Flare Systems (Check it out, you know you want to ^-^)

( ̄ε(# ̄)☆╰╮Every thing about the game.o( ̄皿 ̄///)
- Made by Feng, title edited by Accelevi

Flare Systems (Check it out, you know you want to ^-^)

Postby Someone Legit » Wed May 28, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks for clicking this topic lol, hope it's good enough ^-^
Now well, you should have probably understood what I meant by Flare Systems (FS for short).
For those that didn't, FSs are, simply put, set values to a single or combination of flares. Some examples will be given now.
Know, most of you (if not all) should be aware that a Flare System did indeed exist in the anime / manga, the Canon Flare System
Canon Flare System
Green : New direction of scouting formation
Red : Titan sighted
Black : Abnormal sighted

For obvious reasons, that FS has no place in aottg.
Welp, I'd totally forgotten they had more flares in the anime / manga, props to Weaponeer for giving us all a reminder ^^
Full Canon Flare system
The ammo the Survey Corps uses for the 57th expedition beyond the Walls is the following :
Weapioneer wrote:
Green - Change direction of the formation: Fired by the commander in one direction to indicate a change in the direction, and then repeated by the relay soldiers.
Red - Titan spotted.
Black - Deviant Type Titan spotted.
Purple - An emergency of some kind.
Blue - An order to retreat.
Yellow - This lets everyone know that the mission has been terminated, be it successfully or failed.
Sound- While leading the Female Titan through the Forest of Giant Trees, Levi used a special shell that emitted a high-pitched noise.

I'll be presenting the Adjusted Canon FS now.
Adjusted Canon Flare System
Green : Single titan sighted, engaging
Red : Many titans (more than one), help
Black : Abnormal / Many titans spotted (3+), help

But, truth be told, that's a FS useful to newbies only, because there's no need for any "good" player to report every little thing he sees or does.
I'll be presenting my personal FS now, the Sinter FS
Sinter Flare System
Red : Many titans (3+ biggies), help
Black : Crawler sighted
Red + Black : Double Crawler / Teamed Crawler
Green is used to respond to those flares, as it's depicted in the next spoiler
Spoiler:
Green -> Black : A crawler / The crawler is dead
Green -> Red : I've seen your location, coming over to help you
Green : Just to make yourself more "obvious" (obvious = more easy to notice) for whatever reason

Another FS was suggested to me by Dikasa
Simion Flare System
Black : Crawler
Red : Backup Black : Crawler
Green : Help

Another one was also suggested by MilesOWood
Simple Flare System
Green : Help
Red : Large Titan Group
Black : Jumper
Red + Black : Crawler

Lastly, a quick suggestion by Levvuny, backed by Hibiki
Levi System Flare
Green : Come here / Lots of titans
Red : Bundle of abnormals, help
Black : Crawler

An advanced teamwork-heavy Flare System + General game etiquette by A7X Rogue Titan
TitanFall Formation
Green : Regroup venue, either immediate or after disposing an group of titans nearby
Red : Spotted a single titan (for City) or group of titans (3+), engaging, help would be appreciated
Black : Player Titan / Crawler sighted
Spoiler:
Game Etiquette :
1) Always keep sight of your comrades
2) In case of Large Group / Player Titan / Crawler, break up into pre-arranged teams of two to minimise potential casualties
3) Once the threat is no more, converge on the Green flare, by command of the group leader, or the next in command
The flare may be shot in advance if the leader thinks it's for the best
4) In City, in case you spot the last titan, shoot a Red flare to show his location, just in case

An exceptionally teamwork-heavy flare system, complete with formation "roles" (idk the right expression ._.) by d_OVRKLL
Overkill Formation
1 Green: General marking of a safe location. If players see a green flare, they can trust that going over there is safe.
1 Red: "Danger". Should mark somewhere that is dangerous.
1 Black: Abnormal sighted. To be used by those in combat for the Scout to see

Theoretical Flare Codes
1 Black 1 Green (SCOUT): This means they notice a crawler on the map, but it isn't approaching anyone
1 Black 1 Red (SCOUT): Crawler OR regular Abnormal sighted and IT IS APPROACHING teammates
1 Green 1 Red (PLAYERS IN COMBAT): "Come here, assistance needed". Probably to be used by the Front Line to ask for help from the Support and the other way around.
2 Black (PLAYERS IN COMBAT): If a team (2 or more people) are at a location swarmed with Abnornals and needs assistance

Personal opinion about this ^, very communicative but it would take quite some practice, and it's also aimed at "average" skilled people imo
If the maps got bigger and titans harder though, this would probably be the best we could get ^^
Thanks for reading all of this, please comment on any or all FSs, make any suggestions for a new Flare System or just, you know, ask some questions '-'
Last edited by Someone Legit on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Someone Legit

Re: Flare Systems (Check it out, you know you want to ^-^)

Postby Levvuny » Wed May 28, 2014 12:27 am

Nice! Good job making this, Someone! ^_^
Levvuny

Postby Accelevi » Wed May 28, 2014 1:00 am

What's the point of this?
It's not official, and it's all up to the host/players to decide what they mean, besides a few basics.

