Newbie Post Requirement Pushed Up to 10

(☞゚∀゚)☞ Make sure you stay up to date on these. You cannot post here.
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

Newbie Post Requirement Pushed Up to 10

Postby Accelevi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:25 am

5 didn't seem to be working out, and 10 is a nice round number, so we can try that out for a bit and see how it goes before deciding.

Also, with how Registered Users can post in Newbie Area now, I expect you not to spam.
Do so, and I will be exceedingly harsh.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Re: Newbie Post Requirement Pushed Up to 10

Postby Wheaters » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:31 am

Well, nice to see some experimentation (whether it ends badly or not). Hopefully this is a good balance. I remember when it was 15 and I just basically repeated the same thing over and over again to make my post seem longer and more thoughtful than they actually were. Then again, It did take me a month to figure out that I could only post in the newbie section.
Wheaters

Postby Noodler » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:52 am

Good job, kitty heichou ^w^
Noodler

Postby Azure Sky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Not too little and not too much.
I think this will work out a bit better than 5.
Azure Sky

Postby Xupicor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:33 am

Oh, what a surprise, I can actually leave a reply here. Well... Care to shed some light on how exactly it "didn't seem to be working out"? Or what good exactly does this limitation do?

And just by the way, where I'm from deleting posts without leaving a single comment about it, or even shortest PM, is considered bad moderating, and plain rude. Also, where I'm from we say lex retro non agit, as in the law does not work retroactively. Looks like here it does.
Xupicor

Postby Foxen » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:35 pm

It would be interesting to know what the complications were, at the very least
Foxen

Postby Accelevi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:30 pm

People unable to use common sense.
And the law didn't act retroactively.
The behavior happened so thus the rule change for the future.

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Xupicor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Let me address your points separately.

[quote="Add"]People unable to use common sense.[/quote]
This really is not an answer. What I'm asking (and realize that I'm not the only one) is what good does this limitation do? What is the reason behind the rule? And what exactly you were expecting to happen that didn't when you lowered the limit?

[quote="Add"]And the law didn't act retroactively.
The behavior happened so thus the rule change for the future.[/quote]
But it did.
- You changed the limit from 15 to 5 posts.
- I had 5, and posted about it in the appropriate topic. With that new post I had 6 and still couldn't post outside of Newbie Area.
- You changed the limit to 10 posts.
- You deleted my post with no comment on that fact whatsoever.
- even though before I was covered by the rule and would be changed to a Registered User, now all of a sudden I was still under the limit, even though I [b]already reached it once[/b].
This is a good example of how [b]not[/b] to moderate a board, and why this particular rule makes life complicated for you, me, and people like me who are not willing to spam in topics they don't really want to post in, but have to in order to get to parts of the board they originally wanted to contribute to. The thing is, you're making a good work of scaring these users away and diminishing any will of contribution.

Believe it or not, I don't usually go after the staff on a board I just joined. Also, I'm not the one to be "too lazy" to post... I did join boards where you had to create a full fledged RPG character to be considered a member, that's to say you had to write a short (or not so short) story about your character that was peer-reviewed, among other things. Only then would you be a full member of the boards AND a player in online RP game. (Yes, you had to write a story to even get in-game)
That was a good idea given that the board/game population was all about story/role-play oriented players - what is the reason behind this x-post limitation here?
Xupicor

Postby Accelevi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:08 pm

Huh?
If I change the limit for "newbie" post requirement (how the board recognizes, not Newbie Area), then people who signed up before then shouldn't be affected by it.

I had it as 15 [discussed it with mod], and it seemed to work out, but people were complaining, so I relented and tried out 5 and the spam and quality of posts dropped quite a bit, from those who just exited out. So I tried out 10, and it seems to be working out better for now.

The reason behind this is because of the bots + the quality of posts.
> @15: Some complain, but general quality of posts from those who get out are good
> @5: No complaints, but quality drops large amount
So I try 10. Fewer complaints, quality seems to be doing alright for now.

EDIT: Common sense as in things that should be done:
• Reading rules/etc/announcements
• Checking first post of a thread if you wish to post so you know what to do
• Using search bar to see if it's been discussed 3294892308490384 times
• So on and so forth (spam posts/general idea of how everything goes in the forum/"foundation" knowledge"/etc)

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby Ghosthunter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:58 am

Xupicor wrote:stuff

Ghosthunter

Next

Return to Staff Announcements - Where staff only will post