Better looking Character Customization Menu

(●′ω`●) any game ideas are welcome (′~`●) 
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Your Opinion

Like it
94%
Don't like it
6%

Total votes : 18

Better looking Character Customization Menu

Postby Sampling » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Like I already said in another thread, I don't like how the character customization menu looks and works, so I tried to think of a more aesthetically pleasing and easier functioning menu.

Content:
• General Changes
• General Tab
• Hair, Eyes, Glasses, Face, Costume
• Other
if an image is too small, click on it for a bigger version

General Changes
The first thing I did was putting all the customization options in one window on the left, while pushing the character to the right, so that stuff isn't all over the place and everything looks a bit more ordered.

Then I put the thing to chose between your different presets on top of all the other options. The box should function like a mix between a text box and a drop down menu: if you click on the left part, you can rename the preset, and if you click on the little arrow on the right a dropdown menu opens so that you can chose your other custom characters. I removed the load button, because the character should load automatically when you chose him, having an extra button for that is just annoying and useless. The save button stays the same: you use it to confirm your changes.

Under that there are the actual customization options, with the different categories on the left (I'm not that happy with how they look, but can't think of a better way :() and the actual content, which changes depending on which categorie you have selected, on the right.

I made it so that all the different things to chose are shown in a little preview-square, so that you don't have to click through all of them to find the one you want. The selected one has a golden/orange outline, while the others have a white one.

If you hover with your mouse over a specific item (customization options, specials and other things) a small pop-up appears (like this) which contains a small description or the name of the item.

I renamed the quit button to back, because consistency :D

One thing I didn't put in here, because it would take to much time to edit, is a different background. Having the character just standing in the air isn't the worst, but I think there are better locations that make a bit more sense :D. For example the small sleeping rooms they use in the trainee camp in the 4th/5th episode could be a cool background, but this change isn't really that important.

General Tab
On the top you can chose your gender and character. If you chose male, you'll only get shown the male characters (but not the 3-4 different versions of a character, because then you have to click about 500 times >.<) and male customization options, if you chose female you'll only get to see the female stuff, so we don't waste space.

Chosing your skin tone works like described earlier: you click on one of the prewiev-squares. I added an extra skin tone, because I think it would be cool to have a few more options to chose between, so pls add more feng :P

Distributing your stat points pretty much stays the same, I only made it more visual: You press on the left/right arrow to decrease/increase your points (holding ctrl/shift while clicking should add/subtract 5/10 points, so you don't have to click as much) in a specific stat and the bars dynamically change to represent that. In the picture the max points per stat are 125, but I think it should be raised to 150, so that characters from the show like Annie and Connie can be as good as the others (this could also require the premade chars to be remade, so that they only use 400 points, or Annie etc. get a premade char with 400+ points).
I also think that it could be cool to be able to reduce the points in a stat to 1, so that there can be kill-the-most-titans-with-the-worst-character-competitions or something like that.
Also, while hovering over SPD, GAS, BLA or ALC with your mouse a small description will show up like described above.

The special selection works like the other things: The selected one is highlighted in gold/orange, you chose one with clicking on it and hovering over one gives a small description. Also, I like how the character does the animation when you chose a special, so this should stay :D

Hair, Eyes, Glasses, Face, Costume
You chose what you want like already described.
But there are some new things too: you chose whether you have a cape or not with a checkbox, you can change your eyecolor and how you select your colors: Instead of having three unnamed sliders I instead put in this colorpicker that pretty much all graphic programms use, because this way it's easier to get the color you want. I also put a textbox for the hexcode next to it, so you can save a color you like or get a really specific one. Another possibillity (because people are complaining) is just adding color presets (should look like the skin color ones), so that there aren't any crazy haircolors anymore.

Also, I put beards to the hair category, glasses to eyes and added some new subcategories to face and costume: scars, facepaint, aesthetics (dirt, blood all over your character). This means, you could have a beard, a mouth, facepaint, etc. at the same tim, which could cause some problems with overlappen, so not 100% sure about that one.

Other
I think it could be cool to be able to save/send your character to a friend. IIRC there a games that do this with generating a code depending on what you selected, but I think this will only be necessery if we how a few more things to chose, so maybe something for later.

Also, having cape symbols which only unlock if you achieve somthing really hard, like killing 100 titans in 10 minutes, could be added. So you know that someone is good at this game when you see him/her with this symbol.

Noodlers thread with suggestions for more customiation options: http://fenglee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8677

Edit1:
Rearanged and added some categories

Edit2:
Added unlockable symbols for achieving something hard
Added beeing able to hold ctrl/shift to increase/decrease your stat points faster
Last edited by Sampling on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sampling

Re: Better looking Character Customization Menu

Postby The Rogue Titan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:16 pm

It looks absolutely amazing except I really really really really really don't think Titan Eren should be a special option.
I will kill all of the Titans. All of them! Exterminate them from this Earth. They are my prey now...
RIP Talons of Liberty
. Image
We fought hard but in the end we only succeeded in killing ourselves.

In-game name: A7XRogueTitan
The Rogue Titan

Formerly: A7X Rogue Titan

Postby Sampling » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:19 pm

The Rogue Titan wrote:It looks absolutely amazing except I really really really really really don't think Titan Eren should be a special option.

Erm...oops :D
I didn't even think about that, just added all the specials. Will edit that out asap. Thanks for noticing <3
Sampling

Postby The Rogue Titan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Also, Noodler made another thread with some wanted character customization options. So you could try to do something with that.
I will kill all of the Titans. All of them! Exterminate them from this Earth. They are my prey now...
RIP Talons of Liberty
. Image
We fought hard but in the end we only succeeded in killing ourselves.

In-game name: A7XRogueTitan
The Rogue Titan

Formerly: A7X Rogue Titan

Postby Accelevi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:21 pm

yes for support
nice job once again sampling

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Sampling » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:59 am

Accelevi wrote:yes for support
nice job once again sampling

<3

The Rogue Titan wrote:Also, Noodler made another thread with some wanted character customization options. So you could try to do something with that.

Looked at it, took some stuff like changing eye color, but I don't think my photoshop skills are good enough for adding most of his suggestions without them looking really bad :D
Sampling

Postby Miracle » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:57 am

I don't think any player will disagree to this.
Miracle

Postby Marcotastic » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:50 pm

To be honest, you did a really good damn job on the example menu 0.0
A++ skills.
10/10 would support.
Marcotastic

Return to Game Suggestions