Japanese Group Learning HAS STARTED! :D (Currently 5 People)

(#°Д°)just off topic! (°ー°〃)
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Japanese Group Learning HAS STARTED! :D (Currently 5 People)

Postby jahob000 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:22 am

Hey guys so I've been wanting to learn Japanese for the longest time. I kept putting it off simply because when I am at home I am very lazy and lack self discipline. I can't afford to go to a class and do it because Yes. I am THAT broke. So anyways I started teaching myself last year and was actually doing pretty well but I've been slacking again. Even though it's fun to learn, I want to learn it with someone or something. I doubt I'll find anybody here that wants to learn or anybody that can teach. Well never say never I guess.

So anyway I figure I'd make this thread into like a Group Self Teaching Japanese Language class. If it turns out that I'm the one that's the furthest along in the forums, I can play a role like a cheaply paid substitute teacher and give you helpful tools and tips that I learned when I first started. Not that I'm all that far ahead. So anyway I want to have somebody to learn this with, whether it's on Skype, or on here. Just in case there is someone here that wants to learn it with me and help form like a little group or something then here's my Skype.

Jahob000.

I also host games and have an AOTTG group so make sure when you message me or add me that you specify which it's for. In fact, an easier way to do this is for you to just say something using Japanese characters when you message me. Also I apologize before hand if I don't get to your messages right away because I''m constantly trying to teach people how to host in my group so sometimes forget. So please be patient. Thank you! :)

Alright guys. Later!

EDIT: I guess I should say something in Japanese that I know. Umm...Ha Ji me ma shi te (はじめまして) which I think is Nice to meet you. Yo ro shi ku (よろしく) Please be good to me. I think I did that right. XD

UPDATE: I want this to be kinda natural so there won't really be anything constraining like a super set schedule or anything like that, Just hop on whenever. It'll be like we're all learning on our own but can come together if we want to. We can use mics or not use mics. I myself prefer not to use mics because I have thin walls and a loud voice so I'd be disturbing people.

However I do wanna try and set a day of the week where we all get together and try to commit at least 20 minutes to the group like a class session or something. Maybe asking questions, doing some small learning exercises. I'll come up with something. Anyway. I wanna start with Hiragana or Katakana characters first whether someone already knows it or not because it's a good solid base to start a foundation. Plus It's always good to do a refresher.

I want to get at least 3 people before we "Officially" start the group lessons/exercises etc. Once I get at least that amount then we'll be able to have a set date/time.

UPDATE 2: So with myself included, the group now has 5 people. So that's enough to get started. It may be a little unorganized at first but like I said, I just wanna feel it out and just do what's most enjoyable for everyone. I'll try to come up with little games and what not to refresh everyone's memory including mine.

UPDATE 2/04/14: The most recent update will be in blue

So now that the group has gotten under way, I've been coming up with a few tools and ideas to get us that have been slacking up to speed.

The first game I made is a very simple one. As we go about our basic and general conversation, every once in a while some of our sentences or the sentence itself will have to include a word that is written in Hiragana or Katakana that is an English word but sounded out as a Japanese native would say it.

Confused? Let me demonstrate.

So let's say I wanted to say "Hello, how are you?" as if a Japanese native was trying to speak English. If you sound out how they would say the sounds, then it would sound something like this or close to it "Herro, ha wa yoo?" Right? In Romaji it would be written like this "HE RO, HA WA YU".

So I would put へろ はわ ゆ for the Hiragana or ヘロ ハワ ユ for the Katakana
and the other people in the group have to try and figure out what the word or sentence was. As I already said, It doesn't have to be a whole sentence but can be just a word. So I can also write it like this "Hello, How are ?" or "Hello, How are ?" Both of those sounds are "YU". That's not how you say "You" in Japanese but merely how it sounds when a Japanese native says our English "You"

This first game is NOT to teach you Japanese words. This is only the first game and is just to get yourself familiar with Japanese sounds and the basic characters that are used in Japanese. The sounding out part shouldn't be too difficult for some of you since you are used to hearing Japanese sounds due to watching so much anime.

We will also be using a Drawing program that works with Skype so that we can all actively practice writing out Hiragana and Katakana together. It's called IDroo Which you can get here

http://www.idroo.com/license

Also here is a brief look at the activity of what goes on

Spoiler:

I have plenty of tools and links that can help you and will be on the look out for more useful ones such as, Character charts, Japanese Keyboards, Kanji Dictionaries and more.

So yeah. Things will shape up more as we go along and there will be more things to learn and do. I will try to keep this thread up to date of what's goin on and what not. Once again don't hesitate to join in.
Last edited by jahob000 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 13 times in total.
jahob000

Re: Japanese?

Postby Peanuts » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Mary get your ass here :lol:

日本語がわかりません  :cry:
Peanuts

Postby jahob000 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Peanuts wrote:Mary get your ass here :lol:

Lol this proves how lazy I am. I was almost gonna go to Google Translate for that.

I know that the first two kanji means Nihon for Japanese. I don't know the third Kanji at all. Then I think it's...Ga wa ka ri ma se n. Gawakarimasen In which I have no idea what that means. :P. I know "Please" or something similar to that is in there.
jahob000

Postby Levvuny » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:37 pm

It's cool that you are learning it too! I started this Christmas, so I'm not that far, but at least I pretty much got Hiragana down. Right now I'm trying to teach myself Katakana, but I've been a little bit lazy and have only been doing grammar. :P

It would be super cool if we could help each other learn Japanese! I can't make really any good sentence yet, so here, have this. ありがとうございます

Sadly, today I can't even do the Japanese lesson I wanted to do, because the thing I learn Japanese on is gone today. :/ (I could do grammar, but I really need more words right now, lol)
Levvuny

Postby Teitoto » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Peanuts wrote:Mary get your ass here :lol:

Why Mary only :< !

わたしも にほんご が しゃべる !! (meibi)
Teitoto

Postby Levvuny » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 pm

You guys know to much Japanese compared to me, dangit. :P How long have you been practicing Japanese Teitoto? I just probably need practice before I can do better sentences, haha.
Levvuny

Postby Accelevi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 pm

I could pick it up decently I guess.
It's relatively similar to Korean in aspects.
But I'm so lazy.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Levvuny » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:57 pm

You know Korean? The only hard part about Japanese is all of the different alphabets, over then that grammar and learning the words are really easy.
Levvuny

Postby Accelevi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana, yes.
As far as I remember, Katakana was for phonetics (like for example something brought over from English), Kanji was more of a symbolic type (each character means something, for example, character A means moon, etc), and I don't specifically remember what Hiragana was for, but judging from the other two, I'd assume it to be the basic?

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Levvuny » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:28 pm

Ding ding ding! Correct! I'm starting to learn Katakana now.
Levvuny

Next

Return to Off-Topic