Is 3DMG at all possible?

(#°Д°)just off topic! (°ー°〃)
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: Is 3DMG at all possible?

Postby Titanslayer55 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Highly expensive? Not really. The biggest cost problem would be finding people willing to test it. This isn't a Saturn-5 or something,anyone who's intelligent and has like 25000,45,000 dollars to spare could potentially develop it. Think about,how much would it really cost for 2 cables,compressed Co2 canisters,a few belts,and some light weight metals to construct the actual device. If we're just talking about the cost for materials,it would be pretty cheap. Back to solving real issues? Like the deadly cable retraction and the mechanical failures.
Titanslayer55

Postby Accelevi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:40 pm

For the cables, for actual ones that would be good, no, it would not be cheap.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Fuginotory » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Actually the deadly cable retractions could be solved if the cables are made of something that is light enough, the hook hitting you on the head is another story. I suppose if the reeling speed is reduced towards the end of the coiling, the cable will not lash out in all it's fury and destroy you, it will just slide in smoothly, the problem there is making the gear slow down the more it reels, this can easily be solved by using the weight of the cable, the more of it that is coiled, the more weight it puts on the reel, the slower it goes, but that would mean the cable will most likely be one of the heaviest parts of the gear. That said, the cable will probably not weigh more than 3kg on each side.

The way I see it, using titanium is the best way to make most of the gear, it's as tough as steel, but only half the weight, it resists heat and is not very prone to breaking, on top of that it's pretty common, the only problem is that titanium requires special processing in order to actually do anything with it, and special processing means extra cost to do it.
Fuginotory

Postby Terramort » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Well, the do have those large processing facilities for mass producing 3DMG. There is a good chance their industry is geared to working with Titanium (Titanium rich area maybe?) instead of steel, using high pressure/temperature steam.
Terramort

Postby Fuginotory » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:14 pm

I have pondered the issue with the hooks, and came up with a mechanism that will hold the hooks firm as ling as there is tension in the cable, and will release them when the tension is released. It's a bit hard to describe how exactly it would work, and I'm not really good at drawing things out, but basically it works like this:

When the hook hits the wall (or any other object) a spike trigger on its tip is activated, and about a second later the hook opens (the delay is to give it time to penetrate deeper), after that the user's weight is suspended on the hook/cable and the tension mechanism is locked, to unhook you press the firing trigger again, which will release the reels and allow them to release the tension in the cable, this releasing the mechanism and folding the hook, after that all you need to press the reel in trigger to fold your cable. Combine this with the slowing reel as the hook is coiled, and you might have yourself functioning 3DMG. The biggest problem now is that all of the mechanisms required for 3DMG would mean it is too prone to failure.
Fuginotory

Previous

Return to Off-Topic