Feng Should Make a Launcher (Reasons posted)

(●′ω`●) any game ideas are welcome (′~`●) 
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Should Feng Support and Make a Launcher?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes : 22

Feng Should Make a Launcher (Reasons posted)

Postby Suraru » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Just a heads up, I will be talking about modding. If you're a moderator and have a problem with it, talk to me before you do anything stupid, or better yet, actually read this. Unless you're Accelevi, I've probably been here longer than you. This is a thing that needs to be talked about, not just shot and hidden while telling everybody about the body they're not supposed to know about so we tell everybody to tell everybody they aren't supposed to know about it so don't talk about it because that makes sense and now my brain hurts.

Another heads up, I've been away from the forums for a while. I was a larger part of it, reading every single forum post made, but then I got busy, then I quit, then I came back and I'm not going to even bother with everything I've missed. I don't know exactly the current status of everything except the guild I made before multiplayer was released. The search function is useless for this, so I'm going to throw in what I believe to be true, and a workaround. This is technically a suggestion to make the game better, btw.

The reason Feng doesn't want anyone to use a launcher or anything, is because it takes traffic away from his website. The main reason he wants traffic on his website, are because of ads. That is understandable, people like to make money for their work, even if it's not allowed to be directly because of that because of copyright reasons.
The workaround for this is to have some freaking ads in the launcher. He's already gotten some C&Ds from the website, if he made a launcher and distributed it, then it's not like closing his website would stop the game (or stop his ad revenue).

Other Pros?
- Game goes on forever. He can unofficially make updates if it gets to that point.
- Modding support. 'Nough said. It'll also stop most "hackers" because different versions should have different servers.
- Better framerate. Without all those fucking ads on the website, imagine what it'll be like to have cleaner gameplay?

Cons?
- I can't think of any, humor me.
Do I even English sometimes?
"Points hurt, stay pointless!"

OH SHIT MAN! IT'S THE ADMIN!
Suraru
Forum Major

Formerly: Smitty

Re: Feng Should Make a Launcher (Reasons posted)

Postby Accelevi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:24 pm

People will just mod out ads or something probably.

As for mods, mods don't need support, they already exist and spread rampant abuse, or people just don't need them at all in the first place.
I have not seen anyone who used the mods for something besides abuse or name colors, or some bomb mode crap.

And somewhat irrelevant I guess, but threads like these have been made before, but there's nothing recent.
But it gets met with the same response every time, and eventually dies out, so I'm not sure what to make of this one.

No offense to you in particular, Sura, but it won't particularly make the game any better in my opinion.
Just because people have the option to use the launcher doesn't mean they'll use it, they'll just use the mod clients they've got on their own without ads, and much more features, and many people will still want the abusable mods, which defeats the whole point of having the launcher.

The only particular benefit would be the framerate, but where would you put the ads so it wouldn't interrupt the game play?
I'm not really well-versed on this particular ad-thing subject, but if it's able to be placed on the main screen or somewhere besides the actual gaming thing, I guess it's fine.
However, like I said people will still probably get rid of the ads or use a seperate mod client, which means the launcher would only be used by a very small group, because be honest, if the mod has so many more features, almost no one will choose to support Feng and switch over to the more limited launcher, which would only possibly have certain mods added in, and would need approval and all that time-expending stuff.

If a launcher did exist, I'd probably use it for the framerate reason, but the browser works well enough for me, so it's not a major thing anytime soon.

On a side note, I'm not voting, cause I mean, he could, I just don't see the point, but I don't have particularly anything against a launcher.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Suraru » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Ads go in the login screen, kinda like how Minecraft operates.

As for the mods thing, if there was actual modding support (say like, how ArmA 2 works), the game checks the version before playing. If the version isn't the original, then you'd have to download the modded files before playing on that server.

That way people who run vanilla servers are pointed out, and people who do that really fucking annoying titan split thing are pointed out, and people can join (or make) whatever server people want. If people like titan splitting, then they can join the server with the launcher feng releases, and as long as the ads aren't annoying, people wouldn't bother making a different launcher just for that reason.

The only reason you'd need a different launcher is to run a modded server.

Suraru
Forum Major

Postby Zarythe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:36 pm

I don't think ads arent allowed to be in the product itself, thats why there are only ads on the website
Zarythe

Postby Accelevi » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:36 am

Oh right, Feng isn't directly allowed to make a profit off the game, and if I remember correctly, putting ads on the site itself is already pushing it.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby bope » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:33 am

Smitty wrote:.
The workaround for this is to have some freaking ads in the launcher.

To clerify what people have already said is he Is not allowed to have ads on the unity game because of unity licensening issues.
bope

Postby Suraru » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:52 am

Keep ads on the website then. You need to download the launcher from the website, and as long as the launcher isn't self updating, it would require people to hit the website up to actually play the game.

Also, there are ways to have ads on forums that don't suck.

Suraru
Forum Major

Postby Doki » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:22 am

#1 reason it hasn't happened yet is that Feng likes money.

#2 is that Feng is probably too lazy/doesn't want to do it, if he wanted to he would have done it by now. I really would love mod support, more stable game for everyone, all the cool things, but we have to understand that this is Feng's pet project, and so far, he really doesn't show any interest in changing things up, and remain at his own pace. Problem is that this means he gimps the potential of his shitty game. Feng is lucky he has no reel competition over AOT games other than the crappy 3DS game, and that he has a very good 3dmg gameplay, otherwise people would have stopped playing attention long ago. I'm honestly impressed this game has held off for so long, but I can't see it lasting much longer without some big changes, like changing into an open source project or whatever. But you all knew this already ;^)
Doki

Postby bblt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 pm

It might be better and faster but actually i really don't care also I'm disabling my adblocker on AOTTG site because i can't donate to feng and he is probably paying to those photon servers so at least helping to him like this feels nice.
ps. I've been here longer than you.
bblt

Postby Doki » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:27 pm

bblt wrote:It might be better and faster but actually i really don't care also I'm disabling my adblocker on AOTTG site because i can't donate to feng and he is probably paying to those photon servers so at least helping to him like this feels nice.
ps. I've been here longer than you.

Pretty sure you can donate(check the bottom of the game's page), and by the fact that he has gone in 2 trips over the course of a few months(one of them to Japan) makes me think that Feng isn't exactly low on money. Also, if he really needed the money for the photon servers, there would be a donate button that would be less hidden so long time users such as yourself might see it better ;^)

Come on, game's been live for a year now, videos featuring it on Youtube have reached the 1 million threshold, game has steady 1000 visitors per day even in the dead hours, I would imagine most fans of the Anime and Manga have given it a try by now , I highly doubt Feng was paid little for all these page hits.
Doki

Next

Return to Game Suggestions