Hilo's Gallery

Post your artworks here~! (๑>ᴗ<๑)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Hilo's Gallery

Postby Hilo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:56 am

So I'm into graphic design as a hobby and as a possible career avenue. These are some of the works I've done throughout high school. Most of these are 1-2 years old, so they aren't really up to date with what I can do now X)
That and I feel like I'm missing a lot of what I used to have...well, these are what I could find.

Typography (two years old)

Hell Frozen Over

^ Only one that I think is half decent enough to show case.

Photomanipulations (two years old)
Eye Design

Sakura Trees

Misc. (just mucking around with some brushes and filters, these are two years old)
Pipe Dream

Sunshine BG

Poster Design
(The spoiler= code wasn't working for some reason. So just a normal spoiler for this one)
Spoiler:

One of the first actual projects I did(four years ago). I couldn't help the curved text in the upper left. My client requested that. I really hated that...the images was the client's choice as well. Had to be in black in white as well.
The Mousetrap recent poster design

Bit of a story to that one ^ and it's also my most recent work. 2 months ago or so.
It was my submission to my school's Drama play. Though the Drama class actually rejected it, and in the end used the one below. There's more to the story, but I'll just go off on a rant if I told it haha.
The poster they used

I may or may not update this later with a few logos.
I made the logo for my town's swimming team a few years back, I don't know where I put that Jpeg...I think I can get it from the school's folder's tomorrow. I also recreated the elementary school's logo. I might post that up later.
Hilo

Re: Hilo's Gallery

Postby Thirdkazekage » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Noice work man, I'm also interested in Graphic Design but I'm still a high school student, gonna get there soon :lol:
Thirdkazekage

Postby Accelevi » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Did you draw the mouse for the Mousetrap one?
It looks really good. The poster looks good in general.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Colopty » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:01 pm

The hell one was pretty funny. Fun fact, Norway has a place named Hell. It sometimes ends up frozen over. Now you know.
I really like that eye, it's a really clear picture, and the lighter lines inside it looks really cool.
The tree ones, still cool, but it's a pretty common type of picture, so it doesn't really stand out. Same could be said for the eye if not for those lighter lines that made it feel a bit newer.
That pipe dream one looks really cool. You made it from scratch? Looks pretty realistic and the packground even shows that the pipe is lying there. Nice!
Sunshine looks really clean, but it's not too different from other background images, and therefore doesn't feel like something special. Not a big fan of the color choice either, it's too bright and therefore not very suited to be looked at for very long. I can only imagine what nightmare it must've been to make the thing, having to stare at it for so long.
First poster is simple, I like that, but it doesn't feel all too original. The whole composition is just something you've seen a million times before.
For the second poster, it simply looks good. The background is simple, easy on the eyes, and gives the whole poster a classy look. It also mixes well with that illustration of a mouse. The text is good and effective. Not a big fan of the stylized letters that are used in the TMT of the title and in the first letter of each line. They seem a bit too much. Simplicity is key here.
Also, they put up that other hackjob of a poster instead of yours? What.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Colopty
Forum Luminary

Formerly: Cephalopod god

Postby Hilo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Thirdkazekage wrote:Noice work man, I'm also interested in Graphic Design but I'm still a high school student, gonna get there soon :lol:

Same. Just practice on your own is the best advice I can give. The tutorials online really help a lot.

Accelevi wrote:Did you draw the mouse for the Mousetrap one?
It looks really good. The poster looks good in general.

Nope, wish I did. I gave credits in the bottom corners. Even if the poster itself is non-profit, I didn't want to take the risk.

Colopty wrote:The hell one was pretty funny. Fun fact, Norway has a place named Hell. It sometimes ends up frozen over. Now you know. - The more you know <3
I really like that eye, it's a really clear picture, and the lighter lines inside it looks really cool. - Thank you :)
The tree ones, still cool, but it's a pretty common type of picture, so it doesn't really stand out. Same could be said for the eye if not for those lighter lines that made it feel a bit newer. - Aye, I was just trying my hand at it.
That pipe dream one looks really cool. You made it from scratch? Looks pretty realistic and the packground even shows that the pipe is lying there. Nice! - Yeap, it was a complete accident X) Though if I recall I added the lighting/shading around it after I got the pipe itself.
Sunshine looks really clean, but it's not too different from other background images, and therefore doesn't feel like something special. Not a big fan of the color choice either, it's too bright and therefore not very suited to be looked at for very long. I can only imagine what nightmare it must've been to make the thing, having to stare at it for so long. - Stared at it for 5-10 minutes at most. It's a template/background thing. I've learned a lot more about spacing and colors since then. It would harsh on the eyes as a BG haha.
First poster is simple, I like that, but it doesn't feel all too original. The whole composition is just something you've seen a million times before. - Aye, I can agree with that. Though 4 years back I was just happy I made the thing X)
For the second poster, it simply looks good. The background is simple, easy on the eyes, and gives the whole poster a classy look. It also mixes well with that illustration of a mouse. The text is good and effective. Not a big fan of the stylized letters that are used in the TMT of the title and in the first letter of each line. They seem a bit too much. Simplicity is key here. - Aye, but I added it to keep a recurring theme throughout the text. I think I could've worked on the spacing a bit though.
Also, they put up that other hackjob of a poster instead of yours? What. -
Well...the story is:
I presented mine to the Drama class to be reviewed along with 20 or so other submissions by the Computer Graphics class. Though that class is full of people who just started using these programs and designing a month ago. But it was rejected. Instead, the drama class wanted me to create a new poster with 6-7 different concepts taking from parts of the other posters. The biggest reason is that the teacher was really pushing to try to include the rest, or at least some, of the other student's ideas incorporated into the poster. One of my earlier drafts of my poster, I put a mouse in a suit, was also asked to be in it.
However, when I started to create the thing, there was just way too many conflicting ideas to make every thing work. Plus, the pictures and symbols they wanted added took up too much space for the text. Worse part is...deadline was the next night of when they assigned it to me. So next morning I talked to the teacher and got 3-4 concepts removed so I could leave more space, and at the same time I told her beforehand if the poster doesn't get finished in time she always has my submission as a backup. The teacher was fine with it, and I finished most of the poster that night. I was only missing the text. I sent it to my teacher anyways and told her I couldn't apply the copy in time.

But the next day after school I saw an entirely different poster hanging up in the local stores and signs. Nobody told me anything about that extra poster. They made it in a day with only 1 actual concept that they asked for previously(the portraits).
Hilo

Postby Colopty » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:02 pm

So they made the guy with a great idea try do include every idea, and when it didn't work out they quickly threw together something that only included a single idea, and it looked horrible? Well, that's clients to ya. :P
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Colopty
Forum Luminary

Formerly: Cephalopod god

Postby Hilo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:50 am

Aye. Can't live with em, can't live without em. <3
Hilo

Postby Dudette » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:42 am

These are pretty nice. I especially like the 'Hell frozen over' one and the 'Sakura trees' one.
Looking forward for your logo designs!
Dudette

Postby Xezys » Sat May 17, 2014 4:07 pm

They all look boss. That signature though, that signature is freaking awesome
Xezys

Postby Xedma » Sat May 17, 2014 6:29 pm

For a second there I thought that Hilo was back. I miss Hilo. I hope he's ok :(
Xedma

Next

Return to Graphic Showcase