Realism vs Gameplay Features

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Realism vs Gameplay Features

Postby Weapioneer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:23 am

Hello!
I made this thread to discuss and debate about the fine balance between realism and gameplay features. As you know, People die by the hoard in SnK. The more realistic the game gets, the higher skill a person would have to have to even survive 5 min and the steeper the skill curve rises. Making the game fun is about balancing realism and gameplay so the game is neither too easy nor too ridiculously hard. So, here are some features I thought about to debate this issue on.

blade damage depends on kill damage- this obviously would suck for gameplay since high damage becomes a handicap, and being good will make you need to resupply blades often.
fall damage- again, this would make many people die a lot more
smacking-into-the-wall damage- this would kill more people than titans T_T
crushed by dead titan's body- this is why people should perfect flybys just like in SnK
equal blade sizes- They don't get customized blades, so i don't understand why their blades are different sizes. personally, it hasn't made a difference to me, gameplay wise
titan ai boost- this is going to happen eventually, and will increase realism and death rates :D
solid wire physics and collision- this would make many maneuvers get reduced effect, or not even work outright
reloading blades on a wall- just being able to reload your blades when you are hanging on the side of a wall
g-forces- a high speed yo-yo reeling maneuver would create near lethal G force for most people. However, this addition would make it difficult, if not impossible, to achieve high damage.
randomized titan models- this is partly eye candy, but even in SnK, the titan classes are just an estimation of the size of the titans, rather than the fixed sizes that they appear in. this will mean that people would have to analyze a target before attacking.

Well, that is all i can think about for now. Please comment your thoughts about them, as well as any other realism-vs-gameplay ideas you have.
Thanks for reading,
Weapioneer
Weapioneer

Re: Realism vs Gameplay Features

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:46 am

This is the wrong section.
Try here
And I think it's already suggested.
Annie Leonhardt

Postby Weapioneer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:51 am

Annie Leonhardt wrote:This is the wrong section.
Try here
And I think it's already suggested.

Oh, sorry about the wrong forum. I made this thread for discussion of balancing gameplay, rather than giving feng suggestions, since i think he already has boat loads of them :)
What do you think about the ideas?
Weapioneer

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:57 am

All are pretty good.
G-force didn't affected them in the show, so why would it here? :P
Anyway, gamrplay > realism. What I'm saying is that he shouldn't risk the gameplay for realism. We don't have to be 100% canon on everything.
Annie Leonhardt

Postby Tiddlyfisher » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:51 am

Damage from hitting the ground/wall/tree too hard is something that I think should be implemented, but rather than taking damage and dying, you just get a stun effect.

Blade damage depending on the score is also something I've thought about.

If a blade has 25 "hits", then every 200 damage should cost 1 hit, meaning if you get for example 600, you use 3 hits. It only makes sense if you hit harder your blades dull faster.

Most people run out of gas before they use all of their blades anyway, so what's the point of all the extra blades if you never even use them?
Tiddlyfisher

Re:

Postby Annie Leonhardt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:21 am

Tiddlyfisher wrote:If a blade has 25 "hits", then every 200 damage should cost 1 hit, meaning if you get for example 600, you use 3 hits. It only makes sense if you hit harder your blades dull fasterr.

If you strike harder, your hit will be more clean so you should take lesser damage to your blades.
Annie Leonhardt

Postby Tiddlyfisher » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:38 am

Annie Leonhardt wrote:If you strike harder, your hit will be more clean so you should take lesser damage to your blades.

Hard strike =/= clean strike.

A hard strike that digs deep into the nape isn't going to be very clean.

Even if you do get a clean cut, the friction and force against the blades will still make them dull faster.
Tiddlyfisher

Postby Weapioneer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:49 am

Well, remeber the time in Trost, when Mikasa took out the aberrant that was charging at the civilians? She dulled her blades with one strike, a long range flyby. Therefore, more damage == more durability lost. However, I think the inverse should be applied ingame, for increasing the need to do precision kills. Hence- low damage means messy cuts, which can cause the blade to bend and snap. High damage means speedy clean cuts, which mean less wear on the blade.
Weapioneer

Postby Doki » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:48 am

I've always thought that the game was pretty inconsistent with the series in some aspects, such as the durability of the blades and gas, and also the behavior of the titans. I always thought a cool way to spice the game up would be to make gas and blades last less (or like you guys suggested, making damage scale with damage dealt), making you actually conserve gas instead of having it always on, and actually having to recharge your blades in battle during maps other than Annie. You could balance this a bit by making it possible to get a small refill from corpses of other players, or like some people suggested a character who can refill other characters, maybe Armin or a new character for that, such as Christa or Connie. As for titans, i think the main thing missing at the moment are more varied attacks (read:GRABS) to change the game a bit. I mean, imagine normal titans with Annie's sweet air grab, that would make for some surprise moments, and actually penalize you when you're stuck on a titan's armpit, which i find to happen quite often. Also, give the abnormal titans the 3-slap, there, the game is now 10x harder. :^)
Doki

Postby Noodler » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:02 am

Making people refill all the time wouldn't make the game fun :T
Noodler

Next

Return to General Discussion