Is 3DMG at all possible?

(#°Д°)just off topic! (°ー°〃)
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: Is 3DMG at all possible?

Postby Fuginotory » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:12 pm

I think that with enough training and practice you can learn to control and avoid it to a degree, but the amount of skill and focus required to do that, while flying in the air with a very precise balancing act and timed boosts, is just so ridiculous that you would have to be desperate, unable to see any other possible option, to even consider trying something like this.
Fuginotory

Postby Accelevi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Does man-eating Titans count as desperate enough? lol

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Fuginotory » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:01 am

I think part of the idea of 3DMG is to show how desperate humanity is, you have a choice between certain death and almost certain death.
Fuginotory

Postby Accelevi » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:17 pm

The Law of Cool keeps the SnK people from getting killed by their own 3DMG.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Titanslayer55 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:17 pm

The point of this thread is to work out how 3DMG might work in the real world, withstodays technology.So ladies and Gentlemen, shall we begin? The first issue we should brain storm on is the the cable issue.If the cables reel slow enough to just cause severe pain instead of death another issue is created (they may not be ready to fire again before you hit the ground.
Then theres the terrible idea of 4 foot light weight barrels for each firing mechanism (I know it's dreadful isn't it)
Another method could simply giving the trooos full body Kevlar uniforms (Will not reduce the pain...just the death) which will put some hurt on mobility and agility.
Or perhaps a magic device made of tree elves that simply teleports the cable and hooks back into their chamber :3
Titanslayer55

Postby Terramort » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:37 pm

The biggest problems I see with actual 3DMG -

1. The hooks. I'm assuming that they work similar to bike brakes - in internal cable runs the length of a larger cable, and actually slides inside of it in order to set/unset the hook. This gives rise to the problems friction within the cable, how the cable is wound around the coil without creating huge internal friction, and much more weight to the cable.

2. The aiming. Shooting from the hip is hard. Very hard. Much more so as you fly through the air. Apparently, they can aim where your hooks fire by aiming the hilt of your sword, but how is this accomplished?

3. Spine snapping. Better get this one out of the way now. I'm really tired of hearing that 3DMG is impossible because it would pull you and break your spine. Tell, have any of you ever seen bungy jumping? You CAN switch directions fast. Next, I'm sure there is a spinal brace that extends from the 3DMG up the back a little ways. Finally, I'm pretty sure there is a built in clutch, so whenever you would be taking enough g's to actually harm you, the cable slips out further so you don't die.

4. The gas. I'm pretty sure it's not actually gas in the canisters. They exhibit signs of being steam canisters, not gas. And the refilling stations certainly looked a giant boilerworks to me. I'm assuming they use super-high compressed steam (to the point of being water again, but above boiling temps) to power around. This gives rise to the problem of a has malfunction - the amount of steam (or gas) they have in one of those canisters, at that much pressure, would cause quite an explosion. I wonder if any desperate trainee has ever knocked off the valves to the steam canisters to shoot backwards, like he has two torpedoes stuck to his waist?

5. Reliability. It seems hooks fail fairly rarely in the show, but you'd think something like that would fail a little more often. Even if you had a very reliable system, it'd be hard to get your hook reeled back in before you crash. If you've let a tape measure reel itself in, you know that the last few inches of the tape will whip VIOLENTLY upon being almost withdrawn.

Those are the only real big problems I see with 3DMG, and in alternate universe where the laws of physics are just *slightly* different, it may very well be possible to fix these problems. Or maybe some of our resident geniuses can come up with solutions? :D
Terramort

Postby Accelevi » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:28 pm

There's also the lawsuits from destruction and defacing of property.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Titanslayer55 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:20 am

I do quite hate the age old g-force argument. I like your example of bungee jumpjng, though not as instant of a change in direction it gets the poin across.I also believe the reason they often align their bodies parallel with the ground when firing their hooks is to have their spine in line with the cables spreading the G's through the entire spine, instead of just one vertebrae in the case they are aligned vertically with the ground.
If somebody is standing on a skateboard with a rope around their waist and you pull as hard as possible, ther back will bend and it will most likelh hurt, but they lie flat on the board and you tug with the same force, their entire spine will be absorbing the force, instead of just the one or two other wise.
As ab for quick stops they just need extensive training in keeping them selves aligned properly and make it gradual enough to nog cause any damage.If the G's are handled properly a human could come to stop from 60 mph in about 2 seconds, without causing serious pain.(Like a car with excessively good breaks)
Titanslayer55

Postby =_= » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:18 am

Alright I've got some free time, why not engage myself in this intellectual debate and introduce a lot of my "dumb" to it.

I can't really argue against points 1,2,4, and 5 since the 3dmg hasn't been shown in great detail, and I can't really argue against point 3 in great detail, too, since the design of the 3dmg is too vague right now (Even with the light novel series some things are ridiculous).

Just gonna add that the harness belts all over your body are designed to allocate the force from the acceleration to your feet. The 3dmg gear is connected to the belts, which are then connected to each other. Your back wouldn't be much of a problem, your legs, however...

As for the g-force or acceleration, or whatever (the force your body has to endure while accelerating), read this article
Spoiler:
http://www.livescience.com/34128-limits-human-survival.html

You'll have to scroll down a bit though.
=_=

Postby Fuginotory » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:11 pm

A page or two back I explained how you can solve most of the problems of 3DMG, except the part with the cable possibly hitting you when it reels back.

The hook release will be much more reliable if it uses air, the string inside the cable will simply not work unless it is at tension, and you can't keep it at tension at all times, but a thin tube that you can shoot air trough could work, you'll just have to get used to a delay in between the trigger and the hook release, meaning that you would have to press about a second or two before you want to release, otherwise you will crash.

It's not steam they use, because to use steam they would need to keep it at high temperature, if it cools off it will turn back to water, and become useless.

Similar to firing a gun from your waist, you can learn to aim you hooks properly, that part would depend on the user's skill, You'll just need to practice, it's not that hard to learn to shoot properly like that, and no, they don't aim them with the hilt.

Snapping your spine is not likely, since these belts you see all over their bodies are a harness that spreads the pull all over the body, it is not comfortable, but it will prevent your back from breaking, naturally, you'll need to keep your muscles tense in order to prevent injury, and to be able to shift your weight in the air (this is in line with the original design).

Keeping flight will be difficult, but not impossible, when you learn to shift your weight properly you will be able to fly around in a manner similar to what we see in the game, in fact, some times the laws of physics will be in your favour, allowing you to really fly far and fast (kind of like the circus acrobats).

The mechanical complexity of such a device would be very prone to failure, especially the triggers, the low failure rate in the show is most likely due to the fact that a show where everybody flies for a minute then crashes due to mechanical failure will be pretty boring. I suspect that something like this would need most of its moving parts replaced after each 2-3 hours of use, it would need constant maintenance and each part would need to be 100% perfect, otherwise it will fail, and you will die.
Fuginotory

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic