Guitar? Any tips for beginners? :)

(#°Д°)just off topic! (°ー°〃)
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Guitar? Any tips for beginners? :)

Postby Sylvy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Been playing too much aottg lately, so I need a new hobby. I've decided to get back into guitar.

I'm a beginner, but I've been playing music for nearly 8 years (oboe, drums) so I know my way around music for the most part. But is there a secret to learning the guitar?

I know that practicing will make me better, but how and what do you practice to become good.

Please don't tell me to youtube it or google it. I'm quite updated and I realize that youtube is a vast wealth of guitar information, but my question is. If you are an experienced player, how did YOU become good and do you have any tips for a beginner like myself?

For example:
Practice chords Any techniques you recommend?
Practice songs Which songs would you recommend for a beginner to learn?
Practice scales What's the best way to practice scales? Going up and down each one and memorizing? or just doing it for finger exercises?

Is there an easier way to memorize notes? Cause I get totally lost on the frets x.x
I've been using the website ultimateguitar for chords to play along to music. Any other great websites you guys recommend?

I have an acoustic guitar btw. Hoping to one day learn to play classical music! :)

Idk really, just a place to discuss guitar in general for beginners :)
Sylvy

Re: Guitar? Any tips for beginners? :)

Postby ToxicPaste » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm a bassist currently, so my advice won't be as useful, anyway... As for websites, UltimateGuitar is probably the best of its kind, obviously YouTube is useful too.
When I did play electric guitar when I was like 9 or 10, I found switching between chords the hard part, so all I did was switch in between 2 chords over and over again and I eventually got used to it. Also, use a pick, shit helps.
Getting lost on the frets is easy to overcome over time, the little dots help you a bunch. I know you play acoustic, but I learned most of my guitar from Pink Floyd's album The Wall. Great album for learning. I however have lost all of my knowledge of actually playing guitar.

Again, maybe not that useful but I tried ^^ Playing bass is much different than guitar than you'd think :/
ToxicPaste

Postby Colopty » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Do this on a guitar and I will be surprised if any song challenges you again
Good luck.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Colopty
Forum Luminary

Formerly: Cephalopod god

Postby TheRiz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:14 am

i took a guitar class as my arts credit for high school last year, we played guitar everyday for 75 minutes and I still consider myself a beginner, guitar is just aloooooooooooooooooooot of practice
TheRiz

Return to Off-Topic