Postby Accelevi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Why would Japan bother?

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Re: Is 3DMG at all possible?

Postby Colopty » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:11 pm

Considering their game shows, the japanese seem to bother doing a great amount of things.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Colopty
Forum Luminary

Formerly: Cephalopod god

Postby Z.E.D » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:50 pm

Anyone saw the dinosaur prank gameshow with the slime slide?......no? I'll se myself out then X)
Z.E.D

Postby Mama » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:20 pm

What is this?
This is not even on-topic. :T
Mama

Postby Fuginotory » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:21 pm

This is the off-topic...
Anyway:
Plausible - Sure
Possible - Possibly
Likely - Nope
Feasible - Not really.
Fuginotory

Postby Mama » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:48 pm

You're being off-topic on this thread. :T
Mama

Postby Fuginotory » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Actually I'm being on topic, I just gave you the TL;DR version of the whole thing.
Fuginotory

Re: Is 3DMG at all possible

Postby Gill Shark » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:02 pm

All those phisics are killing mah brain ~@_e'~
I think that the mythbusters have done something similar, but was more about of the batman rope.
So, why dont we suggest that myth to them, pretty sure that if there is a lot of people supporting the idea they would put it into the show.
Gill Shark

Re: Is 3DMG at all possible

Postby Terramort » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Gill Shark wrote:All those phisics are killing mah brain ~@_e'~
I think that the mythbusters have done something similar, but was more about of the batman rope.
So, why dont we suggest that myth to them, pretty sure that if there is a lot of people supporting the idea they would put it into the show.

As far as pure physics go - yes, 3DMG would be entirely possible, given proper training and gear. However, the advancements required for the gear are a little beyond the world of AoT. I think I have a basic rundown of the features and plausibility of each function of the gear.

Gas Propellant System - Entirely possible. I've seen videos of squirrel divers (sky divers in flying squirrel-like suits) use compressed air canisters to aid in moving through the air. Mythbusters has shown that a compressed oxygen tank has enough force to fly *through* a cinderblock wall.

Physical Requirements - Entirely possible. Free-runners would be excellent candidates for using 3DMG, and in fact, do many of the 3DMG moves without gear, such as running forward, jumping of a building and performing a backflip (while still going forward!) and landing on their feet. As long as the 3DMG gear has a built-in clutch to counteract extreme centripetal force (g-forces), the body runs no risk of straining damage. Bungee jumpers are proof of this.

Cable System - Plausible, given the right materials. The problem being that 200 feet of cable (100 for each side) strong enough to hold a human, withstand constant use, and centripetal force, would be extremely heavy, unless made from silksteel, perfect carboncable, or other similar sci-fi sounding materials that aren't really in mass production yet (i.e. we can only make very tiny strands of carboncable at quite high cost, but it has unmatched tensile strength and flexibility). Of course, in the AoT universe, it's entirely possible that humans discovered an alternate method of making said high-tensile cables, so this definitely shouldn't rule out 3DMG possibility.

Swords - Easily possible. Probably the most realistic part of the show. Swords are super sharp, very hard, so they dull fast. Solution? Bring more blades, reload on the fly! The only flaw is that the blades would have terrible durability to a hard hit or sideways block - but these swords aren't for swordplay, just over-sized boxcutters. They do their job, and do it well.

Harness - Seems pretty good idea to me. Strap yourself into gear, which then gives your full control via cables on your waist. I'd imagine you can get excellent striking power by bracing against your straps when attack with the swords.

Hooking System - Here is where we run into problems. I just don't see a realistic way of reliably hooking into an object, AND having a reliable release mechanism. There is the cable-in-a-cable option (think: bicycle hand brakes), but that would drastically increase the weight of the cables, add a huge moving part susceptible to wear and tear due to always coiling/uncoiling, and would greatly reduce cable flexibility. A secondary outer cable wouldn't work very well at all - if it got caught on something, you could end up permanently anchored to something. An electrical pulse is plausible - the hook is set to expand once it enters a wall, powered by kinetic force (generated by smashing into said wall) to override a high-powered spring. Upon using the release, a small electrical charge (powered by a tiny gas generator in the gear) runs through the cable and releases the locking mechanism, allowing the spring to snap the grapple closed again. The problem is the sheer amount force required to spring open the grapple far enough to prevent slippage would be tremendous, at least on stone walls. It's also possible the each hook contains a small gas canister, which is recharged from the 3DMG belt each reel-in, that springs the grapple open/close. It's entirely implausible that gas runs through the length of the whole cable, as one hole would mean the end of your grapple system.

All-in-all, given the right circumstances, desperation, and access to materials, 3DMG is entirely possible. The only *real* problem I see is the grapple having enough force to penetrate, and hold, stone walls. One ideas is that there is a spike in the hook, and upon touching the stone wall, the spike is driven forward out of the hook at extreme speed (think: button on front of hook, button gets pressed, giant spike comes out from hook, utilizing hooks speed to prevent bounceback and spike penetrates wall) using gas charged by the belt.

Ah, seems like I'm rambling now. I'll stop the wall of text and see what you all have to say.
Terramort

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic