3DS 3DM.

(#°Д°)just off topic! (°ー°〃)
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

3DS 3DM.

Postby Tyrant Valvatorez » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:46 pm

So I've been watching some gameplay of the new Attack On Titan game, and I thought It would be best to tell you all how the 3DM looks In that game and some other things I found Interesting.

First off, there Is aiming In this game, It's not just shooting at Invisible buildings with the press of a button.
Second, there's a DLC Levi story, and It seems to be more than just the Female Titan fight so have fun.
Third, I hope you like D.O.A, because It's blaring during the first few missions.
Forth, the stories are linked, so once Eren gets nommed you're forced to play as Mikasa to do missions, of course you get more missions for Eren eventually.

Overall, It seems to be similar to this game actually, pressing "R" just seems to do a blind shot In the direction you're facing, that can get you to and from and raise you up If the geography Is correct.
Holding "R" lets you aim your hooks, and using the Circle Pad seems to move your cursor, while some other force I can't find out about launches them.
This Is where the similarity ends, because the hooks In the 3DS game are a lot more accurate, shooting you In a straight line at what you shot with a slight curve depending on where you are In correlation with the hook, rather then the swing In this game, moving In midair Involves using gas boosts to force your character In a direction you choose.
There Is difficulty In using 3DM In this game however, but rather then getting stuck on Titans and having lack of power, It's the sheer power the 3DM In this game has that can be harmful, you'll find yourself flying around banging yourself on every wall If you aren't aware of what you're doing.

Hunting Titans Is also different, pressing "L" will lock onto their weak spots, either the nape or other spots that can be cut and do damage like the ankle or the hands, and pressing Left and Right on the d-pad will switch between targets.
While hooked behind a Titan, you move around the back, dodging any Interference, when you feel It's right to attack, pressing "Y" will pull you In and start a QTE, wait for the circles to align and press "X" and you'll kill It with a critical, there seems to be a set range that you need to press, because you'll need to wait longer depending on the distance you start your launch from.
The size of the target circle depends on how much an advantage you have to the nape, with the circle being largest behind the Titans, and being near Impossible at the front.

After you kill a Titan you'll start a chain, where If you try to go for the neck of another Titan the circle will be harder to fit Into, but on the plus side you'll get a higher score and an even more awesome attack, such as the character spinning like a Beyblade.

Now what I'm sure you're Interested In, getting hit.
There are two categories, hits and grabs.
Getting hit, either from flailing arms or Colossal steam will hurt your character, reducing their speed. They're recover after a short while, although you can heal even faster using Items you find In boxes around the map such as gauze.
Getting grabbed Is a different matter, once you're grabbed you can wiggle the circle pad to free yourself, but It seems very difficult and I've yet to see someone pull It off. Although, I do have a theory that the difficulty Is related to the size of the Titan because I've yet to see someone get caught by the smaller ones.

I'll end this with what you're all dying to learn about, Titan Eren.
Yes, he's playable, and It seems you can be him In any mission, but I'm not sure If there's a condition, I read something about a ring Item that will transform you, but I'm still doing more research Into this.
He has a simple control scheme, walk, hold "R" and walk to dash, "X" attacks and can be linked with the dash to do a dash attack, "B" does a backstep and "Y" guards. Eren has a time limit for his transformation, and you'll lose time If you get hit. Depending on the mission you can get a game over If you run out of time. When Eren attacks he can either knock a Titan down, or If It hits properly punch the head clean off. If the Titan Is knocked down Eren can go over and attack again, stomping on the head killing It.
And don't you cry Accelevi, because both Erens are equally deadly against Titans.

So tl;dr, the 3DS game Is looking pretty damn good.
Tyrant Valvatorez

Re: 3DS 3DM.

Postby Fuginotory » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Oh yeah, I've been keeping my ear to the ground about it too, and from what I've seen so far it seems like they had some good ideas, and some really terrible ones (that camera positioning is horrible).

They seem to have simplified the use of 3DMG to make the game more dynamic, unfortunately that raised the need for what I think is an atrocity committed against the game... Quick time events...

QTE aside, I was really unhappy to find that they didn't even bother making a single cinematic, they just went and cut parts of the anime, and implemented them in the game instead, I've seen that done in a game before and hated it, because it feels like they just rushed it out the door.

The controls are horrific, but that is nothing new, I thought the same about AoTTG at first, but at least in AoTTG I could improve my skills, whiles here the entirety of the combat is reduced to timing (it's like Asura's Wrath all over again).

The graphics were nothing to write home about, but I don't care that much for graphics so I am not phased in the least by them, the only real problem I have with the graphics is the fact titans look like super models, even the fat ones (trying to make anime style CGI almost never works).

Camera positioning is horrible, you can hardly see anything, and half of your screen is a blind spot, this is done for the sake of dynamics, putting the camera closer to the character makes the action seem more dynamic, but honestly I think it would have been better if it was a bit further back, I mean, its a lot better when you get some swing speed and the camera falls behind, because you can actually see, and that helps you not become wall "sama" (it prevents crashing).

Combat feels a bit more dynamic when you move around the battlefield, but that QTE (smite this abomination). It's a lot easier to look fancy while fighting, but it is all automatic so there is no real sense of personal accomplishment, just a sense of how awesome the character looks (curse you QTE).

Titan smash attacks blowing you away and injuring you really gets on my nerves, I've always hated that thing where an enemy would smash the ground and hurt you, I mean, I understand loving your mother Earth, but that's just ridiculous. I do however, like that the main reason you die is because you got eaten (chow time).

There seems to be nothing character specific in the game, aside from Eren's transformation, but I only got the "crash course", if you will, so I can't tell if there is a difference between characters.

Overall the game looks entertaining, but I think they could have done a lot better if they were not in such a hurry to release it, but I suppose you can't really demand more for 60$ (or can you?).

On a side note: I think I like the chibi graphics better, but that might be because chibi Mikasa is cute and deadly, and I like cute and deadly, still...
Spoiler:
YAY FOR CHIBI!!!
Fuginotory

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Sthap making log posts ;_;
Annie Leonhardt

Postby Fuginotory » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Short version for Aiden:

3DMG is too simplified, leading to the need of QTE, which I hate.
It has some good ideas, but overall could be better.
Camera positioning is horrific.
Chibi Mikasa is cute and deadly.
Yay for chibi.
Fuginotory

Postby Accelevi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Is there any way to make 3DMG more complex without making it insanely hard?

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Tyrant Valvatorez » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Aiden wrote:Sthap making log posts ;_;

I gave you a tl;dr, what more do you want?!
Also I don't see what people have against QTEs, I think they're a fair part of gameplay.
Tyrant Valvatorez

Postby Fuginotory » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:23 pm

People in general are not against QTE, I am, I find it a boring way to make something "dynamic", and for me it feels like a cheap way to make something look like it requires some actual skill.

They could make it not require QTE. Feng did after all. Since when are you against insanely hard? Or should I say: Who are you and what have you done with Accelevi?
Fuginotory

Postby Accelevi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:54 pm

QTEs take a lot of the skill factor out.
And the controls for the computer are too much for a 3DS. And being hard is good, but I don't mean pointlessly hard.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Fuginotory » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Well yeah, I suppose they would need to simplify to some point, but the way they made it... Sure, it's just like in the anime, you hook and fly right there, but it takes no actual skill to do it, as soon as you get used to dodging the walls you are all set. I think they could have made it hard enough, without making it so hardcore that it makes Ninja Gaiden look like child's play.
Fuginotory

Postby Accelevi » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Yeah, it's disappointing.
Feng did a much better job in general.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Next

Return to Off-Topic