Is 3DMG at all possible?

(#°Д°)just off topic! (°ー°〃)
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: Is 3DMG at all possible?

Postby Titanslayer55 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 pm

I quite like your ideas, but you're over looking the grandest problem. We simply cannot store enough gas for long time operation of the 3DMG.You might get 2-4 reels but theres simply no way.And if we did somehow find a way to cram more into the canister for hours of operation, the canister would probably way much over 150 pounds (each) People for get that comoresse air still has weight, thus for the amount of compresed gas they contain in the anime they're carrying a good 200-400 pounds on their waist.Not to mention the canisters would need to be practically invincible, or risk exploding and cuting you in half.
In conclusion, in my opinion compressed gas can never and will never be a viable option for real world 3DMG.
Combustion engines are likely the only option (Electric Engines? New graphine batteries are supposed to hold insane amounts of energy)
Titanslayer55

Postby Accelevi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:09 am

How do they even have that much gas in the anime?

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Khally » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:14 am

Well. Technically, it is possible to store that amount of gas without weighing that much. The current problem with storing compressed gas is that the containers have to be massive to withstand the pressure. In the future, this might disappear. If the containers could be made of plastic, they would only be carrying an extra 2kg on each side, maximum :)
Khally

Postby Accelevi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:16 am

Weren't they steel?

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Khally » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:26 am

Yea, and that's the problem with their current setup. If we were to translate it into the real world, we couldn't possibly have them being made of steel :P
Khally

Postby Titanslayer55 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:01 am

Well Khally, it is not "technically possible" to have that amount of gas in a canister and not weigh alot. Take a sponge, its huge about 5 square feet,but it only weighs 5 pounds.Now you use a trash compactor to make is much smaller, one square inch.
Guess how much it will weigh? 5 pounds! And ALL matter obey the same laws of physics, thus 200 pounds of gas that is spread out over 500 square feet, will still weigh 200 pounds if compressed to 1 square foot....PHYSICS!!! :3
Titanslayer55

Postby Khally » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:13 am

Titanslayer55 wrote:Well Khally, it is not "technically possible" to have that amount of gas in a canister and not weigh alot. Take a sponge, its huge about 5 square feet,but it only weighs 5 pounds.Now you use a trash compactor to make is much smaller, one square inch.
Guess how much it will weigh? 5 pounds! And ALL matter obey the same laws of physics, thus 200 pounds of gas that is spread out over 500 square feet, will still weigh 200 pounds if compressed to 1 square foot....PHYSICS!!! :3

Mate, I know my physics ;)

You can compress insane an insane amount of gas and it won't weight much.

Take Helium for example. If you take helium and compress it to 1000 atmospheres in a 69 square cm (7cm radius) x 1m cylinder, at 20ºC, it will weigh a mere 1,1kg. So it's totally fine :)
Khally

Postby Titanslayer55 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:55 am

Helium is incredibly low in density, I'm 100% sure they do not use helium.And I never said you can't have a large amount of gas compressed and weight only a bit.But how far do you think a kilogram of gas could propel 70 kilogram you? Not very far at all, now maybe if you had more of it, but that brings back the weight issue.
Titanslayer55

Postby Khally » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:07 am

Compressed gas has roughly 180x less potential energy than gasoline, if I'm not mistaken. I'm no engineer, so I couldn't possibly debate any further without being able to translate that into motion :p I'll just leave that info there for other to analyze.
Khally

Postby Accelevi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:34 am

They have throwlogicoutthewindowium.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic