pretty good. So not much to say there.

Voice Acting (Japanese Dub): 6/10 - The voice acting was also pretty standard. Nothing extravagant. Although it did manage to at least keep the show lively.

Characters: 4/10 - There are several reasons for this low score in this category but the main reason is because of the MAIN CHARACTER YUKI. His personality became progressively annoying throughout the series. Him having that personality served no purpose at all. Not to the plot and not to any of the other characters. I also realize that due to the premise of this anime the characters are supposed to be random but there are some that are just annoying and don't add to the plot. Almost like they were just there because. There was also another flaw with the goals and desires of one of the other main characters. Her personality was fine but she's part of the reason the story got so off track. I can't deny that some of the other antagonists/protagonists had pretty good personalities and an actual goal that fit in to create more conflict.

Originality: 7/10 - The premise was definitely interesting. I mean sure we've seen similar premise elsewhere. I'd even go as far to say that it's something akin to Saw except it's not a horror and not as simple. But then once again, the storyline change is what ruins its originality.

Overall
: 5/10 - I know I keep saying it over and over but the main flaws with this anime are the change in story focus points, an annoying main character, and the wrong direction with the other main character's goals. If only those were ironed out, I probably would have given this a perfect 10 outta 10

Anime Review of the Day
February 24th, 2014
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! (A.K.A. Watamote)
No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Unpopular!

Synopsis
Spoiler:
Myanimelist Synopsis by Mu
Kuroki Tomoko is a super popular high school girl who has had 50 years of dating experience and 100 boys...in the Otome game world. In the real world, she is a 15-year-old shut-in who has all of the qualities of a "mojo" (a gloomy or unpopular woman).

However, when school isn't going as she expected, and she isn't as popular as she had thought she would be, she takes a look at herself in the mirror for the first time in a few years, and has some shocking revelations.

Prologue
Spoiler:
For the most part, I'm usually not a fan of the Slice of Life anime genre. The only exceptions are when the main character is either an introvert or is psychologically different than his peers and we get to see why they are different. I think I have seen about 4 anime that is in this genre and I have enjoyed each one.

This one was very fun to watch. Even though the main character is a female and I'm a male, that doesn't change the fact of how much I can enjoy it. In fact. I thought she was more entertaining than some of the other ones I'd seen in similar anime. In my opinion, at it's core, this anime is explaining to you that you can waste your time on trying to be noticed by everyone and trying to be thought of a certain way or you can simply not care and just live your life without too much concern of what people think of you. When you're focused on that kind of stuff, you're missing out on the fun you could have had.

Enough with my lectures though.

As much as I'd like to see a second season of this, I don't think there would truly be any need for it. After all. The Narrator says it himself. It's just a trivial story.

Review
Spoiler:
Story: 6/10 - Although I'd love to give this part a 10/10, the story/plot isn't the main contributor as to why this anime is so enjoyable. There's only so much you can do with a Slice of Life anime.

Music: 7/10 - Once again, with anime such as these, the music isn't meant to be something that catches your ears or stand out. It's just there just to be there and to add a small amount of emphasis as to what's going on. It's not like this anime had terrible music that was screeching in my ear.

Animation: 9/10 - The animation is quite good. I mean there's not much to say here since animation these days have a higher standard, but since it manages to keep me drawn in to the anime, then it's good to me.

Voice Acting (Japanese Dub): 9/10 - I can't help but fall in love with Tomoko's voice. It's so entertaining at how frantic it is at times. Not to mention how cute it sounds XD. The other voice actors were kinda plain but then again, it was probably done like that to make them seem more natural and stay in the background, seeing as how it could potentially draw attention away from Tomoko.

Characters: 10/10 - That FULL ten goes ONLY to Tomoko. If I could give her an eleven I would. To me she's the most entertaining character I've seen in an anime like this. It's also impressive at how she's the absolute main focus of the story and it's still so fun to watch. There are some anime that are just dull with having either few main characters or just one. I usually don't say phrases like this but I gotta say it. She's the most honest and cutest character I've ever seen. Now when I say cute, I'm referring to her personality. Because its like a child that gets caught up and worried about the most trivial of things and they can so frustrated in their own little world, when the reality is, no one's even paying them any attention. Plus the fact that I'm a male makes her even more entertaining because I get to see it from a different perspective and all versus if it woulda been a guy.

Originality: 7/10: Even though this was a very good one, this concept of an introverted character is not all that rare. I know that there aren't a lot of this type of anime but there are enough to say it's not super rare. Trust me, I do believe they did this the best way, but it's not the originality that made this anime good. The concept didn't have to be an original if you can do something that's been done in a far better way.

Overall: 8/10 - It was so close to being a 9/10, but no matter how much I like it, I can't cheat it. This proves that an anime's strong points doesn't have to be in its story or originality. If the character is given enough realism and life then it can absolutely work even better than if it DID have those things. You can have an anime with great music, detailed plot, and could be something that no one had ever thought of before. However if the characters are so boring that you can't even pay attention half the time, then what's the point?

So in closing, I'm not sure what kind of anime you guys like, but if you wanna good laugh and maybe a flashback to some of your awkward and embarrassing moments in school, then this anime would be for you. So that you can learn and understand that things aren't always as serious as they seem to be.
jahob000

Return to Anime & Manga