D097 Skunkworks

Post your artworks here~! (๑>ᴗ<๑)
- Accelevi
Forum rules
Forget-me-not.

D097 Skunkworks

Postby deathsoul097 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:43 pm

I have decided to start posting artwork. Nuff said.

Spoiler:

As part of my visual research for a portfolio, (This is for a school Design/Illustration portfolio, not an official one.) I have to show I can work in different styles, and I chose to do a large-ish sketch of Matoko (Makoto? I have no idea.) from Danganronpa, with some slightly more believable proportions to him.

Nave:

Spoiler:

Random OC:

Post your opinions, constructive criticism and comments please, even if it's just "Cool", or "Nice". I want to know what people think.
Last edited by deathsoul097 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
deathsoul097

Re: D097 Skunkworks

Postby Kiwi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:31 pm

You're adding this to an official portfolio?
Just warning you now, colleges DO NOT look at anime-ish styled artworks or anything cartoony that's in your style, from what I heard. I am working on a portfolio as well, but I wouldn't add something like this into it. You should do some research before you start a portfolio, so you have basic idea on what you should add. All I know is that you have to show that you know the five principles of art and design, and draw all the way back to the basics. (Drawing from observation, like a bowl of fruit, not joking, paints, ink, textures, etc.)
This is not bad, but how does this show what you know? It just looks like fanart, and there is not much shading to begin with. And not to sound harsh, it doesn't look professional at all.
Sorry if I sound like a jerk but it's just my opinion.
Kiwi

Postby deathsoul097 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:36 pm

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. This is for a school Design/Illustration portfolio, not an official one. I have to show I can work with multiple illustration styles, so I chose to replicate the Dangan Ronpa artwork t an extent. It's more of just showing that I can actually draw something in a different way than anything else. (I'm 15, after all, so I'm not going to be able to produce something like Picasso. ^_^) Oh, and as for the lack of shading, I used what little shading there is to show and shade just as much as the original, but I did it with a mechanical pencil, so it's missing quite a bit as the original was rendered out quite nicely.
deathsoul097

Postby Kiwi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:49 pm

I wasn't saying that you should be like Picasso because no one would be equivalent to him anyways. :|
But ah, ok, I see now. Like I said, it's not bad. I was seriously concerned with this because I thought you were adding this into a portfolio for college or something, my bad.
Kiwi

Postby deathsoul097 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:17 pm

That's ok, and don't worry about the Picasso bit, I was joking. ^_^
deathsoul097

Postby ocean. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:45 pm

i think the best advice would be to keep drawing ^^

an important part of drawing is observation. as you draw more things and ideas, thousands of times, you develop a visual library. this means that things you see in reference will appear in your head when you draw from imagination. i dont recommend this slow process forever, because i think studies on many things will improve your progress as well, but i think at this stage it is necessary to stay inspired and keep drawing.

also, i am only 16 years, so dont be fooled into thinking you have forever to procrastinate x) for past couple of months i have believed the same thing, and my progress slowed a lot. aim to triple your skill by the time you are in college! whatever ambition it takes to get you drawing :D
ocean.

Postby deathsoul097 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks for the tips, and man, you would not believe how much I have improved recently. Frankly, I have never even considered going to one of the art colleges in my country, as it's not my cup of tea. (TBH, there's only really two anyway. Yay for 4 Million people in the entire country.) I have ben working on a character/persona for a couple of days now, as well as some generic sketching, but recently I've just been doing research for my project/portfolio/display board/thing-a-ma-jig.

I called him Nave, as it is Latvian for death, and I feel that the name is appropriate for such an antihero type.

Spoiler:

Random OC:

deathsoul097

Postby Gin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:46 pm

I've just found that I enjoy looking at your artowrk, heheh. Keep it up!
Gin

Return to Graphic Showcase