What to use for my apparatus for Science Expt?

(#°Д°)just off topic! (°ー°〃)
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

What to use for my apparatus for Science Expt?

Postby Peanuts » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Basically, I'm thinking of dropping an object into tap water and finding out the depth of penetration of it (Don't think dirty xD)

but, the thing is,

AS my drop height is kept constant, I plan to change the mass of that object, but still keep the area of impact of that object the same, to keep that variable constant. This object must be able to sink into water then float back up again, not like a ping-pong ball which hits the surface and stays there :O

I tried using bubble-tea straws, and filling it with sand,
So, I can vary the mass, and still keep the impact area constant.
Problem is, straws are too long, and I don't have a big enough tank for that :O
and if I used straws that are too short, it becomes unbalanced, and goes haywire.

So any ideas?

P.S If you know any good forums that discusses these types of questions, please link it in your post. :O
Peanuts

Re: What to use for my apparatus for Science Expt?

Postby Khally » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Hmm I find it hard to imagine using any type of container, since the material inside could move around during the fall/impact, which might ruin the whole thing. Varying the mass while not changing the area of impact really is the tricky part.

Have you tried pencils?
Khally

Postby =_= » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Pencils won't work for this type of thing since they all have similar density to each other.

Since the straw was supposed to be used as a container for varying amounts of sand (to vary the density), why not make a improvised, small container that can hold sand?

Could be two plastic bottle caps glued together, could be one of those kinder surprise egg toy containers. Those should be small enough to fit in the tank, give a constantly same area of impact, and have varying mass value since it's fillable with sand.

As for the forum thing, sorry, this is the only forum I know. XD
=_=

Postby Accelevi » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Wouldn't it have to be even in shape for it to hit same area each time?
Maybe if it's mass, different size marbles?

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Peanuts » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:04 pm

=_= wrote:Pencils won't work for this type of thing since they all have similar density to each other.

Since the straw was supposed to be used as a container for varying amounts of sand (to vary the density), why not make a improvised, small container that can hold sand?

Could be two plastic bottle caps glued together, could be one of those kinder surprise egg toy containers. Those should be small enough to fit in the tank, give a constantly same area of impact, and have varying mass value since it's fillable with sand.

As for the forum thing, sorry, this is the only forum I know. XD

oh yea, perhaps a small cylinder might work but not too small? as I have to change the mass at least 10 times for varied results, any daily household items I could use?

Toilet rolls? Nah, not waterproof xD
Peanuts

Postby =_= » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:11 pm

If it comes to materials you can easily make/come across in daily life, perhaps toy capsules could work, or depending on how big the tank is, you could use small plastic bottles (coke bottles, water bottles, etc.). Or maybe even test tubes, if any institution or school near you has some that you can borrow.

Depends on what you can easily find and where you live. Your tank size matters, too.
=_=

Postby Peanuts » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:33 pm

=_= wrote:If it comes to materials you can easily make/come across in daily life, perhaps toy capsules could work, or depending on how big the tank is, you could use small plastic bottles (coke bottles, water bottles, etc.). Or maybe even test tubes, if any institution or school near you has some that you can borrow.

Depends on what you can easily find and where you live. Your tank size matters, too.

I see, thanks!

The tank T_T

My school has a 3x X 15+ X 20+ cm tank that I can borrow, but apparently it's too small lol haha

And, I probably need 2-3 times bigger of that container too, problem is, I don't want to spend too much on getting such a big tank lol

My friend suggested this crazy idea of doing in a swimming pool lol, haha
Peanuts

Postby =_= » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:41 pm

That's a really thin tank... O_o

If your school does have a swimming pool, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Or you could maybe get a bucket? XD

Hope I helped somehow, and good luck on your science experiment!
=_=

Postby KawaiiEldo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:03 pm

I think you had a good idea with the bubble tea straw since they are a decent size with regard to width. So you can change the weight pretty good with the addition of sand. What you need to do is since the straw is too long cut it to the length that you want.

And since the sand "might" move during impact you can plug the ends of it with a small cork of some type. Maybe one of those really big pencil's erasers? I would think that might be a close size to a bubble tea straw. Just remember to make appropriate calculations and weigh your cork / whatever you use to clog the hole.

If you have any left-over wine bottles or just feel like getting happy one night you can use the left over cork to carve you out something that will fit exactly as you need it.

Also, if you are in need of a bigger container of water, maybe your sink could work? Unless you have to recreate or show the experiment in front of others. Then yea, I would see how you couldn't transport your sink =P

Good luck, let us know the results ^^
KawaiiEldo

Return to Off-Topic