Eternal Huge Lag Spike strikes even on good connection

╮(╯_╰)╭ ok...I know there're tons of bugs....( ̄▽ ̄)~*
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Eternal Huge Lag Spike strikes even on good connection

Postby Cookie_Dynamics » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Hello there everyone,

I would greatly appreciate any kind of support in this issue.

Regardless of my ping (I've had this issue in games with my bing around 50ms, for example)... it seems that in some games (most games, actually) after some time the following thing happens:

1) The titans become still or locked in place while walking
2) All the other players become still as well...Even if they are on air.
3) Everybody stops answering my questions...
4) The titans become immortals...

As if I had hit A HUGE and eternal lag spike...

I don't think this has to do with my internet since, as I said, this also happens out of nowhere in games where I have almost 0 lag.

What could be causing this?

I tried cleaning all my internet data, to redownload the game.... to no avail.

This is being so frustrating I can't really express in words. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes to happen... sometimes it happens as I start the game... sometimes it takes 30 seconds...

But it happens often.
Cookie_Dynamics

Re: Eternal Huge Lag Spike strikes even on good connection

Postby Khally » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:41 pm

1. It's your connection.
2. The concept of "ping" tells you how long it takes for the message to reach the server and back to you. So basically, virtual distance.
3. Having a low ping means your data reaches the server faster. It doesn't mean you have a better connection. Meaning, you can have the worst connection is the world and your ping may still be 20ms.

Having that said, there are three possible reasons:

a) Your Internet Service Provider (ISP), which isn't as reliable as it should, making your connection unstable.
b) Your router.
c) Your own computer, possibly running applications in the background which cause lag spikes, which cause you to desynchronize from the server.

I hope it helps understanding the issue a bit more.
Khally

Postby Cookie_Dynamics » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:42 am

Khally wrote:1. It's your connection.
2. The concept of "ping" tells you how long it takes for the message to reach the server and back to you. So basically, virtual distance.
3. Having a low ping means your data reaches the server faster. It doesn't mean you have a better connection. Meaning, you can have the worst connection is the world and your ping may still be 20ms.

Having that said, there are three possible reasons:

a) Your Internet Service Provider (ISP), which isn't as reliable as it should, making your connection unstable.
b) Your router.
c) Your own computer, possibly running applications in the background which cause lag spikes, which cause you to desynchronize from the server.

I hope it helps understanding the issue a bit more.

Thank you once again, Khally.

You're constantly helping me around here. Thanks for being so patient.

I guess I'll call my provider and post some complains then.

But keep in mind that I was constantly performing checks from time to time in a site that would study:

1) Latency
2) Jitter
3) TCP upload/download
4) UDP upload/download

And it kept saying that that all these had acceptable values.

When I call the ISP... what would you suggest I tell them?

PS: I totally thought Ping had to do with how good the connection was hahah. We live and we learn.
Cookie_Dynamics

Postby Khally » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:41 am

Unfortunately, I don't know of any methods to pinpoint the problem.. It can be so many things.
And all you need is one single spike after tens minutes of playing, so checking those regularly probably wouldn't tell you anything.

Regarding calling your ISP, I honestly doubt it'll do any good. But, if you decide to call them, you can try saying you have random spikes once in a while and it disconnects you from servers. Maybe they'll be able to see something on their end.
Khally

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:58 pm

This happens to me when the hoster disconnects.
Peanuts had the same problem. Yes, it may be from what Khally said.
Annie Leonhardt

Postby Sylvy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Just wondering, do you lag in single player as well? If so, it could be your computer... but anyways...

From my experience, these types of lag outs are pretty unavoidable. There are only a number of good hosts out there. Just because your ping is low doesn't necessarily mean you won't lag. It's also dependent on the hosters internet, if he's able to even host. Their internet just isnt uploading enough info to everyone playing fast enough. I've been in tons of games where i had low ping(40-90) and still lagged out on the first wave. It happens XD But for example, khally's lobby, I get over 150 ping, but still manage to play till lvl 20 waves with 14 ish other people. It's just the luck of the draw haha. Ping is only part of the issue.
Sylvy

Postby higurashimerlin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:19 pm

I've have had this problem before. It has happen when I was in the same room as the host.
higurashimerlin

Postby Accelevi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 am

It could just be a desync.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Return to Bug Reports