Sig courtesy of Zarythe <3

C A D E A U X
Accelevi
« Administrator »

Postby TitanFodder » Wed May 28, 2014 1:12 am

What's up with all the emphasis on Crawlers? They aren't even a big deal, especially for experienced players. I think a good flare system should involve signalling the location of a player titan.
TitanFodder

Postby BSC » Wed May 28, 2014 3:46 am

Flare system is too..impossible to really use when defined outside of the game. For one, not everybody visits the forum too look at threads like this. If you really want a useful flare system in use, define what each mean at the Start of the game. I simply use flares to notify players of something nasty like abnormals or crawlers. If I'm trying to help players to kill if they're noob, I use flares to indicate where titans are for them to try to kill. As said earlier, you can't really utilise a flare system before joining a game unless Feng specifically adds in details of what each mean, which I doubt he will. He'll probably leave these things to our own devices.
BSC

Postby Z.E.D » Wed May 28, 2014 6:06 am

You forgot

All flares = PLayer titan
Z.E.D

Postby d_OVRKLL » Wed May 28, 2014 6:16 am

Accelevi wrote:What's the point of this?
It's not official, and it's all up to the host/players to decide what they mean, besides a few basics.

BSC wrote:Flare system is too..impossible to really use when defined outside of the game. For one, not everybody visits the forum too look at threads like this. If you really want a useful flare system in use, define what each mean at the Start of the game. I simply use flares to notify players of something nasty like abnormals or crawlers. If I'm trying to help players to kill if they're noob, I use flares to indicate where titans are for them to try to kill. As said earlier, you can't really utilise a flare system before joining a game unless Feng specifically adds in details of what each mean, which I doubt he will. He'll probably leave these things to our own devices.

What's with all the negativity, guys. Instead of talking about what it is or isn't RIGHT NOW, let's discuss what it COULD be. The point is so that if people haven't been able to come up with a system, they can use this as one or they can use it as a starting point for developing their own. Maybe eventually, it can be come a standard. I feel like the point he was getting at was the flares can be utilized in more sophisticated ways to help improve the gameplay experience, so he was just putting an idea out there. That's how the non-existent come to fruition; from an idea.

This reminds me of a thread I wrote a while ago about team organization and I had a similar system for flare usage at the end: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7011

My Theoretical Flare System
1 Green: General marking of a safe location. If players see a green flare, they can trust that going over there is safe.
1 Red: "Danger". Should mark somewhere that is dangerous.
1 Black: Abnormal sighted. To be used by those in combat for the Scout to see

Theoretical Flare Codes
1 Black 1 Green (SCOUT): This means they notice a crawler on the map, but it isn't approaching anyone
1 Black 1 Red (SCOUT): Crawler OR regular Abnormal sighted and IT IS APPROACHING teammates
1 Green 1 Red (PLAYERS IN COMBAT): "Come here, assistance needed". Probably to be used by the Front Line to ask for help from the Support and the other way around.
2 Black (PLAYERS IN COMBAT): If a team (2 or more people) are at a location swormed with Abnornals and needs assistance

I really really like this because it works in conjunction with the system I had where I had someone be designated as the scout. It can help make mid game communication fluid and consistent. The "Sinter Flare System" is pretty intuitive. The bottom 3 spoilers, I'm not very fond of.
d_OVRKLL

Postby BSC » Wed May 28, 2014 7:02 am

I know what you're saying but the reality is that this isn't going to spread unless everyone on forum tells the non-forumers what it means. I'm not saying it won't happen but the chance is too slim without having a strong community effort.
BSC

Postby The Rogue Titan » Wed May 28, 2014 9:03 am

Guys, I think he's mainly just sharing his views and ideas on the flare system so others can use it if they would like to. I like it. I probably won't use any of these because my friends and I have our own flare system, but it's good that you're giving ideas or taking them from others. ;)
I will kill all of the Titans. All of them! Exterminate them from this Earth. They are my prey now...
RIP Talons of Liberty
. Image
We fought hard but in the end we only succeeded in killing ourselves.

In-game name: A7XRogueTitan
The Rogue Titan

Formerly: A7X Rogue Titan

Postby Eters » Wed May 28, 2014 9:33 am

the flare system changes more often than you think , i've seen many times at the start of a round where people actually discuss what each flare means before starting to play.
but hey , it's nice to see that different combinations of flares result to a different message. nice work on that :)
Eters

Next

Return to General Discussion