Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: Is 3DMG at all possible?

Postby Titanslayer55 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:41 am

Gas is fo' fools! Go gasoline!!
Titanslayer55

Postby Fuginotory » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:11 am

What if the cannisters are made from Titanium, it's just as strong as steel, but its 45% lighter, meaning that if the gear is overall made from it, it would cut the weight in half and still work just fine, even better then if it were made of steel.

From what I've seen in the show, 3DMG is not that lightweight, I mean, it is light, but not that light.

Someone said having containers of gas will not work for hours, but my proposal uses small bursts of gas (I mean small) to activate mechanisms that can harness the power these bursts provide in order to achieve the desired effect, meaning that as long as you don't mash the triggers like crazy you should be able to last almost an hour, and combining running with some 3DMG maneuvering (which they do) when not fighting titans will mean you can save your gas for when you need it.

Naturally carrying the gear will require physical strength, but then so does flying, anyone able to fly would probably be able to run with the gear for a good few miles (like solders in our days have to be able to run with all their gear and equipment, (which depending on the unit and such, can be up to about 45kg). There is also always the risk of explosions when dealing with pressurised gas, but like I said, anyone desperate enough to risk flying around on cables with gear that can fail at any moment and result in their death, all this to fight monsters which will eat you (resulting in your death), is probably least concerned about their cannisters exploding (literally this is the least likely thing to fail).

Gasoline and an engine is not a reliable idea, because just these two things will weigh more then the whole gear I'm proposing, especially a combustion engine, which needs to be solid enough to survive explosions (which occur in its interior).
Fuginotory

Postby Titanslayer55 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Though a combustion engine may not be perfect, gas simply won't work.Small burts? There must be a continuous stream of gas to rotate the fans. A small burst might wind in the cables a few feet,but they seem to be about 100 or more feet long.
And no 15 year old child (Not even fully developed) could run, let alone jump and fly around with 45-50 kilograms on their waist.
And Titanium is a hell of hard to come by, where it seems 3DMG is in no short supply.And the weight of the canister is not my concern, it's the weight of the canisters contents . It's simply not physically possible to contain enough compressed gas for sustained propulsion of a human body without the compressed gas itself to weight hundreds of kilograms.
90% of a rocket is fuel used in getting into orbit,I know it's a terrible analogy, but it would take probably a good 90% of the weight of you and your 3DMG and compressed air to operate for 10 minutes.
If you weight 100 pounds, it would likely take you 900 pounds of gas to get anywhere for extended amounts of time.
Titanslayer55

Postby Khally » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm sorry, but that's pure speculation. Unless you have actual knowledge on propulsion system (I sure as hell don't), that's really just guessing.

1L of gasoline can move a 1 ton car for 20km with a very low relative efficiency rate.
And mentioned before, gasoline has approximately 180x the potential energy of compressed gas.
Compressed gas has a 90% efficiency rate.
By that logic, I can argue that 2L of gas (two canisters, purely speculative; weight won't surpass 2kg) will be able to propel a metric ton for 222 meters. If you get a weight of 100kg for the average user+gear, you get 2,25 km of constant propulsion.

So unless I'm seeing something wrong, that sounds extremely good. I am, of course, approximations. And then again, I might be extremely mistaken.
Khally

Postby Fuginotory » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Obviously you can't fly on just gas alone, especially not without wings. If the fans mechanism is made loose enough, it won't take a lot of effort to make them spin, and when you already have speed they can feed themselves with air to keep them turning longer (just like a car engine can suck up air to cool off). The fans themselves can in some way be linked to the reeling mechanism, winding springs and such, so as they spin they will aid the reeling, and thus improving efficiency.

Again, obviously a 15 year old will have trouble running with 45 kg on them, but that was the weight of IRL soldier equipment, my guess would be that 3DMG weight is somewhere around 20 kg, which strapped to your body is not that much, especially when you are used to running and jumping with it.

Titanium is not at all hard to come by, it's pretty much everywhere, it just takes special processes to extract and mould it, considering that the AoT world is advanced enough to have high pressure gas cannisters, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to acquire Titanium and make manoeuvre gear with it.

A combustion engine on the other hand does not generate propulsion at all, and the fuel you'll need, combined with the weight of the engine itself will be much heavier then gas cannisters, so whatever you can gain by the engine itself will be lost again due to the weight, not to mention that ones that thing heats up you are going to have a bad time if it is strapped to your back/waist. Suicidal equipment is OK, but that's a bit too suicidal.
Fuginotory

Postby Accelevi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:18 pm

The 3DMG hooks could carry you for a good amount of momentum, couldn't it?
Anyways, 3DMG is born from the Law of Cool, not everything's going to fit into RL.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Fuginotory » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:37 pm

That's the whole point of the hooks, the gas boost is actually there (the way I see it) to both lighten the load on your body from the pull, and to lighten the load on your reeling system so it can last longer, that's why using gas would be key, besides, anything that can reel in 100 ft of cable in under 2 seconds can probably pull you well enough to "fly", how you dodge the tossing an twisting of the cable is your own problem though.

From what I gather, it was some friend of Hajime Isayama's, who is an inventor, that created the concept for 3DMG and some of what I gave in this thread was explained in one of the manga chapters, I just had to rework it a bit because it's like you said corporal, it's more of a cool thing then a likely thing, still, I think that if somebody was ambitious enough they could make something like this that would work... Mostly... They would also probably kill themselves with it as soon as it's ready.
Fuginotory

Postby Accelevi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:40 pm

If the cables hit you, would it kill you?

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Fuginotory » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Most likely yes, reeling in as fast as it needs to in order to actually work. if it hits your hand (for example) it will most likely cut it clean off, same goes if it rebounds somehow and hits your head or torso, it will split you right in half, and even if the cable doesn't kill you, the hook most likely will.

It will be like getting hit by ha high tension steel cable that just snapped (I bet you can find some pretty graphics videos of this, if you're into that stuff, or want to get a better idea of what I'm talking about).
Fuginotory

Postby Accelevi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Yeah, that's too dangerous.
There's no way to keep it reeling in perfectly.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic