Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Re: Is 3DMG at all possible?

Postby Mama » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Terramort, you shouldn't waste your free time like that XD
Mama

Postby Senpai » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Terramort should be a part of the mythbuster team and/ japanese game show that might or might not want to develop this. :lol:
Senpai

Postby Terramort » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Senpai wrote:Terramort should be a part of the mythbuster team and/ japanese game show that might or might not want to develop this. :lol:

You have no idea how much I would love to be a part of the Mythbuster's team.
Terramort

Postby Fuginotory » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 am

in my post a few pages back I pretty much said the same thing you did now Terra, except I explained some ideas on how the components might actually work, and the only real problems I saw were holding the wall, releasing and avoiding being hit by the cable reeling in. Another thing was that such gear, no matter how plausible, would be extremely prone to failure, a small malfunction anywhere on it will mean you're done.

I like your electric pulse idea, but looking at the AoT universe, it looks like they don't really have electricity yet, so an electric pulse is not likely. The only alternative I can think of is a very narrow tube within the cable that flows gas to the hook when you wish to release. The obvious problem here is that a hole would essentially kill the whole system, but if made well enough I think you can be fairly certain that a hole somewhere along the length of the tube is the least of your problems. The only major problem I see is that such a mechanism would have a delay of at least a second or two if it needs to send a small jet of pressurised gas or air (air, because in my initial post I addressed the possibility of the gear using not only gas, but also air).
Fuginotory

Postby Titanslayer55 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:46 pm

My idea opinion on the hooking issues is as follows,say you're on a skateboard.You throw a hook into say a mound of wet sand.You slowly real yourself in (Reeling slowly prevents you from yanking the hook out of the sand) Now you continuously gain speed at a fairly constant rate as you reach the mound of sand and go past it you have enough speed and force to easily yank it out and keep moving (Only having lost a small amount of your built up momentum) This should work fairly consistently with 3DMG and say a stone wall. As you gradually accelerate and pass the anchor point you have enough force to rip it from it's hold. Reeling to fast might apply to much force causing the hooks to detach prematurely. We're all looking at the hooks issue this way,"How do we get it to unhook?" But I think a better way to see it is,"How do we get it to stay hooked?"

That's just my two cents though :/ i'm no physicist.
Titanslayer55

Postby Titanslayer55 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:51 pm

My mind has been reeling for a solution about the issue on retracting your cables without being sliced in half by a speeding cable. Only thing I've come up with is slowing down the reel time,or wearing medieval armour... So yeah lots of work to be done on that front.
Titanslayer55

Postby Fuginotory » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Nice idea Slayer, but you're missing one crucial detail, some people have unhooked while stationary, on many occasions at that. It's pretty obvious that with speed and weight you can unhook, but there is some mechanism that allows the hooks to remain undamaged, and that is what we are trying to figure out: How does it unhook only when they want it to?
Fuginotory

Postby Titanslayer55 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Maybe a really violent pelvic thrust? XD I never intended for the outcome of this topic to be a 100% replica of the anime 3DMG.
So possibly if you want to detach while stationary you reel up about 20 feet, then drop while extending the cables. In convenient, yes, but solves the practical issues of running gas or a secondary cable through the primary.
Titanslayer55

Postby Fuginotory » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Yes, but I've also seen people that are out of gas, their hooks just stayed attached to the wall. I suppose there could be different speeds at which the cable can reel, and if you use the fastest it releases some mechanism that requires a certain amount of force to trigger. I figured you were not thinking of a 100% replica, but I'd like to try to get it as close as possible before I resort to modern technology that does not exist in the AoT universe.
Fuginotory

Postby Gill Shark » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:48 am

Well, I think is kinda obvious that we cant do a 100% AOT similar 3DMG. Cause like, after all its a anime '-', where all its possible. If we were to do an equal to the real 3DMG, then we would need to guess at wich "step" of mecanic evolution they were.... they dont even have eletric energy .--.
But, I think, that is completely possible to make a 3DMG system, but with more improvments and using the technology we have nowadays.
The problem is that would be really, really expensive to build one, mostly because of the research, the materials, and the group of people you would need in the building team.
So, its possible, if we find a Tony Stark like in real life
Gill Shark

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic